Re: [PPLetterpress] transparent/clear van son ink

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      In a message dated 10/3/2005, buyebay@... writes:

      Does anyone know which van son (I believe it's rubber base) ink that
      gives clear and transparent look (kind of semi glossy feel)? I used it
      before, but can't remember. I think it was called varnish, but I
      checked at the website and found out that it is oil based, therefore
      I'm not sure if it's correct (since I mixed it with rubber based ink in
      the past). Anyone has suggestion on how to make transparent/clear and
      glossy look to the printed types?

      Transparent white is clear -- just the carrier without pigment (unlike
      Opaque white) -- but it sounds to me that you are thinking of varnish if you want
      it to have a gloss finish. Rubber based inks can be used to tint oil based
      varnish without problems.

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications
      157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
      (303) 777-8951
      http://members.aol.com/typetom

    • Marnie Powers-Torrey
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
        or some companies call it tint base, but it's only really shiny on
        coated stock, like Tom said.

        Marnie Powers-Torrey
        Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
        Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
        J. Willard Marriott Library
        295 South 1500 East
        Salt Lake City, UT 84112

        _____

        Does anyone know which van son (I believe it's rubber base) ink that
        gives clear and transparent look (kind of semi glossy feel)? I used it
        before, but can't remember. I think it was called varnish, but I
        checked at the website and found out that it is oil based, therefore
        I'm not sure if it's correct (since I mixed it with rubber based ink in
        the past). Anyone has suggestion on how to make transparent/clear and
        glossy look to the printed types? Thank you.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "PPLetterpress
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress> " on the web.

        _____

      • chuck sumner
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
          I have used Van Son High Gloss Overprint Varnish
          I can't tell if it's rubber base or something else, but it does stay
          open a long time.

          It adds a modicum of gloss, but not as much as I'd hoped for.
          Maybe several coats?

          ?

          On Oct 4, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Marnie Powers-Torrey wrote:

          > or some companies call it tint base, but it's only really shiny on
          > coated stock, like Tom said.
          >
          > Marnie Powers-Torrey
          > Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
          > Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
          > J. Willard Marriott Library
          > 295 South 1500 East
          > Salt Lake City, UT 84112
          >

          > _____

        • Kathleen Whalen
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
            On 4/10/05 23:07, "chuck sumner" <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > I have used Van Son High Gloss Overprint Varnish
            > I can't tell if it's rubber base or something else, but it does stay
            > open a long time.
            >
            > It adds a modicum of gloss, but not as much as I'd hoped for.
            > Maybe several coats?

            Two runs - let it dry between them. You are sealing the paper, so the ink
            printed on top should come up glossy, and of course takes longer to dry as
            it can only dry in the air - no absorption. Interleaving with newsprint is a
            good idea, and piles of less than fifty sheets - don't press them flat under
            any circumstances.

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street