RE: [PPLetterpress] transparent/clear van son ink

  • Marnie Powers-Torrey
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
      or some companies call it tint base, but it's only really shiny on
      coated stock, like Tom said.

      Marnie Powers-Torrey
      Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
      Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
      J. Willard Marriott Library
      295 South 1500 East
      Salt Lake City, UT 84112

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
        I have used Van Son High Gloss Overprint Varnish
        I can't tell if it's rubber base or something else, but it does stay
        open a long time.

        It adds a modicum of gloss, but not as much as I'd hoped for.
        Maybe several coats?

        ?

        On Oct 4, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Marnie Powers-Torrey wrote:

        > or some companies call it tint base, but it's only really shiny on
        > coated stock, like Tom said.
        >
        > Marnie Powers-Torrey
        > Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
        > Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
        > J. Willard Marriott Library
        > 295 South 1500 East
        > Salt Lake City, UT 84112
        >

        > _____

      • Kathleen Whalen
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
          On 4/10/05 23:07, "chuck sumner" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > I have used Van Son High Gloss Overprint Varnish
          > I can't tell if it's rubber base or something else, but it does stay
          > open a long time.
          >
          > It adds a modicum of gloss, but not as much as I'd hoped for.
          > Maybe several coats?

          Two runs - let it dry between them. You are sealing the paper, so the ink
          printed on top should come up glossy, and of course takes longer to dry as
          it can only dry in the air - no absorption. Interleaving with newsprint is a
          good idea, and piles of less than fifty sheets - don't press them flat under
          any circumstances.

          Graham Moss
          Incline Press
          36 Bow Street