Re: [PPLetterpress] vector images

  • Cathey
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
      Forget Dover. We recently printed a book and CD for a former signmaker/font guy that is revolutionary! In it he has thousands of vectorized images and layouts that are gorgeous...the "clipart" is 100% vectorized. As a designer it has absolutely simplified my life...saved me time...allowed me to create without being burdened by hours of tracing and tweeking. Contact me if you want further info

      Kevin Cox <kevin@...> wrote:Bethany,

      The images available on briarpress are vector format as opposed to
      raster format like those on the Dover CD's. The best way to convert
      raster to vector is to place/import the raster graphic into your
      illustration program and retrace it using the pen tool. This will
      give you a vector version to work with. Or you can open the raster
      graphic in Photoshop and convert it by selecting the area(s),
      converting the selection into paths, then exporting the paths and
      opening them in your ill. software. It's not the best way though
      because it introduces a lot of unnecessary points in the path(s).

      One place I've found for cheap vector art (and photos too) is
      www.istockphoto.com, an illustration runs about $3.00 or so. If you
      want vector art you will need an .eps file that is in vector format.
      An .eps can be either vector or raster and a .tiff is only a raster
      file. The above site does a good job of labeling the file type.

      Hope that helps, Kevin.

      On Oct 4, 2005, at 8:06 PM, thistleberrypress wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > This is not so much a printing question as it is a computer
      > question. I purchased some of the Dover Publications Cd-rom books to
      > use for images but I can't figure out a way to "ungroup" them. I use
      > Macromedia FreeHand MX on a pc computer and unfortunately I'm not as
      > proficient with this program as I would like to be. What I'm trying to
      > do is use part of an image instead of the whole thing, and I'm
      > wondering if that's even possible. The images that are available for
      > download on the Briar Press website for example, are able to be
      > ungrouped and split apart. Any help or suggestions would be greatly
      > appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of any online sites that provide
      > high quality images (TIFF or EPS) for download please feel free to
      > share that info., I really need some more sources for images.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Bethany

      > Book cover design Design book Graphic design book
      > Book printing
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "PPLetterpress" on the web.

      Kevin Cox
      Jazyrain Design & Letterpress
      Vancouver, Washington

      www.jazyrain.com

      ---------------------------------

      Cathey

      The Printing Shop
      125 East A Street Downtown Dixon, CA 95620
      707-678-1000 or 707-678-2383
      catheylars@...
      cathey@...
      Sending large files???? go to www.dropload.com and enter one of our email addresses!

      ADOBE authorized print service provider
      Microsoft PUBLISHER authorized print service provider

    • Scott Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
        Bethany,
        I use FreeHand MX on a Mac. I push down our Option key (maybe Alt on
        Windows?) and then click on a shape within the grouping which you can now
        select individually. By holding down the Shift key in addition, you can
        select multiple paths at one time. Copy and paste to a new document, or
        Option drag them off to the side and it will copy what you have selected as
        you drag.

        The groupings you're talking about may be Grouped. Select the whole grouping
        then go under the "Modify" menu at the top of the program and select
        Ungroup) or they may be Joined (go to the same "Modify" menu item and select
        Split). Finally if the designs were originally created in Illustrator and
        saved as EPS files and you opened them in FreeHand, they may have a bounding
        box that the elements are pasted into. Select your grouping and go under
        "Edit" menu at the top and select Cut Contents. That will release them from
        the bounding box (delete the bounding box). After cutting from the bounding
        box, the elements may still be grouped or joined so if you still can't
        select them individually, try to Ungroup or Split at this stage.

        One final note, if the Split command works you may notice white areas that
        were sitting on top of larger black areas have disappeared. For example, the
        counter inside of an "O" fills in black. You can fix this by selecting the
        outer circle and inner circle, go under the "Edit" menu and select Join.
        Voila! The white shape has returned.

        One last tip, down in the lower left corner of the FreeHand window you'll
        see several settings with down-turned triangles. One will probably say
        "Preview". Click on it and change it to "Keyline" and you'll be able to see
        the individual vectors as outlines. This makes it easier to select paths
        sometimes.

        If all else fails, Export the file out of FreeHand as a TIF and use a very
        high resolution (big file). When the dialog appears to name the file, select
        TIF as your file format, then click Setup to bump up your resolution to say,
        2400dpi. Then you can open it in PhotoShop and erase the unwanted areas.

        ----> Scott

        On 10/4/05 10:06 PM, "thistleberrypress" wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > This is not so much a printing question as it is a computer
        > question. I purchased some of the Dover Publications Cd-rom books to
        > use for images but I can't figure out a way to "ungroup" them. I use
        > Macromedia FreeHand MX on a pc computer and unfortunately I'm not as
        > proficient with this program as I would like to be. What I'm trying to
        > do is use part of an image instead of the whole thing, and I'm
        > wondering if that's even possible. The images that are available for
        > download on the Briar Press website for example, are able to be
        > ungrouped and split apart. Any help or suggestions would be greatly
        > appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of any online sites that provide
        > high quality images (TIFF or EPS) for download please feel free to
        > share that info., I really need some more sources for images.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Bethany
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
          If the images will not ungroup (command U mac - command ^G PC), then
          these are probably not vector images.

          The best way to accomplish what you want may be to use the Export
          command and turn send them over to Photoshop as a TIFF, where you can
          then use the eraser to edit the picture.

          When you Export, be sure to look in the options window where you will
          be able to control the resolution of the image you are exporting, as
          it may default at 72 dpi, but if you're editing wood engravings you
          will want to go as high as the software and your memory allows, like
          1200 or 2400.

          --Scott