Re: Which Ink base is best for what?

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2005
      Sherry

      What kind of work will you be doing? and what kind of press will you
      be printing with? Hard to make recommendations without that
      information. Quality ink is worth the investment, but it might be best
      to know what you will be doing before we can steer you in the right
      direction.

      You really don't need to buy a lot of colors, just the basic
      primaries, a good black or two, and a good transparent and opaque
      white. And then a little bit more, and a little bit more. But don't
      jump in all at once.

      Gerald

      > I am a new letterpress printer. I am about to invest in a quantity
      of ink
      > and am interested in which ink is the best one to start with. I
      will be
      > mixing colors and using both lead type, cuts and polymer plates. As
      far as I can
      > tell, there are rubber base, oil base, and a Polymer base (Pro-Line
      PPI). It
      > is a substantial sum to get 10 - 15 colors and I want great
      results. Advise
      > please> Sherry B

    • Jessica Spring
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2005
        Everybody seems to have preferences for different brands, so you might want
        to try out several. NA Graphics sells an eight color set of Graphic Chemical
        ink in small tubes, oil base. Daniel Smith also has a starter set of their
        oil based ink in 1/4 pound cans or small tubes. Once you figure out what you
        like, you can move to the pound cans.
        --Jessica

        > From: sherrybar@...
        > Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:33:56 EDT
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Which Ink base is best for what?
        >
        > I am a new letterpress printer. I am about to invest in a quantity of ink
        > and am interested in which ink is the best one to start with. I will be
        > mixing colors and using both lead type, cuts and polymer plates. As far as I
        > can
        > tell, there are rubber base, oil base, and a Polymer base (Pro-Line PPI). It
        > is a substantial sum to get 10 - 15 colors and I want great results. Advise
        > please> Sherry B

      • Charles Jones
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
          On Sep 5, 2005, at 11:22 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

          > Sherry
          >
          > What kind of work will you be doing? and what kind of press will you
          > be printing with? Hard to make recommendations without that
          > information. Quality ink is worth the investment, but it might be best
          > to know what you will be doing before we can steer you in the right
          > direction.
          >
          > You really don't need to buy a lot of colors, just the basic
          > primaries, a good black or two, and a good transparent and opaque
          > white. And then a little bit more, and a little bit more. But don't
          > jump in all at once.
          >
          > Gerald

          Gerald is right, Sherry,
          Ink, like paint, is priced according to the amount of pigment, or
          conversely, filler, it contains.
          You also need to think about the surface that you will be printing on.
          The rubber base inks were traditionally preferred by letterpress
          printers because they stayed open on the press but dried quickly on
          paper. If you print onto certain coated papers or vellums the ink
          might be wet several days after printing. Hand litho inks are used by
          many because of the intensity of colors. They are also expensive
          because they are so highly pigmented. Graphic Chemical also has a line
          of perfection palate inks that with a touch of setswell compound print
          nicely. Some colors of whatever brand don't mix as well as the
          manufactered ink. For example, oranges and purples are hard to mix.
          What you should do is buy the basic primaries as was recommended, and
          then small amounts of others as needed. Inks or paints are made with
          differing pigments so that Cobalt, manganese, and ultramarine blue for
          example will be warmer or cooler when mixed with white and would make
          very different greens. Try to get small amounts to begin with until
          you see what will be the most useful.
          Cheers, Charlie

          LaNana Creek Press
          13001 SFA Station