Re: [PPLetterpress] 3 phase to single, help please.

  • edgar L weber
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
      Hi Mable,
      Mike's suggestion is probably the cheapest way to go unless you can find a
      used but reliable converter.
      Word of warning on replacement motors -- be sure that the mounting dimensions,
      and the height from base to shaft center line, match or can be readily adapted.
      Newer motors of the same Horsepower are often physically smaller. If you have
      to have a special mount/adapter made that can easily cost more than the motor.
      Ed Weber
      Tombstone Beaver Press

      "Michael T. Metz" wrote:

      > Hi Mable,
      >
      > In my opinion, the simplest solution would be to find two used
      > single phase motors with the same shaft size so you can use your
      > existing variable speed pulleys. Keep or sell the 3p motors.
      >
      > Mike Metz
      > Lamppost Press

    • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
        I have been using a Phase-A-Matic Converter wired into
        a secondary motor which supplies temporary voltage on
        startup.

        It certainly had to be wired by an electrician and
        mine cost 250.00 for wiring and pahse converter but
        unfortunately the motors were about 300.00 ea.

        Each Vertical I have and my folder with a right angle
        run off this setup with the only exception being for
        the folder the secondary motor is a 5 H.P. The Miehle
        secondary motors are 3 H.P.

        Hope this helps.

        Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
        Southwest Finishing, Inc.
        Ft.Worth, Texas
      • mark baisi
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
          Hi,
          A year ago I had to buy a 3 phase converter for my Heidelberg GTO. I got a
          very small transitor unit from speedco for a mere $400.00 cdn. It's a small
          box that mounts on the wall, about 6 inches square. The conversion is done
          with transistors etc so the unit does not put out any noise or heat. I was
          doubtful about the unit when I first purchased it as I had only seen big
          mechanical converters more around the $2000 mark.
          It has worked flawlessly for a year, and has had many long hard shifts. The
          unit is programable as well so you can adjust the speed in which in comes up
          to power and how it shuts down. All original wiring and safeties remain
          intact.
          If and when I get another piece of three phase equipment I wouldn't
          hesitate to buy another one of these units.
          mark

          >From: "mableylee" <mableylee@...>
          >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [PPLetterpress] 3 phase to single, help please.
          >Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:36:33 -0000
          >
          >Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18
          >C&P NS). Both
          >are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the
          >printing company I
          >purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with
          >only single
          >phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few
          >have
          >suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have
          >advised replacing
          >the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be
          >appreciated!
          >Much thanks, Mable

        • Casey
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
            I'm going through the same thing, i have a 3 phase motor on my Vandercook 32-28 and I
            need to make it a single phase. To have my box and a line run would be a $1000 easy what
            I'm told, but I can buy the motor for $475. I'm buying the motor.

            ::
            Casey McGarr
            BarGarr Letterpress
          • Casey
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
              I'm going through the same thing, i have a 3 phase motor on my Vandercook 32-28 and I
              need to make it a single phase. To have my box converted and a line run would be a $1000
              easy what I'm told, but I can buy the Single phase motor for $475, I'm buying the motor.

              ::
              Casey McGarr
              BarGarr Letterpress
            • mableylee
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                Thank you for all the great suggestions and advice! It's nice to know
                I have a few options. Take care, Mable
              • Joel at D.L.
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                  I put a single-phase motor on a 10 x 15 windmill, but I find it doesn't
                  have the power that the three-phase motors do. The speed runs
                  considerably slower than the figure on the speed control would indicate,
                  and I find that it overheats when I run it too fast with a heavy forme,
                  and pops the breaker built in to the on-off switch. So I just slow it
                  down. It's only a problem on long runs with lots of printing area.

                  I don't have any experience with phase converters, but if I were to do
                  it again I'd get the converter. Or, if you're in it for the long haul,
                  get the electrical service upgrade.

