Re: pre owned polymer platemaker machine

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2005
      Blanca

      Pre-owned photopolymer platemaking machines show up on eBay with some
      regularity and often in printers' classified monthlys. There are quite
      a few Anderson & Vreeland machines around as they are proudly made in
      the USA with most parts available from Grainger, etc. An important
      consideration. And A&V provides maintenance service.

      A&V recently upgraded to a new model series so a lot of the old
      Orbitals are being traded in and reconditioned by the firm. There are
      usually a couple reconditioned machines available direct at any given
      time.

      The average reconditioned price seems to be about $3,500 for an A-2 size.

      On the other hand, if you are just starting out, I would seriously
      recommend that you buy your plates from a processor rather than invest
      all that money in a machine. It might take you a bit of time to recoup
      your investment as you still have to buy raw photopolymer stock, which
      costs roughly near a third of what a processed plate might cost you,
      and you do have to buy them in bulk to get decent cost advantage.

      Gerald