Re: Toyoba Printight 152 / Rigilon MX II 145 / BASF WS 152

  • elumdesigns
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 3 9:59 AM
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bauder
      <sonomaprinters@a...> wrote:
> [...]
      > > think you are going to experience splay with probably any photopolymer
      > > plate under these conditions. Though I am not experienced with the
      > > Rigilon. Photopolymer plates aren't really designed for this. And
      > > thicker plates are going to splay more than thinner plates.
      > >
      > > I'd suggest using traditional copper engravings on a patent or
      > > magnesium base for really deep impression. Most of the suppliers
      > > accept computer files via email these days. I know Owosso does.
      > > Copper is a bit more expensive but likely worth it as they will give
      > > you what you want, which photopolymer likely cannot.
      > >
      > > Gerald
      > >

      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "elumdesigns" <bhfoster@g...>
      > > wrote:
      > >> I have been processing plates, testing and using the above mentioned
      > >> polymers for the past 8 months. We are looking for a polymer that is
      > >> hard and one that will hold the cleanest type/impression.
      > >>
      > >> We have found that the Printight is a very soft polymer compared to
      > >> the rest and it does not hold up to our style of printing. The type
      > >> just smashes after a few impressions. Has anyone else had this
      > >> problem? I even went as far as to have the A&V rep come down to
      assist
      > >> us with exposing the plates to see if we were doing anything wrong.
      > >> He was surprised at what was happening. Has anyone experienced this?
      > >>
      > >> The BASF polymer by far had the cleanest impression and looked the
      > >> best but the washout smelled real bad, the washout time was extremely
      > >> long and the parent size plate was not a good size for us and we were
      > >> wasting a lot of polymer. This plate was a bit harder than the
      > >> Printight but we still had to back off on the preassure to make
      it work.

      > >> The Rigilon seemed to be the plates that we had the best results
      with.
      > >> Short exposure times, fast washout, holds type very well, clean
      > >> impressions, great shoulder on the type, excellent ink release
      > >> properties and its relatively hard and stable.
      > >>
      > >> Can anyone recommend something that might work for us that they have
      > >> had good results with? Should I stop looking and just use the
      > >> Rigilon? I have learned a lot about photopolymer and processing
      in the
      > >> past 8 months but I feel that I have reached a point where I need
      some
      > >> expert advice on which polymer will work best. Hard and clean....
      > >>
      > >> Thanks for reading.
      > >> Brad
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > Hi Gerald,
      >
      > I agree with you. Copper is by far the better way to go. The walls
      on the
      > letters can be made almost vertical and will make a crisp, clean
      image with
      > a deep impression. The old letterpressman would be rolling over in their
      > graves if they saw what is now the "in vogue" letterpress printing.
      But we
      > can offer something unique that can't be reproduced with a computer
      - by the
      > way, I have a couple of magnetic bases that were used twice if
      someone is
      > interested. E-mail me direct.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Mark Bauder
      > Sonoma Printers

      I agree as well however we are in a very high production situation and
      we are making anywhere fom 75 - 100 plates a week and during our busy
      season, this number can double. We were using Owosso and spending more
      than $700.00 a month in UPS fees alone.
    • elumdesigns
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 3 10:05 AM
        I double, sometimes triple the pre-exposure time. It tends to harden
        the plates more.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "John G. Henry" <JohnH@i...> wrote:
        > I notice that (in the details posted) the postexposures are
        > exceedingly longer than the imaging exposure. Why is this? When
        > setting up my exposure/washout system, I got the impression that the
        > post exposure should be about half the length of the imaging exposure.
        >
        > Can anyone shed some light on this (pardon the pun).
        >
        > John H.
      • elumdesigns
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 8 7:22 AM
          I dont see the table that you created on polymer processing times....

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 8 9:53 AM
            Brad

            Sorry, a couple of the database tables were removed during routine
            housekeeping. It is now back in place.

            Gerald

            elumdesigns wrote:

            >I dont see the table that you created on polymer processing times....
            >
            >--- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:
            >

            >>Thanks Brad
            >>
            >>This is great. Rather than lose this info in the archives I thought
            >>I'd set up a table in the Database section for this. I've already
            >>added my entry. Hope you will do the same with your information. Its
            >>relatively painless and easy to do.
            >>
            >>I think it really useful that members contribute to the reference
            >>resources of the list: Files, Photos, Links, Database. We've got over
            >>790 members now and have been around for over four years but so far
            >>there has been very little willingness on the part of members to share
            >>vital information. Somewhat unfortunate given the potential.
            >>
            >>Gerald
            >>
            >>--- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "elumdesigns" <bhfoster@g...>
            >>

            >wrote:
            >

            >>>I am using the Orbital X as well:
            >>>Rigilon MX II 145
            >>>Exposure 1 min 20 sec
            >>>4.5 to 5 minute washout @ 90 degrees
            >>>10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
            >>>10 minute postexposure
            >>>
            >>>Rigilon HX 145
            >>>Exposure 2 - 3 minutes depending on application and how much shoulder
            >>>we need
            >>>4 minute washout @ 90 degrees
            >>>10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
            >>>15 minute postexposure
            >>>
            >>>Miraclon MS 145
            >>>Exposure 1 min 45 sec
            >>>5 minute washout @ 90 degrees
            >>>10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
            >>>10 minute postexposure
            >>>
            >>>BASF WS152
            >>>Exposure 2 min 30 sec
            >>>10 minute washout @ 90 degrees
            >>>10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
            >>>15 minute postexposure

          • Chad Pastotnik
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 25, 2005
              I'm looking for a chase for a tabletop lever Hohner press with the
              following specs:

              outside dimensions - 11 3/8 x 7+ inches (at least this is the size of
              the bed)
              inside dimensions - 10 x 6 1/2 inches (according to old American
              Printing Equip. & Supply catalogs)

              C&P Pilot chases fit inside the bed between the rails but seem just a
              little to tall. The chase for this particular Hohner (don't know about
              others) requires a recessed area in the outside of the frame to accept
              "ears" that protrude 1/8" from the bed frame and rails as shown in this
              crude illustration where the left margin of the page is the bed of the
              press:
              /]
              / ] 1 1/16"
              / ]
              1/2" [__]

              5/8"

              If anyone can help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it.

              Chad

              Chad Pastotnik
              Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
              www.deepwoodpress.com