solvent choice

  • thistleberrypress
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2005
      Does anyone have any advice on what solvent to use to clean press
      rollers? I print on a Vandercook 4 and my instructor cleans her press
      rollers with regular cooking oil but I'm not at all sure about this.
      And, where can these products be purchased?
      Thanks for any response, Bethany
    • G. Shattenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2005
        Be sure about it. I used olive oil, which much to my amazement was in the
        cupboard. Thinking that there is an outside chance I may eat a salad, the
        extra virgin was set aside and el-cheapo vegetable oil from the corner store
        was tried. It worked better. Many mediums for inks are vegetable oil based
        (linseed oil), so it makes sense that they would dissolve in more oil. There
        are a number of bonuses from this. One is that the vegetable oils are fume
        free. Two is that they make your skin soft. Three is that the clean up rags
        are not a fire hazard. After wiping the ink/oil mixture off the press, a rag
        with a little mineral spirits cleans off the final film. And the press is
        ready for the next color. Because I am a guy and never get anything that
        clean, before printing yellow, the press is inked with white and cleaned. I
        use rubber and composition rollers. Not knowing if your Vandercook has
        specific risks with this type usage, there are some pros on this list who
        will advise you.
        Regards,
        Greg Shattenberg

        > Does anyone have any advice on what solvent to use to clean press
        > rollers? I print on a Vandercook 4 and my instructor cleans her press
        > rollers with regular cooking oil but I'm not at all sure about this.
        > And, where can these products be purchased?
        > Thanks for any response, Bethany

      • Marnie Powers-Torrey
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2005
          We have used Gan's Nature Wash for five years now, on type and rollers.
          It is a heavy solvent, and can leave an oily residue, but we just wipe
          the surfaces down with a dry rag thoroughly before inking up again. It's
          expensive, but close to non-toxic, only slightly flammable, and scent
          free! I swear by it!