3 phase to single, help please.

  • mableylee
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
      Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18 C&P NS). Both
      are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the printing company I
      purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with only single
      phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few have
      suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have advised replacing
      the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated!
      Much thanks, Mable
    • Kevin Cox
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
        I dodged that bullet when I bought my Vertical, but from what I found
        when I thought I might have to convert was that a phase converter was
        cheaper than buying a new motor. I did a little window shopping at
        www.grainger.com for phase converters and I talked with an
        electrician friend of mine who thought that a converter would be a
        less expensive way to go. Since my motor turned out to be single
        phase I didn't have to worry about it. I would call around to
        industrial supply houses and get their recommendations.

        Hope this helps some, good luck. Kevin.
      • Michael T. Metz
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
          Hi Mable,

          In my opinion, the simplest solution would be to find two used
          single phase motors with the same shaft size so you can use your
          existing variable speed pulleys. Keep or sell the 3p motors.

          Mike Metz
          Lamppost Press

          Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18
          C&P NS). Both
          are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the printing
          company I
          purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with
          only single
          phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few
          have
          suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have advised
          replacing
          the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be
          appreciated!
          Much thanks, Mable

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • edgar L weber
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
            Hi Mable,
            Mike's suggestion is probably the cheapest way to go unless you can find a
            used but reliable converter.
            Word of warning on replacement motors -- be sure that the mounting dimensions,
            and the height from base to shaft center line, match or can be readily adapted.
            Newer motors of the same Horsepower are often physically smaller. If you have
            to have a special mount/adapter made that can easily cost more than the motor.
            Ed Weber
            Tombstone Beaver Press

            "Michael T. Metz" wrote:

            > Hi Mable,
            >
            > In my opinion, the simplest solution would be to find two used
            > single phase motors with the same shaft size so you can use your
            > existing variable speed pulleys. Keep or sell the 3p motors.
            >
            > Mike Metz
            > Lamppost Press

          • Ludwig M. Solzen
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
              Mable

              I had the same problem when installing my Heidelberg 10×15 platen in the garage. Originally I tried with a phase converter—although a very cheap one, I confess. At first, it did well: I could use the variable speed pulley and so one. But after getting the press really in action (let say running for about an hour and a half), all of a sudden the atmosphere became foggy and the stank of burned rubber penetrated the house. Obviously the isolation material around the copper wire inside the motor had suffered too much heat and had started melting. In my experience a phase converter is no option.

              I also enquired after 3 phase distribution. The electricity provider charged almost the cost of a more expensive phase converter. If you need the 3 phase for only one machine, it makes of course more sense to have a (proper!) converter, which you can move along with your press in case you would ever need to move. In your case, with two machines, it is perhaps interesting to have 3 phase distributed at your home.

              In my case the most elegant and cheapest solution was to buy a brand new single phase motor with the same specifications, i.e. 1,5 A (about 120 euros). My Heidelberg windmill has been running perfectly well with this little upgrade, although from an aesthetical point of view I preferred the stout black A.C.E.C.

              (In case you would replace the motor, make sure you exactly mark what the original position was: this is of rather great importance as regards the belt which connects the motor with the flywheel.)

              Ludwig

              Btw: Congratulations on having a 12×18: beautiful versatile machine...

              ***
              Specifics original A.C.E.C. motor:

              Mot. AK 90 S 44 N
              31RM16065 33 Hz 50
              ap/ch 1,5 kW 3∿
              V 220/380 Δ/⋏ Cosφ 0,76
              A 4,95/2,85 lsl cl. | kl. E P 33
              1420 /min 64c
            • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 3, 2005
                I have been using a Phase-A-Matic Converter wired into
                a secondary motor which supplies temporary voltage on
                startup.

                It certainly had to be wired by an electrician and
                mine cost 250.00 for wiring and pahse converter but
                unfortunately the motors were about 300.00 ea.

