Vandercook 219 Friction rail What is it for?

  • michaelmagnesi
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hello All,

      I am refurbishing an old style 219 dating from 1928. Along with worn
      bushings and tons of dried ink the friction rail is broken. Does
      anyone know what this thing is for? Can I run the press without it
      until I get it replaced?

      Is there an older press out there still in service?

      Also as a quick poll, if I have a choice between a Kluge or Windmill
      which one should I go for. I think that both are 10 x 18 inches.

      Thanks,

      Michael
    • Jim Camp
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
        I've got an Old Style, and it's in really nice shape.
        I'm not sure what the "friction rail" is, exactly.

        Here's the weird thing with mine - it's got 2 ink
        drums, even though only one of them touches the
        rollers.

        --- michaelmagnesi <michaelmagnesi@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I am refurbishing an old style 219 dating from 1928.
        > Along with worn
        > bushings and tons of dried ink the friction rail is
        > broken. Does
        > anyone know what this thing is for? Can I run the
        > press without it
        > until I get it replaced?
        >
        > Is there an older press out there still in service?
        >
        > Also as a quick poll, if I have a choice between a
        > Kluge or Windmill
        > which one should I go for. I think that both are 10
        > x 18 inches.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Michael

      • michaelmagnesi
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
          Hello Jim,

          The friction rail is also called a sprint rail. It lives in between
          the bed rail and the gear rack for the form rollers.

          Could the extra ink drum be for a second color somehow? Post some
          photos if you have them!

          Michael