Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress Printers of the World Website

  • Warren Gailbreath, Jr.
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
      My, what interesting reading. Not that I should have
      doubted, but there are quite a few well educated
      members on this list.

      I really enjoyed reading the biographies on the
      www.letterpressprinters.org website created by Lance.

      Congratulations Lance on the delivery of some very
      good information showing the various backgrounds of
      our fellow letterpress printers and thank you to those
      of you that shared your backgrounds.

      Gratefully

      Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
      Southwest Finishing, Inc.
      Ft.Worth, Texas
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
        A lot of very interesting people on this site. I enjoyed reading all the
        bios. I hope more of us register on it. I'll get around to it someday.

        --Scott Rubel

        Warren Gailbreath, Jr. wrote:

        >My, what interesting reading. Not that I should have
        >doubted, but there are quite a few well educated
        >members on this list.
        >
        >I really enjoyed reading the biographies on the
        >www.letterpressprinters.org website created by Lance.
        >
        >Congratulations Lance on the delivery of some very
        >good information showing the various backgrounds of
        >our fellow letterpress printers and thank you to those
        >of you that shared your backgrounds.
        >
        >Gratefully
        >

        >Warren Gailbreath,Jr.
        >Southwest Finishing, Inc.

      • Jessica Spring
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
          Is there a name for whole words (sort of ligatures, I guess) like "and" and
          "the" set as one piece of metal or wood? I'm looking for a digital font that
          features such things, and barring that, would like to know what to properly
          call them.

          Thanks,
          Jessica

          Jessica Spring
          SPRINGTIDE PRESS
          http://www.springtidepress.com
          253.627.8629

        • Dan Franklin
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
            Jessica Spring asks:

            >Is there a name for whole words (sort of ligatures, I guess) like "and" and
            >"the" set as one piece of metal or wood? I'm looking for a digital font that
            >features such things, and barring that, would like to know what to properly
            >call them.

            These are often called 'logotypes.' Some digital typefaces have them,
            such as Waters Titling. Adobe Woodtype Ornaments Two has a couple,
            and I have seen fonts that have nothing but these short, common words
            in a variety of styles, but unfortunately I don't remember the names
            of these fonts.
          • Ludwig M. Solzen
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
              Jessica

              Alas, that name is "logotype", literally, a word (<Greek: logos) being
              printed/written (or typed) at once. The almost exclusively commercial use of
              the concept will not be much of a help to you: you'll be flooded by free
              logo-designs when googling on "logotype".

              Ligatures are tied characters (glyphs, in fact), whereas logotypes are
              glyphs that are not tied in the design though put on the same foot (as e.g.
              'Wo').

              Ludwig

            • Ph.D.
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                Logotypes.

                > Is there a name for whole words (sort of ligatures, I guess) like "and"
                and
                > "the" set as one piece of metal or wood? I'm looking for a digital font
                that
                > features such things, and barring that, would like to know what to
                properly
                > call them.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Jessica
              • Jessica Spring
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                  Thanks Dan et al--
                  as usual a fount (?) of information!
                  --Jessica

                  > From: Dan Franklin <dan@...>
                  > Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:25:55 -0500
                  > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] conjunctions and articles
                  >
                  > Jessica Spring asks:
                  >
                  >> Is there a name for whole words (sort of ligatures, I guess) like "and" and
                  >> "the" set as one piece of metal or wood? I'm looking for a digital font that
                  >> features such things, and barring that, would like to know what to properly
                  >> call them.
                  >
                  > These are often called 'logotypes.' Some digital typefaces have them,
                  > such as Waters Titling. Adobe Woodtype Ornaments Two has a couple,
                  > and I have seen fonts that have nothing but these short, common words
                  > in a variety of styles, but unfortunately I don't remember the names
                  > of these fonts.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Lance Williams
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                    Warren,

                    Thanks for the kind words, but when can we expect to receive your bio
                    information for the site <grin>

                    - Lance

                  • Lance Williams
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                      Ok, Carole... How about your entry too! (making the assumption you are
                      also a letterpress printer (hobbyist or otherwise...)

                      - Lance

                    • Lance Williams
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                        Hey Scott,

                        Don't put it off to "someday"... I got three more submissions today that I
                        will add as time permits.... Waiting for yours as well <grin>

                        - Lance

                      • Lance Williams
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                          Michael,

                          Currently, I am limiting the "directory" to active letterpress printers.
                          In the future I may add a "historical" section for those of us who are no
                          longer actively printing. I will even include currently those who are not
                          actively printing personally if they are working in the area of educating
                          others in the "art" of letterpress printing....

                          - Lance

                        • Carole Aldrich
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                            Hobbyist. Will try to put something together. I am packing for a trip
                            right now and am up to my eyeballs.

                            Carole Aldrich
                            carolealdrich@...
                            909-625-7722
                            909-625-9822 fax
                            909-374-2981 cell

                          • Lance Williams
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 26, 2005
                              Hey Carole,

                              Just busting chops a little... I'll accept anything from any active
                              letterpress printer, hobbyist or otherwise whenever anyone gets the time to
                              send it to me.... Enjoy your travels, I know how hectic it gets just
                              before leaving....

                              - Lance

                            • john cate
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 27, 2005
                                The Cuts & Caps section on briarpress.org has some
                                .eps logotypes you can download for digital use.

                                John Cate
                                Sr. Art Director
                                www.fb-i.com

                                http://mail.yahoo.com