vandercook

  • ejquillwort
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 19 12:17 PM
      I have an SP-15 and have mainly been printing modest-sized pages of poetry with it
      this year. I've struggled with the roller heights not maintaining a uniformity as they
      travel down the bed. It was not hard to compensate since I was using metal type
      forms that were fairly compact...but now I'm doing a book, two-up, with polymer
      plates, and the problem is more evident ...adjusting rollers at the midpoint of a ten-
      inch page means that the beginning is not inking enough while the bottom or folio
      side, is perhaps a little heavy....in other words the ink rollers are gradually
      descending as they travel. However, the cylinder doesn't seem to be...the impression
      is not noticeably different.
      If I lift the base at the beginning, I'm increasing impression, so that's not the answer.
      Does anyone have experience with this problem?

      Much obliged...

      e j
    • Daniel Morris
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 19 1:20 PM
        Do you have the Vandercook .918 Roller Height Guage?
        If you test it at different points in the bed you can
        see if the issue is with roller adjustment or packing
        and then go from there...

        Daniel Morris
        The Arm Letterpress
        Brooklyn, NY

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 19 1:23 PM
          e j

          This is not an uncommon experience with the gravity type arrangement
          Vandercook has for its inking rollers. The rollers are rarely the same
          measure at various points along the bed (especially on the SP15). Best
          place to take the measure is at the end of the bed, remembering that
          it is only a referencial measurement anyway and likely needs
          adjustment based on your experience with the press. A stripe of 1/16
          is where you should probably start, but front and back rollers often
          have a best setting that differs one to the other. On a SP-15 the
          rollers' measure invariably has to be re-adjusted many times during an
          edition run.

          The short term solution for your specific problem is to use roller
          supports and to cock the far end of the support up a bit with underlay
          material. This won't affect your impression.

          The long term solution is to have your cylinder bearings re-adjusted.
          But that is something you would want a press mechanic to do for you.

          A number of folks (including myself) have tried to figure out a way of
          locking the rollers down but that actually won't work because the real
          problem is that, given the engineering of proof presses, the bed is
          just too long (and the cylinder movement untrue over that length) for
          effective edition printing.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ejquillwort" <minxon@s...> wrote:
          > I have an SP-15 and have mainly been printing modest-sized pages of
          poetry with it
          > this year. I've struggled with the roller heights not maintaining a
          uniformity as they
          > travel down the bed. It was not hard to compensate since I was
          using metal type
          > forms that were fairly compact...but now I'm doing a book, two-up,
          with polymer
          > plates, and the problem is more evident ...adjusting rollers at the
          midpoint of a ten-
          > inch page means that the beginning is not inking enough while the
          bottom or folio
          > side, is perhaps a little heavy....in other words the ink rollers
          are gradually
          > descending as they travel. However, the cylinder doesn't seem to
          be...the impression
          > is not noticeably different.
          > If I lift the base at the beginning, I'm increasing impression, so
          that's not the answer.
          > Does anyone have experience with this problem?
          >
          > Much obliged...
          >
          > e j
        • ejquillwort
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 20 6:34 AM
            Thanks for suggestions, Gerald....I found your article on bearing adjustment and
            spent some time with that...I corrected the tilt slightly enough to go ahead with the
            book pages. But it was good to be reminded that the SP-15 in particular just needs a
            lot of roller-height tweaking. To give you an idea, the stripe on my vandercook gauge
            goes from a sixteenth to three-sixteenths of an inch, in a foot of travel. I thought that
            the front top bearings were worn... but it seems that if that were the case and the tilt
            were say 3 degrees towards the front, then it would track down the bed at exactly
            that tilt and thus the inking wouldn't show an increased stripe. It almost seems as if
            bed and rails are not parallel. Is that possible? That must be why you suggested
            roller supports...creating rails that compensate & make the motion parallel.

