Re: [PPLetterpress] 3 phase to single, help please.

  • edgar L weber
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
      Hi Mable,
      Mike's suggestion is probably the cheapest way to go unless you can find a
      used but reliable converter.
      Word of warning on replacement motors -- be sure that the mounting dimensions,
      and the height from base to shaft center line, match or can be readily adapted.
      Newer motors of the same Horsepower are often physically smaller. If you have
      to have a special mount/adapter made that can easily cost more than the motor.
      Ed Weber
      Tombstone Beaver Press

      "Michael T. Metz" wrote:

      > Hi Mable,
      >
      > In my opinion, the simplest solution would be to find two used
      > single phase motors with the same shaft size so you can use your
      > existing variable speed pulleys. Keep or sell the 3p motors.
      >
      > Mike Metz
      > Lamppost Press

    • Ludwig M. Solzen
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
        Mable

        I had the same problem when installing my Heidelberg 10×15 platen in the garage. Originally I tried with a phase converter—although a very cheap one, I confess. At first, it did well: I could use the variable speed pulley and so one. But after getting the press really in action (let say running for about an hour and a half), all of a sudden the atmosphere became foggy and the stank of burned rubber penetrated the house. Obviously the isolation material around the copper wire inside the motor had suffered too much heat and had started melting. In my experience a phase converter is no option.

        I also enquired after 3 phase distribution. The electricity provider charged almost the cost of a more expensive phase converter. If you need the 3 phase for only one machine, it makes of course more sense to have a (proper!) converter, which you can move along with your press in case you would ever need to move. In your case, with two machines, it is perhaps interesting to have 3 phase distributed at your home.

        In my case the most elegant and cheapest solution was to buy a brand new single phase motor with the same specifications, i.e. 1,5 A (about 120 euros). My Heidelberg windmill has been running perfectly well with this little upgrade, although from an aesthetical point of view I preferred the stout black A.C.E.C.

        (In case you would replace the motor, make sure you exactly mark what the original position was: this is of rather great importance as regards the belt which connects the motor with the flywheel.)

        Ludwig

        Btw: Congratulations on having a 12×18: beautiful versatile machine...

        ***
        Specifics original A.C.E.C. motor:

        Mot. AK 90 S 44 N
        31RM16065 33 Hz 50
        ap/ch 1,5 kW 3∿
        V 220/380 Δ/⋏ Cosφ 0,76
        A 4,95/2,85 lsl cl. | kl. E P 33
        1420 /min 64c
      • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
          I have been using a Phase-A-Matic Converter wired into
          a secondary motor which supplies temporary voltage on
          startup.

          It certainly had to be wired by an electrician and
          mine cost 250.00 for wiring and pahse converter but
          unfortunately the motors were about 300.00 ea.

          Each Vertical I have and my folder with a right angle
          run off this setup with the only exception being for
          the folder the secondary motor is a 5 H.P. The Miehle
          secondary motors are 3 H.P.

          Hope this helps.

          Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
          Southwest Finishing, Inc.
          Ft.Worth, Texas
        • mark baisi
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
            Hi,
            A year ago I had to buy a 3 phase converter for my Heidelberg GTO. I got a
            very small transitor unit from speedco for a mere $400.00 cdn. It's a small
            box that mounts on the wall, about 6 inches square. The conversion is done
            with transistors etc so the unit does not put out any noise or heat. I was
            doubtful about the unit when I first purchased it as I had only seen big
            mechanical converters more around the $2000 mark.
            It has worked flawlessly for a year, and has had many long hard shifts. The
            unit is programable as well so you can adjust the speed in which in comes up
            to power and how it shuts down. All original wiring and safeties remain
            intact.
            If and when I get another piece of three phase equipment I wouldn't
            hesitate to buy another one of these units.
            mark

            >From: "mableylee" <mableylee@...>
            >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [PPLetterpress] 3 phase to single, help please.
            >Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:36:33 -0000
            >
            >Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18
            >C&P NS). Both
            >are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the
            >printing company I
            >purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with
            >only single
            >phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few
            >have
            >suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have
            >advised replacing
            >the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be
            >appreciated!
            >Much thanks, Mable

          • Casey
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
              I'm going through the same thing, i have a 3 phase motor on my Vandercook 32-28 and I
              need to make it a single phase. To have my box and a line run would be a $1000 easy what
              I'm told, but I can buy the motor for $475. I'm buying the motor.

              ::
              Casey McGarr
              BarGarr Letterpress
            • Casey
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                I'm going through the same thing, i have a 3 phase motor on my Vandercook 32-28 and I
                need to make it a single phase. To have my box converted and a line run would be a $1000
                easy what I'm told, but I can buy the Single phase motor for $475, I'm buying the motor.