                  Joel

                  Dependable Letterpress
                  San Francisco

                  mableylee wrote:

                  >Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18 C&P NS). Both
                  >are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the printing company I
                  >purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with only single
                  >phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few have
                  >suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have advised replacing
                  >the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated!
                  >Much thanks, Mable
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Michael T. Metz
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                    Or, a bigger (more hp) single phase motor.
                    Folks have told me that the HP rating on
                    a single phase motor won't pull what the
                    same rating on a 3ph. What HP is your
                    motor?

                    mableylee wrote:

                    >Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18
                    C&P NS). Both
                    >are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the
                    printing company I
                    >purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with
                    only single
                    >phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few
                    have
                    >suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have
                    advised replacing
                    >the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be
                    appreciated!
                    >Much thanks, Mable
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Joel at D.L.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                      Michael T. Metz wrote:

                      >Or, a bigger (more hp) single phase motor.
                      >Folks have told me that the HP rating on
                      >a single phase motor won't pull what the
                      >same rating on a 3ph. What HP is your
                      >motor?

                      The single phase motor is 2 hp, the three phase one was 1-1/2. I had a
                      press mechanic source it for me, and assume he knew what he was doing.
                      Maybe bigger motors require other kinds of monkeying around to make them
                      fit...

                      I saved my three-phase motor, and I'm looking forward to the day I can
                      put it back on.

                      Joel
                    • mableylee
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                        Hello Michael,

                        The Heidelberg has 3hp, C&P has 2.

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T. Metz" <mtmetz@s...>
                        wrote:

                        > Or, a bigger (more hp) single phase motor.
                        > Folks have told me that the HP rating on
                        > a single phase motor won't pull what the
                        > same rating on a 3ph. What HP is your
                        > motor?

                      • Michael T. Metz
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                          Hi Joel,

                          Sorry about how that turned out. I think
                          you should talk to the guy that set you
                          up with the 2hp motor. It doesn't sound
                          like he did his job.

                          Does the motor bog down when you engage
                          the clutch? What are the other specs on
                          the motor? RPM, etc.

                          Mike

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                            My Heidelberg parts book talks about the different
                            motors to use with different electricity setups.
                            The single current setup has a caveat. Granted
                            this book was written in the 50s, and motor technology
                            has probably changed.

                            For Single-phase Alternating Current:

                            One single phase alternating current motor, 1.1kW=1.5 HP rated
                            output, 1400 to 1500 rpm. Drip proof. Standard base motor with
                            free shaft end. ...

                            Then it continues, and this might be your problem.

                            "This applies only to the repulsion motor with commutator.
                            Induction motors are not suitable, because of their inability to
                            start under load. The repulsion motor, on the other hand, has
                            a high starting torque; however, it has the characteristic of
                            racing (increasing the speed to a dangerous extent) when
                            started without load. Therefore, it is necessary to arrange a single-
                            phase switch which is attached to the bracket carrying the
                            sucker bar movement in such a way that if the machine is stopped
                            by means of the handle the curcuit is also broken."

                            I personally couldn't tell you the difference between a repulsion
                            and an induction motor, or know if there is a third kind out
                            there that would work better. The point of all this: I shouldn't
                            be giving advice on what to do. Do you hear that Mable?

                            Mike

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 6, 2005
                              Michael T. Metz wrote:

                              >Does the motor bog down when you engage
                              >the clutch? What are the other specs on
                              >the motor? RPM, etc.

                              It's 1750 RPM, as I recall. The other specs meet or exceed the
                              Heidelberg requirements as posted earlier. The motor doesn't bog down
                              or cause other problems- it's only when running a heavy forme on a long
                              run at high speed that it pops the breaker. And even then, it's like
                              every 8 or 9 hundred it shuts off, unless I crank the speed down. Which
                              I do- I like it to keep running and anyway someone told me it's bad to
                              keep popping a breaker.

                              It's all on the level of minor annoyance, but as a believer in Doing It
                              Right I aspire to restoring the three-phase power. Now I feel like a
                              bit of a whiner; but in the great internet tradition of maximum
                              information, there is my experience with single phase.

                              Heidelberg may have accomodated the need to use single-phase power, but
                              I'm sure the machines were engineered with three-phase in mind. It's
                              standand, for industrial applications.

