Stock question - Heidelberg Windmill

  • mzslb
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hi! What is the heaviest stock you've ever run on a Heidelberg
      Windmill? Does anyone know if it would feed an 80 pt. stock
      (pulpboard)?

      All info appreciated!

      sherry
    • Bill Denham
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
        New to printing myself but I have run 300lb Waterford
        with some success. Don't know it's relative thickness
        to 80 pt. I have to add the rubber suction cups and
        make the necessary thickness adjustments.

        bill

        --- mzslb <mzslb@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Hi! What is the heaviest stock you've ever run on a
        Heidelberg
        Windmill? Does anyone know if it would feed an 80 pt.
        stock
        (pulpboard)?

        All info appreciated!

        sherry

        Book
        cover design Design
        book Graphic design
        book
        Book printing

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • John G. Henry
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          The key to running heavy stock on the Heidelberg windmill is that it
          be flexible enough to bend as it leaves the sucker bar as it is held
          in the gripper bar.

          Ifr the board will not flex, it will either be pulled out of the
          grippers or will get "beat up" as it spins around the arc to the
          porinting position.

          If the sheet is fairly small, one might be able to run without
          difficulty, but if it is full width and length, you will experience
          difficulty.

          Heidelberg made a special feeder bar which allowed the suckers to
          get further out of the way in order to print on stiff materials.

          There are examples of the use of this special sucker bar in their
          publication Hints for the Pressman.

          I'd suggest giving it a try before committing to a job.

          If you have a handfed press, or a Kluge, you will have no problem
          feeding this heavy stock.

          I tried to help a fellow get a larger windmill up and running for
          printing coasters, and we ran into this difficulty. Prior to that
          experience, I guess I had never attempted such heavy material.

          John G. Henry