                Each Vertical I have and my folder with a right angle
                run off this setup with the only exception being for
                the folder the secondary motor is a 5 H.P. The Miehle
                secondary motors are 3 H.P.

                Hope this helps.

                Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
                Southwest Finishing, Inc.
                Ft.Worth, Texas
              • mark baisi
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Hi,
                  A year ago I had to buy a 3 phase converter for my Heidelberg GTO. I got a
                  very small transitor unit from speedco for a mere $400.00 cdn. It's a small
                  box that mounts on the wall, about 6 inches square. The conversion is done
                  with transistors etc so the unit does not put out any noise or heat. I was
                  doubtful about the unit when I first purchased it as I had only seen big
                  mechanical converters more around the $2000 mark.
                  It has worked flawlessly for a year, and has had many long hard shifts. The
                  unit is programable as well so you can adjust the speed in which in comes up
                  to power and how it shuts down. All original wiring and safeties remain
                  intact.
                  If and when I get another piece of three phase equipment I wouldn't
                  hesitate to buy another one of these units.
                  mark

                  >From: "mableylee" <mableylee@...>
                  >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [PPLetterpress] 3 phase to single, help please.
                  >Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:36:33 -0000
                  >
                  >Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18
                  >C&P NS). Both
                  >are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the
                  >printing company I
                  >purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with
                  >only single
                  >phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few
                  >have
                  >suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have
                  >advised replacing
                  >the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be
                  >appreciated!
                  >Much thanks, Mable

                • Casey
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                    I'm going through the same thing, i have a 3 phase motor on my Vandercook 32-28 and I
                    need to make it a single phase. To have my box and a line run would be a $1000 easy what
                    I'm told, but I can buy the motor for $475. I'm buying the motor.

                    ::
                    Casey McGarr
                    BarGarr Letterpress
                  • Casey
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                      I'm going through the same thing, i have a 3 phase motor on my Vandercook 32-28 and I
                      need to make it a single phase. To have my box converted and a line run would be a $1000
                      easy what I'm told, but I can buy the Single phase motor for $475, I'm buying the motor.

                      ::
                      Casey McGarr
                      BarGarr Letterpress
                    • mableylee
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                        Thank you for all the great suggestions and advice! It's nice to know
                        I have a few options. Take care, Mable
                      • Joel at D.L.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                          I put a single-phase motor on a 10 x 15 windmill, but I find it doesn't
                          have the power that the three-phase motors do. The speed runs
                          considerably slower than the figure on the speed control would indicate,
                          and I find that it overheats when I run it too fast with a heavy forme,
                          and pops the breaker built in to the on-off switch. So I just slow it
                          down. It's only a problem on long runs with lots of printing area.

                          I don't have any experience with phase converters, but if I were to do
                          it again I'd get the converter. Or, if you're in it for the long haul,
                          get the electrical service upgrade.

                          Joel

                          Dependable Letterpress
                          San Francisco

                          mableylee wrote:

                          >Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18 C&P NS). Both
                          >are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the printing company I
                          >purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with only single
                          >phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few have
                          >suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have advised replacing
                          >the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated!
                          >Much thanks, Mable
                          >

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Michael T. Metz
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                            Or, a bigger (more hp) single phase motor.
                            Folks have told me that the HP rating on
                            a single phase motor won't pull what the
                            same rating on a 3ph. What HP is your
                            motor?

                            mableylee wrote:

                            >Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and 12x18
                            C&P NS). Both
                            >are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the
                            printing company I
                            >purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another building with
                            only single
                            >phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines running? (A few
                            have
                            >suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others have
                            advised replacing
                            >the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would greatly be
                            appreciated!
                            >Much thanks, Mable
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Joel at D.L.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                              Michael T. Metz wrote:

                              >Or, a bigger (more hp) single phase motor.
                              >Folks have told me that the HP rating on
                              >a single phase motor won't pull what the
                              >same rating on a 3ph. What HP is your
                              >motor?

