Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: SP-15 inking

  • jenniwon
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005
      Hello all,

      I, too, have been having some troubles with roller adjustment on my SP-15. It seems, my Vandercook is
      having trouble inking the area from the dead bar to about 3" into the bed. I've fiddled for hours and cannot
      get satisfactory results.

      I would be grateful to hire a press mechanic. Does anyone know of any in the Boston area?

      Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

      Best,
      Jenni

      +book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&c=4&s=84&.sig=vlujRao05WaRKq2kx3cG4w]
      > Book cover design [LINK:
      +book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&c=4&s=84&.sig=94wHoAb13JjVK6PFWJ8CMw]
      > Design book [LINK:
      +book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&c=4&s=84&.sig=zyM7g0lqKx3m9ugIVDaQ-Q]
      > Graphic design book
      > [LINK:
      +book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&c=4&s=84&.sig=8UWDai0CywCMGB5_Ow1oiw]
      > Book printing

      > [LINK:
      >
      > · Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the [LINK:
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/] Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >

      > --------------------
    • Chad Pastotnik
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005
        I'm especially glad that I've got my 219 now that I've read all these
        posts. Seriously, I adjust my roller height maybe once or twice a year
        and there isn't much variance in the bed either. I have new rubber
        rollers which help tremendously, I believe that the new rubber
        formulations are very close in durometer and ink distribution
        characteristics to the composition rollers without the associated
        problems of summer/winter sets, humidity, etc. Here in northern
        Michigan we get the full range of temperatures believe me. The rubber
        rollers are remarkably stable and give good coverage through the entire
        length of the bed as I've just recently pulled impressions from 12 x 18
        inch forms of type (handset, mostly 14 pt.) though admittedly in this
        case, dampening the sheet is pretty much a necessity for dependable
        results.

        I've never regretted giving away my old Challenge 15MP as it had the
        absolute worse roller height adjustments in the world. Never bothered
        to the check bed and bearer differences as the rollers were always the
        obvious culprit. It's been a while since I've looked at any of the SP
        models but it seems they had a similar sort of adjustment for the
        rollers.

        As you say, the longer walk makes for slower work and I do wish my 219
        had the short bed trips I've seen on the newer versions of the press, I
        kind of like the dance though. There are good and bad points to all
        makes of Vandy's I suppose but good ink coverage and impression are
        pretty important.

        Good luck to all you SP owners, hope someone comes up with a good
        solution someday.

        Chad

        Chad Pastotnik
        Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506