Re: [PPLetterpress] Digest Number 1062

  • sherrybar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
      In a message dated 9/7/2005 7:27:49 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com writes:

      What kind of work will you be doing? and what kind of press will you
      > be printing with? Hard to make recommendations without that
      > information. Quality ink is worth the investment, but it might be best
      > to know what you will be doing before we can steer you in the right
      > direction.

      Thank you for the advise on inks. I will be printing mostly on papers such
      as Somerset Velvet and Book wove. I currently have a Pilot press but am
      hunting hard for a vandercook. I will produce both greeting cards and small runs
      of my own artist books. Does this change any of the words of wisdom? It
      sounds like rubber base will be the way to go and maybe the most easily found
      as well. What are the better qualities of ink? ie: those heavily pigmented?
      Are there any other chemical I should have to adjust the properties of the
      inks? Thanks again. Sherry

    • hollowpress
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2005
        Sherry,
        I print limited editions on a Vandercook using lead type and
        photopolymer plates. I print mostly on Zerkall and Magnani papers -
        Magnani Book Wove and Biblos, fairly heavy papers. I exclusively
        use oil-based inks, most purchased from N.A. Graphics
        (their now-discontinued Hostmann, as well as their tubes of basic
        colours). I also use some colours from Van Son, but always oil.
        It prints well and dries fairly quickly on paper.
        Caryl Peters
        Frog Hollow Press

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, sherrybar@a... wrote:

        > In a message dated 9/7/2005 7:27:49 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >
        > What kind of work will you be doing? and what kind of press will
        you
        > > be printing with? Hard to make recommendations without that
        > > information. Quality ink is worth the investment, but it might
        be best
        > > to know what you will be doing before we can steer you in the
        right
        > > direction.
        >

        > Thank you for the advise on inks. I will be printing mostly on
        papers such
        > as Somerset Velvet and Book wove. I currently have a Pilot press
        but am
        > hunting hard for a vandercook. I will produce both greeting cards
        and small runs
        > of my own artist books. Does this change any of the words of
        wisdom? It
        > sounds like rubber base will be the way to go and maybe the most
        easily found
        > as well. What are the better qualities of ink? ie: those
        heavily pigmented?
        > Are there any other chemical I should have to adjust the
        properties of the
        > inks? Thanks again. Sherry

      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2005
          Hostman-Steinberg is still a stock item with us--their Special Dense Black
          as formulated by Steve Heaver.

          Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
          1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
          Silverton, Colorado 81433