            thanks again...
            e j
          • ejquillwort
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 20 8:25 PM
              Final word from SP-15 chronicles. Following the thought that the bed & rails had to
              be out of parallel, I spent some time making sure the rails were perfectly level then
              noticed that the bed was slightly out of level, in fact was bowed up in the middle. I
              have the galley-high bed and there is that .050 steel liner on it. Between the liner and
              the bed I found a pocket of corrosion that was pushing the center of the liner up.
              After a good cleaning & polishing, my rollers now hold nearly true from front to back.
              So, thanks for all helpful thoughts...and anyone else who buys an SP-15 that hasn't
              been working for years...be sure to lift the liner.

              e j
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 21 1:19 AM
                ej

                Yeah, galley-highs are a bit problematic, though I know many folks who
                do very good work on them. I've always avoided them in the past but
                with bases for photopolymer it really is no longer an issue. Base and
                plate cut to measure at .918 plus .050 (toss the bed plate). No longer
                a problem. I passed on three Vandercook Universal I presses that were
                galley high at a $100 a pop. But then, I also passed on two brand new
                Universal IIIs at $500 a pop.

                Well, I was a working printer, not a warehouser or a pyschic. Still,
                those IIIs were cherry, and I know the folks who got em (ten years
                later, still in storage). And they love em.

                Gerald

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ejquillwort" <minxon@s...> wrote:
                > Final word from SP-15 chronicles. Following the thought that the
                bed & rails had to
                > be out of parallel, I spent some time making sure the rails were
                perfectly level then
                > noticed that the bed was slightly out of level, in fact was bowed
                up in the middle. I
                > have the galley-high bed and there is that .050 steel liner on it.
                Between the liner and
                > the bed I found a pocket of corrosion that was pushing the center of
                the liner up.
                > After a good cleaning & polishing, my rollers now hold nearly true
                from front to back.
                > So, thanks for all helpful thoughts...and anyone else who buys an
                SP-15 that hasn't
                > been working for years...be sure to lift the liner.
                >
                > e j
              • griinga
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 28, 2012
                  I'm wondering if any printers out there have successfully used 230# paper on their Vandercook and how, seeing as you can't use the grippers and cylinder. I've been strictly a platen press printer and now need to get going on my Vandy 15.
                  Thanks for any input.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
                    Probably need to fashion some type of frisket/mask which will hold the stock in position above the form (type or plate)

                    My Vandercook 219 has an arrangement of this sort, which I've never used. It's the same in principle as that used on the iron hand-press, with the large frisket frame folding down over the form.

                    Maybe some digging on Google will find diagrams.

                    Good luck with that.

                    The other consideration is that you may be able to get the heavy stock to run on the cylinder, sans packing, as long as it's wrapping around the cylinder with the grain of the paper parallel to the cylinder.

                    If small pieces are too stiff to control, use larger press sheets, and print one end of the stock, then the other and trim afterwards.

                    The longer sheet will be easier to manage.

                    Not sure about the grippers on the SP15, but on my press there's an adjustment for the height.

                    Just my two cents.

                    Peter

                    Peter Fraterdeus
                    Exquisite letterpress takes time™
                    http://slowprint.com/
                    tweet: @slowprint

                    IdeasWords : Idea Swords
                    Communication Strategy
                    Semiotx.com @ideaswords

                    In memory of my dear sister Kate Friedman
                    Her amazing art — http://katefriedman.com