                              Joel
                            • chuck sumner
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 6, 2005
                                I recall a thread on the letpress list that may be useful and
                                inexpensive

                                https://listserv.unb.ca/cgi-bin/wa?
                                A2=ind0407&L=LETPRESS&P=R33002&D=0&H=0&I=-3&O=T&T=0

                                or: http://tinyurl.com/7jqmv

                                Good luck

                                On Nov 3, 2005, at 8:36 AM, mableylee wrote:

                                > Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and
                                > 12x18 C&P NS). Both
                                > are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the
                                > printing company I
                                > purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another
                                > building with only single
                                > phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines
                                > running? (A few have
                                > suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others
                                > have advised replacing
                                > the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would
                                > greatly be appreciated!
                                > Much thanks, Mable

                                > ~-->
                                > home page
                                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

                              • Fritz Klinke
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 7, 2005
                                  If you are referring to the breaker on the motor control switch that is on
                                  the press, then the same thing happened with our press using a rotary
                                  converter. We consulted with our local electrician who is a master licensed
                                  guy, and he suggested that we needed a new motor control switch or to change
                                  the heater links in the control that trip the breaker. We never tripped the
                                  main breaker in the electric panel that this press runs off. So, we just
                                  eliminated the breaker in the motor starter switch and it has run well since
                                  on many thousands of impressions. We couldn't figure if it had something to
                                  do with the use of the converter, or something else. I don't think it is a
                                  safety issue with the motor overheating because I am always present when the
                                  press is running and the motor never seems to get that hot. I cleaned out
                                  years of accumulated dust, lint, and crud inside the motor that was blocking
                                  air flow, and it just hums along.

                                  Fritz

                                  > It's 1750 RPM, as I recall. The other specs meet or exceed the
                                  > Heidelberg requirements as posted earlier. The motor doesn't bog down
                                  > or cause other problems- it's only when running a heavy forme on a long
                                  > run at high speed that it pops the breaker. And even then, it's like
                                  > every 8 or 9 hundred it shuts off, unless I crank the speed down. Which
                                  > I do- I like it to keep running and anyway someone told me it's bad to
                                  > keep popping a breaker.
                                  >
                                  > It's all on the level of minor annoyance, but as a believer in Doing It
                                  > Right I aspire to restoring the three-phase power. Now I feel like a
                                  > bit of a whiner; but in the great internet tradition of maximum
                                  > information, there is my experience with single phase.
                                  >
                                  > Heidelberg may have accomodated the need to use single-phase power, but
                                  > I'm sure the machines were engineered with three-phase in mind. It's
                                  > standand, for industrial applications.
                                  >
                                  > Joel

                                • Michael T. Metz
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 7, 2005
                                    Bingo Fritz. I think you scored on that one.
                                    That's a $25 fix.

                                    > It's 1750 RPM, as I recall. The other specs meet or exceed the
                                    > Heidelberg requirements as posted earlier. The motor doesn't bog down
                                    > or cause other problems- it's only when running a heavy forme on a long
                                    > run at high speed that it pops the breaker. And even then, it's like
                                    > every 8 or 9 hundred it shuts off, unless I crank the speed down. Which
                                    > I do- I like it to keep running and anyway someone told me it's bad to
                                    > keep popping a breaker.
                                    >
                                    > It's all on the level of minor annoyance, but as a believer in Doing It
                                    > Right I aspire to restoring the three-phase power. Now I feel like a
                                    > bit of a whiner; but in the great internet tradition of maximum
                                    > information, there is my experience with single phase.
                                    >
                                    > Heidelberg may have accomodated the need to use single-phase power, but
                                    > I'm sure the machines were engineered with three-phase in mind. It's
                                    > standand, for industrial applications.
                                    >
                                    > Joel

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • Joel at D.L.
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 7, 2005
                                      Hi Fritz-
                                      I never considered the breaker being the problem- maybe you're right. I
                                      am indeed referring to the breaker on the motor control switch. It came
                                      with the press and is not new. I've never tripped the main breaker in
                                      the electrical panel either. Thanks!

                                      Joel