Blade sharpened

  • Shelly Monte
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2005
      Greetings all, I have just had my challenge blade sharpened in San Francisco
      at Quality Saw Works, 1 Loomis Street, 94124
      TEL. 415-282-3060. The blade was shipped to them on Thursday by UPS and
      returned back to me Wednesday. Well worth it, I thought, shipping and
      sharpening $33 for a 30" blade.

      I had been given this cutter with two blades separately packed. When I
      went to put the blade in, the bolts would not enter the threads. After
      hours of runs to all the local hardware stores without success, I called an
      engineer friend over to have a look. He discovered that the blade was made
      for 1/2" diameter and 12 t.p.i. bolts. All of the bolts I could find in
      town of 1/2" diameter were 13 threads per inch. I even checked the machine
      shops for machine screws. Nothing.

      We began in his shop at 7 p.m. and by 10 p.m. he had made six new bolts with
      the correct 12 t.p.i. of the correct length. By, 12 midnight we had the old
      beauty cutting like a dream. For any of you acquiring a cutter, don't throw
      away any hardware that might be included with the cutter, they may be hard
      to find, or I just haven't found the proper source for them.

      There you have the requested report of my findings with Quality Saw Works.
      Shelly Monte
      Epiphany Letterpress