                ::
                Casey McGarr
                BarGarr Letterpress
              • mableylee
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Thank you for all the great suggestions and advice! It's nice to know
                  I have a few options. Take care, Mable
                • Joel at D.L.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                    I put a single-phase motor on a 10 x 15 windmill, but I find it doesn't
                    have the power that the three-phase motors do. The speed runs
                    considerably slower than the figure on the speed control would indicate,
                    and I find that it overheats when I run it too fast with a heavy forme,
                    and pops the breaker built in to the on-off switch. So I just slow it
                    down. It's only a problem on long runs with lots of printing area.

                    I don't have any experience with phase converters, but if I were to do
                    it again I'd get the converter. Or, if you're in it for the long haul,
                    get the electrical service upgrade.

                    Joel

                    Dependable Letterpress
                    San Francisco

                    mableylee wrote:

                    >Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18 C&P NS). Both
                    >are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the printing company I
                    >purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with only single
                    >phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few have
                    >suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have advised replacing
                    >the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated!
                    >Much thanks, Mable
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Michael T. Metz
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                      Or, a bigger (more hp) single phase motor.
                      Folks have told me that the HP rating on
                      a single phase motor won't pull what the
                      same rating on a 3ph. What HP is your
                      motor?

                      mableylee wrote:

                      >Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18
                      C&P NS). Both
                      >are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the
                      printing company I
                      >purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with
                      only single
                      >phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few
                      have
                      >suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have
                      advised replacing
                      >the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be
                      appreciated!
                      >Much thanks, Mable
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Joel at D.L.
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                        Michael T. Metz wrote:

                        >Or, a bigger (more hp) single phase motor.
                        >Folks have told me that the HP rating on
                        >a single phase motor won't pull what the
                        >same rating on a 3ph. What HP is your
                        >motor?

                        The single phase motor is 2 hp, the three phase one was 1-1/2. I had a
                        press mechanic source it for me, and assume he knew what he was doing.
                        Maybe bigger motors require other kinds of monkeying around to make them
                        fit...

                        I saved my three-phase motor, and I'm looking forward to the day I can
                        put it back on.

                        Joel
                      • mableylee
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                          Hello Michael,

                          The Heidelberg has 3hp, C&P has 2.

                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T. Metz" <mtmetz@s...>
                          wrote:

                          > Or, a bigger (more hp) single phase motor.
                          > Folks have told me that the HP rating on
                          > a single phase motor won't pull what the
                          > same rating on a 3ph. What HP is your
                          > motor?

                        • Michael T. Metz
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                            Hi Joel,

                            Sorry about how that turned out. I think
                            you should talk to the guy that set you
                            up with the 2hp motor. It doesn't sound
                            like he did his job.

                            Does the motor bog down when you engage
                            the clutch? What are the other specs on
                            the motor? RPM, etc.

                            Mike

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                              My Heidelberg parts book talks about the different
                              motors to use with different electricity setups.
                              The single current setup has a caveat. Granted
                              this book was written in the 50s, and motor technology
                              has probably changed.

                              For Single-phase Alternating Current:

                              One single phase alternating current motor, 1.1kW=1.5 HP rated
                              output, 1400 to 1500 rpm. Drip proof. Standard base motor with
                              free shaft end. ...

                              Then it continues, and this might be your problem.

                              "This applies only to the repulsion motor with commutator.
                              Induction motors are not suitable, because of their inability to
                              start under load. The repulsion motor, on the other hand, has
                              a high starting torque; however, it has the characteristic of
                              racing (increasing the speed to a dangerous extent) when
                              started without load. Therefore, it is necessary to arrange a single-
                              phase switch which is attached to the bracket carrying the
                              sucker bar movement in such a way that if the machine is stopped
                              by means of the handle the curcuit is also broken."

                              I personally couldn't tell you the difference between a repulsion
                              and an induction motor, or know if there is a third kind out
                              there that would work better. The point of all this: I shouldn't
                              be giving advice on what to do. Do you hear that Mable?

                              Mike

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 6, 2005
                                Michael T. Metz wrote:

                                >Does the motor bog down when you engage
                                >the clutch? What are the other specs on
                                >the motor? RPM, etc.

                                It's 1750 RPM, as I recall. The other specs meet or exceed the
                                Heidelberg requirements as posted earlier. The motor doesn't bog down
                                or cause other problems- it's only when running a heavy forme on a long
                                run at high speed that it pops the breaker. And even then, it's like
                                every 8 or 9 hundred it shuts off, unless I crank the speed down. Which
                                I do- I like it to keep running and anyway someone told me it's bad to
                                keep popping a breaker.

