Re: depends on what size C&P and what model

  • michael babcock | interrobang
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
      the first question to answer is what size C&P it is and is it a "new series"
      or "old style". if it's an 8 x 12 and you have any mechanical wherewithal
      (which you better if you wanna be in letterpress) you could likely rig it
      yourself. I have. rope, a come-along, 6 iron pipes, a drift, hand sledge and
      slot head screw driver will disassemble and move a small C&P. and a few
      friends.

      that said, an 8 x 12 is a bit small to be truly utilitarian. a 10 x 15 would
      be ideal and it is likely that or an 12 x 18 if it has a feeder. scrap the
      powder. a 10 x 15 is a good middling press that will do most of the work
      you'll want to feed to a platen. if you're a problem solver you will be able
      to feed much larger work than the platen size. a 12 x 18 starts to take a up
      a lot of space for the size work you're likely to run. a 14 x 22 was also
      made but those are far less common now days.

      second question is, is a 'craftsman' series C&P. if it is take it NOW. that
      series of presses were the most solidly built, most fully featured and you
      will absolutely be able to produce the finest grade of work assuming you are
      a craftsman yourself.

      generally speaking, there are no new parts available. you ought not to need
      any except for the feeder as they were all simple machines, though the
      craftsman do have a greater degree of complexity. rollers and truck are a
      must and these ARE still available. go with buna-N rubber rollers and search
      out steel trucks.

      price should be nominal unless the press is cherry and waiting on a loading
      dock.

      windmills are over-rated imo.

      ksb's are not.

      --
      best, m | interrobangletterpress.com

      > Hello All,
      >
      > I have found a Chandler & Price letterpress in a basement that needs a
      > new home. All I can tell you at this point is that it has an automatic
      > feeder and a powder delivery system. I am going back to take a closer
      > look at it on Friday and was wondering if anyone out there can give me
      > some tips on what to look for before comitting to buying the press.
      > The press will need to be partially disassembled before it can be moved.
      >
      > Are parts still available? Are these presses capable of high quality
      > work with a good operator? What is a good price range to offer the owner?
      >
      > I intend to use it for light commercial work.
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Michael
    • Michael Magnesi
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
        Hello Michael,

        I did not get over to the house today but will on
        Monday.

        I will post photos next week of the entire basement
        for posterities sake.

        It is at least a new style C&P and it seemed larger
        than the other press in the basement. I will know more
        on Monday. Sorry to be such a nube and not having all
        of the info.

        Thank you!

        Michael

        http://mail.yahoo.com