                  • nohogallery@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
                      What do you really mean by 230# paper?    How many grams/sq.meter?  How big of a sheet?  We have printed 20 x26 600grm lettra on our SP20 and SP25 with reduced packing.  A small sheet would be difficult.  Good luck.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
                        Yes, use it all the time, rives bfk 230.  I make books, I actually use it to print woodcuts, monotypes and letterpress.
                        you can adjust the gripper height,  and you can change the packing, or... you can use a few sheets of newsprint loose behind the paper as removable packing to get your paper to print.... or.... you can put a piece (or two or three) of sheet aluminum litho plate under a wood block that's not quite type high, if you don't want to mess with the packing...  do you know if your vandy is a galley press or not.  if so you need to have the bed at type high first and if the press doesn't have the steel plate that takes up the height of the galley you can order one... the vandy is a proof press, some of the book houses used to proof each galley of type before they put it all together i.e. the galley press bed height is set for the addition of type AND galley...so when printing type alone you need the steel plate to bring the whole pkg. to type high. na graphics sells the steel plate for that.  if you don't know if it's a galley press or not you can tell you from the serial number, at least n. a. graphics can look it up for you.
                        what you don't want to do is add to much packing or plates to make it way to hard to roll the roller, if it feels like it's binding stop and remove packing don't jeopardize the settings ...it's not a platen press and PRESSURE is very very light.
                        if you really want  something more the a "kiss" impression, use the platen press..

                        victoria jutras kniering

                      • fritzmiklaf@bezeqint.net
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012

                          I don’t see why you can’t print 230 gm paper on an SP-15. I have printed some pretty heavy stuff and my friend Ariel even more so. If the cylinder and grippers can’t take it, you could always lay the paper down carefully and run the cylinder over it, kind of like an etching press.

                          Yehuda Miklaf

                          Jerusalem

                          fritzmiklaf@...

                          www.yehudamiklaf.com

                        • Silber MaiKätzchen
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
                            I think that he means heavy Bristol, it comes in 230
                            Lb. basis weight.

                            The basis weight is a term used to describe the weight
                            in pounds of 500 sheets of paper (one ream) of a particular
                            measured size of sheet. Since the sheet size varies
                            from one type of stock to another, the basis weights
                            are not always easily comparable.

                            For example, an office supply store has 8.5 x 11 size
                            cover stock (80 lb Printing Bristol) and 8.5 x 11 size
                            card stock (90 lb Index) side by side on the shelf. Both
                            papers are manufactured by the same company, and
                            a basis weight comparison indicates the card stock
                            (90 lb Index) is heavier than the cover stock(80 lb
                            Printing Bristol). In this example, the cover stock (80
                            lb Printing Bristol) is actually heavier than the card
                            stock (90 lb Index).

                            The reason the cover stock is heavier is because before
                            the two types of paper were cut into 8.5 x 11 size pages,
                            the card stock was a larger sheet size than the sheet size
                            of the cover stock. When the papers were cut during the
                            manufacturing process into 8.5 x 11 size pages, more reams
                            (500 sheets) of paper were received from the card stock sheets
                            than from the cover stock sheets. This makes the weight
                            of the cover stock heavier than the weight of the card
                            stock.

                            It is easier to compare the cover stock metric weight
                            (g/m2) against card stock metric weight (g/m2). If
                            you look at the metric weights of the two stocks in
                            the previous example, it is immediately evident
                            that 80 lb Bristol cover stock (176 g/m2) isheavier
                            than 90 lb Index card stock (163 g/m2).

                            The sheet size used to determine the basis weight of
                            Printing Bristol is 22.5x35" , and the sheet size for
                            the basis weight of Index Bristol is 25.5x30.5". Interestingly
                            enough both numbers result in the same number
                            for a basis weight. The sheet size to determine the basis
                            weight of Cover stock is 20x26".

                            MaiKätzchen

                            Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                            Carpe diem!
                            quam minimum credula postero!

                            Horace
                            Odes Book I

                            What do you really mean by 230# paper?    How many grams/sq.meter?  How big of a sheet?  We have printed 20 x26 600grm lettra on our SP20 and SP25 with reduced packing.  A small sheet would be difficult.  Good luck.

                            I'm wondering if any printers out there have successfully used 230# paper on their Vandercook and how, seeing as you can't use the grippers and cylinder. I've been strictly a platen press printer and now need to get going on my Vandy 15.
                            Thanks for any input.

                          • erik spiekermann

                              What do you really mean by 230# paper?    How many grams/sq.meter?  How big of a sheet?  We have printed 20 x26 600grm lettra on our SP20 and SP25 with reduced packing.  A small sheet would be difficult.  Good luck.