                              The single phase motor is 2 hp, the three phase one was 1-1/2. I had a
                              press mechanic source it for me, and assume he knew what he was doing.
                              Maybe bigger motors require other kinds of monkeying around to make them
                              fit...

                              I saved my three-phase motor, and I'm looking forward to the day I can
                              put it back on.

                              Joel
                            • mableylee
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                                Hello Michael,

                                The Heidelberg has 3hp, C&P has 2.

                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T. Metz" <mtmetz@s...>
                                wrote:

                                > Or, a bigger (more hp) single phase motor.
                                > Folks have told me that the HP rating on
                                > a single phase motor won't pull what the
                                > same rating on a 3ph. What HP is your
                                > motor?

                              • Michael T. Metz
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                                  Hi Joel,

                                  Sorry about how that turned out. I think
                                  you should talk to the guy that set you
                                  up with the 2hp motor. It doesn't sound
                                  like he did his job.

                                  Does the motor bog down when you engage
                                  the clutch? What are the other specs on
                                  the motor? RPM, etc.

                                  Mike

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 4, 2005
                                    My Heidelberg parts book talks about the different
                                    motors to use with different electricity setups.
                                    The single current setup has a caveat. Granted
                                    this book was written in the 50s, and motor technology
                                    has probably changed.

                                    For Single-phase Alternating Current:

                                    One single phase alternating current motor, 1.1kW=1.5 HP rated
                                    output, 1400 to 1500 rpm. Drip proof. Standard base motor with
                                    free shaft end. ...

                                    Then it continues, and this might be your problem.

                                    "This applies only to the repulsion motor with commutator.
                                    Induction motors are not suitable, because of their inability to
                                    start under load. The repulsion motor, on the other hand, has
                                    a high starting torque; however, it has the characteristic of
                                    racing (increasing the speed to a dangerous extent) when
                                    started without load. Therefore, it is necessary to arrange a single-
                                    phase switch which is attached to the bracket carrying the
                                    sucker bar movement in such a way that if the machine is stopped
                                    by means of the handle the curcuit is also broken."

                                    I personally couldn't tell you the difference between a repulsion
                                    and an induction motor, or know if there is a third kind out
                                    there that would work better. The point of all this: I shouldn't
                                    be giving advice on what to do. Do you hear that Mable?

                                    Mike

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 6, 2005
                                      Michael T. Metz wrote:

                                      >Does the motor bog down when you engage
                                      >the clutch? What are the other specs on
                                      >the motor? RPM, etc.

                                      It's 1750 RPM, as I recall. The other specs meet or exceed the
                                      Heidelberg requirements as posted earlier. The motor doesn't bog down
                                      or cause other problems- it's only when running a heavy forme on a long
                                      run at high speed that it pops the breaker. And even then, it's like
                                      every 8 or 9 hundred it shuts off, unless I crank the speed down. Which
                                      I do- I like it to keep running and anyway someone told me it's bad to
                                      keep popping a breaker.

                                      It's all on the level of minor annoyance, but as a believer in Doing It
                                      Right I aspire to restoring the three-phase power. Now I feel like a
                                      bit of a whiner; but in the great internet tradition of maximum
                                      information, there is my experience with single phase.

                                      Heidelberg may have accomodated the need to use single-phase power, but
                                      I'm sure the machines were engineered with three-phase in mind. It's
                                      standand, for industrial applications.

