terminology/press name

  • Dave Wofford
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2005
      > Is Dave Wofford from Horse and Buggy Press in Raleigh on the list?
      > I suppose
      > his shop truly is a carriage trade.

      Good one. (As usual I'm a day late and a dollar short, even here on
      the listserv--guess that means the press name is apropos)

      > I think these terms helpfully denote our marginality�and
      > marginality is not
      > necessarily derogative. I�ve used the terms boutique, craft, and art
      > printers to explain letterpress printing to outsiders.

      Our other press name idea bantied about was Hodgepodge Printing.

      Like other letterpress shops starting out on big dreams, long odds,
      and a shoe string budget,
      we were basically going at it with what equipment and type we could
      scrounge or buy up within a day's drive, most of which were dusty
      discards from the commercial printing world of decades past. I'm
      curious if anyone has ever run across a printing outfit with the name
      Hodgepodge?

      Never have come up with an apt description for the type of studio/
      shop we are.
      Merely deciding on studio vs. shop was enough to abandon the
      thinking :-)

      Dave

      Dave Wofford
      H O R S E & B U G G Y P R E S S
      Letterpress printing and more--for the jet age and beyond.
      2016 Englewood Avenue
      Durham, North Carolina 27705
      919 949 4847
      http://www.horseandbuggypress.com