                                It's all on the level of minor annoyance, but as a believer in Doing It
                                Right I aspire to restoring the three-phase power. Now I feel like a
                                bit of a whiner; but in the great internet tradition of maximum
                                information, there is my experience with single phase.

                                Heidelberg may have accomodated the need to use single-phase power, but
                                I'm sure the machines were engineered with three-phase in mind. It's
                                standand, for industrial applications.

                                Joel
                              • chuck sumner
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 6, 2005
                                  I recall a thread on the letpress list that may be useful and
                                  inexpensive

                                  https://listserv.unb.ca/cgi-bin/wa?
                                  A2=ind0407&L=LETPRESS&P=R33002&D=0&H=0&I=-3&O=T&T=0

                                  or: http://tinyurl.com/7jqmv

                                  Good luck

                                  On Nov 3, 2005, at 8:36 AM, mableylee wrote:

                                  > Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and
                                  > 12x18 C&P NS). Both
                                  > are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the
                                  > printing company I
                                  > purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another
                                  > building with only single
                                  > phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines
                                  > running? (A few have
                                  > suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others
                                  > have advised replacing
                                  > the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would
                                  > greatly be appreciated!
                                  > Much thanks, Mable

                                  > ~-->
                                  > home page
                                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

                                • Fritz Klinke
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 7, 2005
                                    If you are referring to the breaker on the motor control switch that is on
                                    the press, then the same thing happened with our press using a rotary
                                    converter. We consulted with our local electrician who is a master licensed
                                    guy, and he suggested that we needed a new motor control switch or to change
                                    the heater links in the control that trip the breaker. We never tripped the
                                    main breaker in the electric panel that this press runs off. So, we just
                                    eliminated the breaker in the motor starter switch and it has run well since
                                    on many thousands of impressions. We couldn't figure if it had something to
                                    do with the use of the converter, or something else. I don't think it is a
                                    safety issue with the motor overheating because I am always present when the
                                    press is running and the motor never seems to get that hot. I cleaned out
                                    years of accumulated dust, lint, and crud inside the motor that was blocking
                                    air flow, and it just hums along.

                                    Fritz

                                    > It's 1750 RPM, as I recall. The other specs meet or exceed the
                                    > Heidelberg requirements as posted earlier. The motor doesn't bog down
                                    > or cause other problems- it's only when running a heavy forme on a long
                                    > run at high speed that it pops the breaker. And even then, it's like
                                    > every 8 or 9 hundred it shuts off, unless I crank the speed down. Which
                                    > I do- I like it to keep running and anyway someone told me it's bad to
                                    > keep popping a breaker.
                                    >
                                    > It's all on the level of minor annoyance, but as a believer in Doing It
                                    > Right I aspire to restoring the three-phase power. Now I feel like a
                                    > bit of a whiner; but in the great internet tradition of maximum
                                    > information, there is my experience with single phase.
                                    >
                                    > Heidelberg may have accomodated the need to use single-phase power, but
                                    > I'm sure the machines were engineered with three-phase in mind. It's
                                    > standand, for industrial applications.
                                    >
                                    > Joel

                                  • Michael T. Metz
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 7, 2005
                                      Bingo Fritz. I think you scored on that one.
                                      That's a $25 fix.

                                      > It's 1750 RPM, as I recall. The other specs meet or exceed the
                                      > Heidelberg requirements as posted earlier. The motor doesn't bog down
                                      > or cause other problems- it's only when running a heavy forme on a long
                                      > run at high speed that it pops the breaker. And even then, it's like
                                      > every 8 or 9 hundred it shuts off, unless I crank the speed down. Which
                                      > I do- I like it to keep running and anyway someone told me it's bad to
                                      > keep popping a breaker.
                                      >
                                      > It's all on the level of minor annoyance, but as a believer in Doing It
                                      > Right I aspire to restoring the three-phase power. Now I feel like a
                                      > bit of a whiner; but in the great internet tradition of maximum
                                      > information, there is my experience with single phase.
                                      >
                                      > Heidelberg may have accomodated the need to use single-phase power, but
                                      > I'm sure the machines were engineered with three-phase in mind. It's
                                      > standand, for industrial applications.
                                      >
                                      > Joel

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    • Joel at D.L.
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 7, 2005
                                        Hi Fritz-
                                        I never considered the breaker being the problem- maybe you're right. I
                                        am indeed referring to the breaker on the motor control switch. It came
                                        with the press and is not new. I've never tripped the main breaker in
                                        the electrical panel either. Thanks!

                                        Joel