Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress Printers of the World Website

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
      A lot of very interesting people on this site. I enjoyed reading all the
      bios. I hope more of us register on it. I'll get around to it someday.

      --Scott Rubel

      Warren Gailbreath, Jr. wrote:

      >My, what interesting reading. Not that I should have
      >doubted, but there are quite a few well educated
      >members on this list.
      >
      >I really enjoyed reading the biographies on the
      >www.letterpressprinters.org website created by Lance.
      >
      >Congratulations Lance on the delivery of some very
      >good information showing the various backgrounds of
      >our fellow letterpress printers and thank you to those
      >of you that shared your backgrounds.
      >
      >Gratefully
      >

      >Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
      >Southwest Finishing, Inc.

    • Jessica Spring
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
        Is there a name for whole words (sort of ligatures, I guess) like "and" and
        "the" set as one piece of metal or wood? I'm looking for a digital font that
        features such things, and barring that, would like to know what to properly
        call them.

        Thanks,
        Jessica

        Jessica Spring
        SPRINGTIDE PRESS
        http://www.springtidepress.com
        253.627.8629

      • Dan Franklin
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
          Jessica Spring asks:

          >Is there a name for whole words (sort of ligatures, I guess) like "and" and
          >"the" set as one piece of metal or wood? I'm looking for a digital font that
          >features such things, and barring that, would like to know what to properly
          >call them.

          These are often called 'logotypes.' Some digital typefaces have them,
          such as Waters Titling. Adobe Woodtype Ornaments Two has a couple,
          and I have seen fonts that have nothing but these short, common words
          in a variety of styles, but unfortunately I don't remember the names
          of these fonts.
        • Ludwig M. Solzen
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
            Jessica

            Alas, that name is "logotype", literally, a word (<Greek: logos) being
            printed/written (or typed) at once. The almost exclusively commercial use of
            the concept will not be much of a help to you: you'll be flooded by free
            logo-designs when googling on "logotype".

            Ligatures are tied characters (glyphs, in fact), whereas logotypes are
            glyphs that are not tied in the design though put on the same foot (as e.g.
            'Wo').

            Ludwig

          • Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
              Logotypes.

              > Is there a name for whole words (sort of ligatures, I guess) like "and"
              and
              > "the" set as one piece of metal or wood? I'm looking for a digital font
              that
              > features such things, and barring that, would like to know what to
              properly
              > call them.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Jessica
            • Jessica Spring
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                Thanks Dan et al--
                as usual a fount (?) of information!
                --Jessica

                > From: Dan Franklin <dan@...>
                > Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:25:55 -0500
                > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] conjunctions and articles
                >
                > Jessica Spring asks:
                >
                >> Is there a name for whole words (sort of ligatures, I guess) like "and" and
                >> "the" set as one piece of metal or wood? I'm looking for a digital font that
                >> features such things, and barring that, would like to know what to properly
                >> call them.
                >
                > These are often called 'logotypes.' Some digital typefaces have them,
                > such as Waters Titling. Adobe Woodtype Ornaments Two has a couple,
                > and I have seen fonts that have nothing but these short, common words
                > in a variety of styles, but unfortunately I don't remember the names
                > of these fonts.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Lance Williams
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                  Warren,

                  Thanks for the kind words, but when can we expect to receive your bio
                  information for the site <grin>

                  - Lance

                • Lance Williams
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                    Ok, Carole... How about your entry too! (making the assumption you are
                    also a letterpress printer (hobbyist or otherwise...)

                    - Lance

                  • Lance Williams
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                      Hey Scott,

                      Don't put it off to "someday"... I got three more submissions today that I
                      will add as time permits.... Waiting for yours as well <grin>

                      - Lance

                    • Lance Williams
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                        Michael,

                        Currently, I am limiting the "directory" to active letterpress printers.
                        In the future I may add a "historical" section for those of us who are no
                        longer actively printing. I will even include currently those who are not
                        actively printing personally if they are working in the area of educating
                        others in the "art" of letterpress printing....

                        - Lance

                      • Carole Aldrich
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                          Hobbyist. Will try to put something together. I am packing for a trip
                          right now and am up to my eyeballs.

                          Carole Aldrich
                          carolealdrich@...
                          909-625-7722
                          909-625-9822 fax
                          909-374-2981 cell

                        • Lance Williams
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                            Hey Carole,

                            Just busting chops a little... I'll accept anything from any active
                            letterpress printer, hobbyist or otherwise whenever anyone gets the time to
                            send it to me.... Enjoy your travels, I know how hectic it gets just
                            before leaving....

                            - Lance

                          • john cate
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 27, 2005
                              The Cuts & Caps section on briarpress.org has some
                              .eps logotypes you can download for digital use.

                              John Cate
                              Sr. Art Director
                              www.fb-i.com

                              http://mail.yahoo.com