pre owned polymer platemaker machine

  • blancaprado
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hello all!
      I'm interested in starting doing letterpress and I'm looking for pre
      owned polymer platemaker machines (JET or Interflex preferred). Does
      anyone know where I can look for this kind of equipment?
      I heard from a friend that JET manufactures smaller platemaker
      machines under another name. Does anyone know the name for this company?
      All of your comments, suggestions and tips are highly appreciated!
      Blanca
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2005
        Blanca

        Pre-owned photopolymer platemaking machines show up on eBay with some
        regularity and often in printers' classified monthlys. There are quite
        a few Anderson & Vreeland machines around as they are proudly made in
        the USA with most parts available from Grainger, etc. An important
        consideration. And A&V provides maintenance service.

        A&V recently upgraded to a new model series so a lot of the old
        Orbitals are being traded in and reconditioned by the firm. There are
        usually a couple reconditioned machines available direct at any given
        time.

        The average reconditioned price seems to be about $3,500 for an A-2 size.

        On the other hand, if you are just starting out, I would seriously
        recommend that you buy your plates from a processor rather than invest
        all that money in a machine. It might take you a bit of time to recoup
        your investment as you still have to buy raw photopolymer stock, which
        costs roughly near a third of what a processed plate might cost you,
        and you do have to buy them in bulk to get decent cost advantage.

        Gerald