Re: [PPLetterpress] Which Ink base is best for what?

  • Jessica Spring
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2005
      Everybody seems to have preferences for different brands, so you might want
      to try out several. NA Graphics sells an eight color set of Graphic Chemical
      ink in small tubes, oil base. Daniel Smith also has a starter set of their
      oil based ink in 1/4 pound cans or small tubes. Once you figure out what you
      like, you can move to the pound cans.
      --Jessica

      > From: sherrybar@...
      > Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:33:56 EDT
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Which Ink base is best for what?
      >
      > I am a new letterpress printer. I am about to invest in a quantity of ink
      > and am interested in which ink is the best one to start with. I will be
      > mixing colors and using both lead type, cuts and polymer plates. As far as I
      > can
      > tell, there are rubber base, oil base, and a Polymer base (Pro-Line PPI). It
      > is a substantial sum to get 10 - 15 colors and I want great results. Advise
      > please> Sherry B

    • Charles Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
        On Sep 5, 2005, at 11:22 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

        > Sherry
        >
        > What kind of work will you be doing? and what kind of press will you
        > be printing with? Hard to make recommendations without that
        > information. Quality ink is worth the investment, but it might be best
        > to know what you will be doing before we can steer you in the right
        > direction.
        >
        > You really don't need to buy a lot of colors, just the basic
        > primaries, a good black or two, and a good transparent and opaque
        > white. And then a little bit more, and a little bit more. But don't
        > jump in all at once.
        >
        > Gerald

        Gerald is right, Sherry,
        Ink, like paint, is priced according to the amount of pigment, or
        conversely, filler, it contains.
        You also need to think about the surface that you will be printing on.
        The rubber base inks were traditionally preferred by letterpress
        printers because they stayed open on the press but dried quickly on
        paper. If you print onto certain coated papers or vellums the ink
        might be wet several days after printing. Hand litho inks are used by
        many because of the intensity of colors. They are also expensive
        because they are so highly pigmented. Graphic Chemical also has a line
        of perfection palate inks that with a touch of setswell compound print
        nicely. Some colors of whatever brand don't mix as well as the
        manufactered ink. For example, oranges and purples are hard to mix.
        What you should do is buy the basic primaries as was recommended, and
        then small amounts of others as needed. Inks or paints are made with
        differing pigments so that Cobalt, manganese, and ultramarine blue for
        example will be warmer or cooler when mixed with white and would make
        very different greens. Try to get small amounts to begin with until
        you see what will be the most useful.
        Cheers, Charlie

        LaNana Creek Press
        13001 SFA Station