transparent/clear van son ink

  • j_atmodjojo
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hello,

      Does anyone know which van son (I believe it's rubber base) ink that
      gives clear and transparent look (kind of semi glossy feel)? I used it
      before, but can't remember. I think it was called varnish, but I
      checked at the website and found out that it is oil based, therefore
      I'm not sure if it's correct (since I mixed it with rubber based ink in
      the past). Anyone has suggestion on how to make transparent/clear and
      glossy look to the printed types? Thank you.
    • Michael T. Metz
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
        Transparent white?

        Does anyone know which van son (I believe it's rubber base) ink that
        gives clear and transparent look (kind of semi glossy feel)? I used it
        before, but can't remember. I think it was called varnish, but I
        checked at the website and found out that it is oil based, therefore
        I'm not sure if it's correct (since I mixed it with rubber based ink in
        the past). Anyone has suggestion on how to make transparent/clear and
        glossy look to the printed types? Thank you.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • typetom@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
          In a message dated 10/3/2005, buyebay@... writes:

          Does anyone know which van son (I believe it's rubber base) ink that
          gives clear and transparent look (kind of semi glossy feel)? I used it
          before, but can't remember. I think it was called varnish, but I
          checked at the website and found out that it is oil based, therefore
          I'm not sure if it's correct (since I mixed it with rubber based ink in
          the past). Anyone has suggestion on how to make transparent/clear and
          glossy look to the printed types?

          Transparent white is clear -- just the carrier without pigment (unlike
          Opaque white) -- but it sounds to me that you are thinking of varnish if you want
          it to have a gloss finish. Rubber based inks can be used to tint oil based
          varnish without problems.

          Tom Parson
          Now It's Up To You Publications
          157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
          (303) 777-8951
          http://members.aol.com/typetom

        • Marnie Powers-Torrey
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
            or some companies call it tint base, but it's only really shiny on
            coated stock, like Tom said.

            Marnie Powers-Torrey
            Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
            Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
            J. Willard Marriott Library
            295 South 1500 East
            Salt Lake City, UT 84112

            _____

            Does anyone know which van son (I believe it's rubber base) ink that
            gives clear and transparent look (kind of semi glossy feel)? I used it
            before, but can't remember. I think it was called varnish, but I
            checked at the website and found out that it is oil based, therefore
            I'm not sure if it's correct (since I mixed it with rubber based ink in
            the past). Anyone has suggestion on how to make transparent/clear and
            glossy look to the printed types? Thank you.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "PPLetterpress
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress> " on the web.

            _____

          • chuck sumner
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
              I have used Van Son High Gloss Overprint Varnish
              I can't tell if it's rubber base or something else, but it does stay
              open a long time.

              It adds a modicum of gloss, but not as much as I'd hoped for.
              Maybe several coats?

              ?

              On Oct 4, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Marnie Powers-Torrey wrote:

              > or some companies call it tint base, but it's only really shiny on
              > coated stock, like Tom said.
              >
              > Marnie Powers-Torrey
              > Studio Manager, Instructor, Printer
              > Book Arts Program and Red Butte Press
              > J. Willard Marriott Library
              > 295 South 1500 East
              > Salt Lake City, UT 84112
              >

              > _____

            • Kathleen Whalen
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
                On 4/10/05 23:07, "chuck sumner" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                > I have used Van Son High Gloss Overprint Varnish
                > I can't tell if it's rubber base or something else, but it does stay
                > open a long time.
                >
                > It adds a modicum of gloss, but not as much as I'd hoped for.
                > Maybe several coats?

                Two runs - let it dry between them. You are sealing the paper, so the ink
                printed on top should come up glossy, and of course takes longer to dry as
                it can only dry in the air - no absorption. Interleaving with newsprint is a
                good idea, and piles of less than fifty sheets - don't press them flat under
                any circumstances.

                Graham Moss
                Incline Press
                36 Bow Street