                                      Joel
                                    • chuck sumner
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 6, 2005
                                        I recall a thread on the letpress list that may be useful and
                                        inexpensive

                                        https://listserv.unb.ca/cgi-bin/wa?
                                        A2=ind0407&L=LETPRESS&P=R33002&D=0&H=0&I=-3&O=T&T=0

                                        or: http://tinyurl.com/7jqmv

                                        Good luck

                                        On Nov 3, 2005, at 8:36 AM, mableylee wrote:

                                        > Hi, I've recently acquired two presses (12x18 Heidelberg platen and
                                        > 12x18 C&P NS). Both
                                        > are three phase powered and were hardwired into the building of the
                                        > printing company I
                                        > purchased them from . They will soon be moved into another
                                        > building with only single
                                        > phase power. Any suggestions on how to get these machines
                                        > running? (A few have
                                        > suggested investing in a costly Temco 3 phase converter, others
                                        > have advised replacing
                                        > the motors to single phase.) Any suggestions or advice would
                                        > greatly be appreciated!
                                        > Much thanks, Mable

                                        > ~-->
                                        > home page
                                        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

                                      • Fritz Klinke
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 7, 2005
                                          If you are referring to the breaker on the motor control switch that is on
                                          the press, then the same thing happened with our press using a rotary
                                          converter. We consulted with our local electrician who is a master licensed
                                          guy, and he suggested that we needed a new motor control switch or to change
                                          the heater links in the control that trip the breaker. We never tripped the
                                          main breaker in the electric panel that this press runs off. So, we just
                                          eliminated the breaker in the motor starter switch and it has run well since
                                          on many thousands of impressions. We couldn't figure if it had something to
                                          do with the use of the converter, or something else. I don't think it is a
                                          safety issue with the motor overheating because I am always present when the
                                          press is running and the motor never seems to get that hot. I cleaned out
                                          years of accumulated dust, lint, and crud inside the motor that was blocking
                                          air flow, and it just hums along.

                                          Fritz

                                          > It's 1750 RPM, as I recall. The other specs meet or exceed the
                                          > Heidelberg requirements as posted earlier. The motor doesn't bog down
                                          > or cause other problems- it's only when running a heavy forme on a long
                                          > run at high speed that it pops the breaker. And even then, it's like
                                          > every 8 or 9 hundred it shuts off, unless I crank the speed down. Which
                                          > I do- I like it to keep running and anyway someone told me it's bad to
                                          > keep popping a breaker.
                                          >
                                          > It's all on the level of minor annoyance, but as a believer in Doing It
                                          > Right I aspire to restoring the three-phase power. Now I feel like a
                                          > bit of a whiner; but in the great internet tradition of maximum
                                          > information, there is my experience with single phase.
                                          >
                                          > Heidelberg may have accomodated the need to use single-phase power, but
                                          > I'm sure the machines were engineered with three-phase in mind. It's
                                          > standand, for industrial applications.
                                          >
                                          > Joel

                                        • Michael T. Metz
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 7, 2005
                                            Bingo Fritz. I think you scored on that one.
                                            That's a $25 fix.

                                            > It's 1750 RPM, as I recall. The other specs meet or exceed the
                                            > Heidelberg requirements as posted earlier. The motor doesn't bog down
                                            > or cause other problems- it's only when running a heavy forme on a long
                                            > run at high speed that it pops the breaker. And even then, it's like
                                            > every 8 or 9 hundred it shuts off, unless I crank the speed down. Which
                                            > I do- I like it to keep running and anyway someone told me it's bad to
                                            > keep popping a breaker.
                                            >
                                            > It's all on the level of minor annoyance, but as a believer in Doing It
                                            > Right I aspire to restoring the three-phase power. Now I feel like a
                                            > bit of a whiner; but in the great internet tradition of maximum
                                            > information, there is my experience with single phase.
                                            >
                                            > Heidelberg may have accomodated the need to use single-phase power, but
                                            > I'm sure the machines were engineered with three-phase in mind. It's
                                            > standand, for industrial applications.
                                            >
                                            > Joel

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                                          • Joel at D.L.
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 7, 2005
                                              Hi Fritz-
                                              I never considered the breaker being the problem- maybe you're right. I
                                              am indeed referring to the breaker on the motor control switch. It came
                                              with the press and is not new. I've never tripped the main breaker in
                                              the electrical panel either. Thanks!

                                              Joel