Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: SP-15 inking

  • Chad Pastotnik
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005
      I'm especially glad that I've got my 219 now that I've read all these
      posts. Seriously, I adjust my roller height maybe once or twice a year
      and there isn't much variance in the bed either. I have new rubber
      rollers which help tremendously, I believe that the new rubber
      formulations are very close in durometer and ink distribution
      characteristics to the composition rollers without the associated
      problems of summer/winter sets, humidity, etc. Here in northern
      Michigan we get the full range of temperatures believe me. The rubber
      rollers are remarkably stable and give good coverage through the entire
      length of the bed as I've just recently pulled impressions from 12 x 18
      inch forms of type (handset, mostly 14 pt.) though admittedly in this
      case, dampening the sheet is pretty much a necessity for dependable
      results.

      I've never regretted giving away my old Challenge 15MP as it had the
      absolute worse roller height adjustments in the world. Never bothered
      to the check bed and bearer differences as the rollers were always the
      obvious culprit. It's been a while since I've looked at any of the SP
      models but it seems they had a similar sort of adjustment for the
      rollers.

      As you say, the longer walk makes for slower work and I do wish my 219
      had the short bed trips I've seen on the newer versions of the press, I
      kind of like the dance though. There are good and bad points to all
      makes of Vandy's I suppose but good ink coverage and impression are
      pretty important.

      Good luck to all you SP owners, hope someone comes up with a good
      solution someday.

      Chad

      Chad Pastotnik
      Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506