RE: [PPLetterpress] transparent/clear van son ink

  • Michael T. Metz
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      Transparent white?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of j_atmodjojo
      Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 4:12 PM
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] transparent/clear van son ink

      Hello,

      Does anyone know which van son (I believe it's rubber base) ink that
      gives clear and transparent look (kind of semi glossy feel)? I used it
      before, but can't remember. I think it was called varnish, but I
      checked at the website and found out that it is oil based, therefore
      I'm not sure if it's correct (since I mixed it with rubber based ink in
      the past). Anyone has suggestion on how to make transparent/clear and
      glossy look to the printed types? Thank you.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
        In a message dated 10/3/2005, buyebay@... writes:

        Does anyone know which van son (I believe it's rubber base) ink that
        gives clear and transparent look (kind of semi glossy feel)? I used it
        before, but can't remember. I think it was called varnish, but I
        checked at the website and found out that it is oil based, therefore
        I'm not sure if it's correct (since I mixed it with rubber based ink in
        the past). Anyone has suggestion on how to make transparent/clear and
        glossy look to the printed types?

        Transparent white is clear -- just the carrier without pigment (unlike
        Opaque white) -- but it sounds to me that you are thinking of varnish if you want
        it to have a gloss finish. Rubber based inks can be used to tint oil based
        varnish without problems.

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom

      • Marnie Powers-Torrey
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
          or some companies call it tint base, but it's only really shiny on
          coated stock, like Tom said.

          Marnie Powers-Torrey
          Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
          Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
          J. Willard Marriott Library
          295 South 1500 East
          Salt Lake City, UT 84112

          _____

          Does anyone know which van son (I believe it's rubber base) ink that
          gives clear and transparent look (kind of semi glossy feel)? I used it
          before, but can't remember. I think it was called varnish, but I
          checked at the website and found out that it is oil based, therefore
          I'm not sure if it's correct (since I mixed it with rubber based ink in
          the past). Anyone has suggestion on how to make transparent/clear and
          glossy look to the printed types? Thank you.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "PPLetterpress
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress> " on the web.

          _____

        • chuck sumner
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
            I have used Van Son High Gloss Overprint Varnish
            I can't tell if it's rubber base or something else, but it does stay
            open a long time.

            It adds a modicum of gloss, but not as much as I'd hoped for.
            Maybe several coats?

            ?

            On Oct 4, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Marnie Powers-Torrey wrote:

            > or some companies call it tint base, but it's only really shiny on
            > coated stock, like Tom said.
            >
            > Marnie Powers-Torrey
            > Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
            > Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
            > J. Willard Marriott Library
            > 295 South 1500 East
            > Salt Lake City, UT 84112
            >

            > _____

          • Kathleen Whalen
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
              On 4/10/05 23:07, "chuck sumner" <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > I have used Van Son High Gloss Overprint Varnish
              > I can't tell if it's rubber base or something else, but it does stay
              > open a long time.
              >
              > It adds a modicum of gloss, but not as much as I'd hoped for.
              > Maybe several coats?

              Two runs - let it dry between them. You are sealing the paper, so the ink
              printed on top should come up glossy, and of course takes longer to dry as
              it can only dry in the air - no absorption. Interleaving with newsprint is a
              good idea, and piles of less than fifty sheets - don't press them flat under
              any circumstances.

              Graham Moss
              Incline Press
              36 Bow Street