                              I'm wondering if any printers out there have successfully used 230# paper on their Vandercook and how, seeing as you can't use the grippers and cylinder. I've been strictly a platen press printer and now need to get going on my Vandy 15.
                              Thanks for any input.

                            • lauren Stedman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
                                Yehuda,
                                Thank you for your reply. Enjoyed perusing your website. Beautiful baby. Exquisite books.
                                Lauren Stedman

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
                                  Something that will come into play with thicker stocks is the size of your press, specifically the cylinder. Larger Vandercooks like the SP20, SP25, or 219 have larger cylinders than an SP15 or #4, which means the stock does not have to flex as much to wrap around the cylinder.

                                  I have printed coaster stock and 600gsm lettra on my SP20 without difficulty, taking the precautions suggested by others in this thread (grain parellel to the cylinder, larger sheets to avoid slap). If I recall, I printed the coaster stock with just the tympan topsheet and no additional packing.

                                  Good luck!
                                  -----

                                  Mike Dacey

                                  Repeat Press
                                  Custom Letterpress Printing

                                  9 Olive Square
                                  Somerville, MA 02143
                                  617.299.0918

                                  www.repeatpress.com
                                  www.facebook.com/repeatpress
                                  @repeatpress

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                                    By the way, (sorry if it's already been addressed!)

                                    Rives BFK 230 is 230gsm,  Grams/Sq Meter, not 230# LB.
                                    It's probably about 15 point caliper (.015") thick

                                    Crane Lettra double-thick is 220# and 600gsm and 40 point caliper (thickness approx .040")

                                    Reich Savoy double-thick is 236#, about 630gsm

                                    Rising 2-ply museum board is .060" - 60 point.
                                    That's as heavy as I can run on the Windmill ;-)
                                    Don't recommend trying this on a cylinder press.

                                    Cheers!

[...]

                                  • Kim Vanderheiden
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 6, 2012
                                      Victoria,

                                      I feel like I would need to look at your setup to understand the trouble you've been having. I thought maybe I'd catch on from the posts, but I'm still unsure why you have trouble feeding.

                                      We've routinely used 300 lb Waterford, 250 lb Bockingford, and Lettra Duplex which is essentially 220#, all on the Vandercook. I don't know of anything special you would need to do to feed it, unless, as someone brought up, your paper is small and it tries to stick straight up. Even then, it should still work ok, except you'll need to trim of the end of the paper to clean up the bit of ink it picks up when the end of the paper slaps the plate as it rolls past due to its stiffness.

                                      One thing I can offer based on my experience with my own press is that there was a time when I was dealing with a bearing that was worn down on the opposite side from the press operator. Because of this, the grippers were not rising to their full height. I had to build up the track a little - maybe it was with some thin steel rule left over from plate material? Something. I rigged it. Also, there was a spring behind the ramp that had broken. I tucked a piece of furniture behind the ramp (it seemed just the right size) to offer better resistance. Then the grippers worked fine. My sense was that they were designed to rise higher in the first place, but due to wear, and the spring breaking, were not rising very much anymore at all. Mine is a very early model 4 - about 75 years old now I believe.

                                      I don't know if that helps. If you think that may be your problem, here's what I would suggest based on our press's layout: Have someone slowly wheel the carriage out and back for you as you carefully watch how the mechanics work on the opposite side. Carefully manipulate the parts and movements as needed to understand their functions. When you understand the mechanics of the gripper system (it's a lever with a bearing on the bottom that travels up an inclined plane) you may be able to see what the problem is and why the grippers aren't raising sufficiently. On mine, I'm able to manipulate the lever with my hands and raise the grippers manually which is how I figured out how to get around the problem.

                                      (It would sure be nice to restore it some time so that the bearings, ramp and spring are the correct specifications again! I hope I didn't just make everyone groan in frustration at the knowledge of my little rigging effort. )

                                      Good luck!
                                      Kim Vanderheiden