Re: [PPLetterpress] Chandler & Price to buy or not to buy? Advice NEEDED

  • David S. Rose
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
      Michael,
      There are a lot of questions that have to be asked first, starting with
      "what is your experience level, if any, with letterpress printing?" C&P's
      are nice presses, but rigging, moving, reassembling and learning how to work
      this one may be more of a challenge than you expect. The market for larger
      platen presses in general is highly dependent on supply and demand, and
      there really isn't much demand for an automatic feed C&P these days (hobby
      printers wouldn't use the Rice feeder, and production shops would probably
      go for a Heidelberg windmill or a motorized cylinder press). So if you add
      in the rigging costs for this particular press (which, depending on your
      location, and assuming that you'll have to hire professional riggers, could
      easily run $3,000 - $4,000), my guess is that a good price would be $0.
      Frankly, if you don't buy it, I doubt that anyone else will, and that means
      the owner will have to have it scrapped, possibly even paying someone to
      take it away.

      Let me suggest that you take a look at the Introduction to Letterpress
      Printing, for some background information on various press types and values.
      You can find the latest version at: www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm.

      Good luck!

      -David S. Rose
      Five Roses Press
      New York, NY

      > From: michaelmagnesi <michaelmagnesi@...>
      > Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:51:55 -0000
      > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Chandler & Price to buy or not to buy? Advice NEEDED
      >
      > Hello All,
      >
      > I have found a Chandler & Price letterpress in a basement that needs a
      > new home. All I can tell you at this point is that it has an automatic
      > feeder and a powder delivery system. I am going back to take a closer
      > look at it on Friday and was wondering if anyone out there can give me
      > some tips on what to look for before comitting to buying the press.
      > The press will need to be partially disassembled before it can be moved.
      >
      > Are parts still available? Are these presses capable of high quality
      > work with a good operator? What is a good price range to offer the owner?
      >
      > I intend to use it for light commercial work.
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Michael
    • Michael Magnesi
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2005
        Thank you David for the info.

        I have found that everything is more challenging than
        I first imagine. There may be a masochistic streak in
        my program!

        I am sure that I cannot get the press for free and I
        would hate to see it scrapped. I will post some photos
        of it next week for everyone's opinion. If nothing
        else you all may enjoy seeing the time capsule in this
        basement.

        Michael

        http://mail.yahoo.com