Re: what kind of base to use on a platen 10x15 windmill MY 2 CENTS

  • michaelmagnesi
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2005
      Hello Ian,

      I just purchased two windmills and plan to contact Metal Magic in
      Arizona to purchase plates.

      These will be either 16 guage or 1/4 inch copper plates that they will
      mount to aluminum to bring to type high.

      I think that I will do 1/4 first since I have access to several 1/4
      plates that were used for foil stamping work.

      The plates will be more expensive than photopolymer but they should
      last much longer and be able to do deeper impressions when needed.
      There is also the recycling value when the plates are no longer needed.

      Once I have a good assortment of aluminum blocks I will probably
      remove the copper plates from them and then just order the copper
      plates without the aluminum. This should save on cost.

      I spoke at length with Metal Magic and was advised that they will not
      do halftone plates as they have not had the best of success. I will
      though experiment with different screen methods as I have had some
      success using the line screen filter in Photoshop to prep an image for
      foil stamping. It will be a look that the designer will need to
      appreciate and it won't fit all purposes but then again neither does
      the look of letterpress.

      Metal magic has offered incredible customer service in regards to
      stamping and embossing dies and I hope to find the same in regards to
      the letterpress dies.

      Please keep in touch as we will be traveling similar paths soon!

      Michael
      Design Answers
      Atlanta, GA.