Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Toyoba Printight 152 / Rigilon MX II 145 / BASF WS 152

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
      Brad

      If the Rigilon plates are working I'd stick with them. I think that most
      manufacturers have plates formulated for moulding though. I suspose its
      a matter of finding the correct formulation. Its likely also a matter of
      correct exposure and washout time sequences. Sounds like you have it
      right for the Rigilon.

      I remember Regis telling me a long while back that suddenly his
      Printights were disintegrating for some odd reason and so he switched to
      another brand. Don't know if he ever discovered the reason for that.
      I've not had a problem with Toyobo thus far, and more and more of my
      client base is going deep impression. I suspect its a matter of finding
      the sequence that works. Bit of Voodoo to it I'm afraid.

      Gerald

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
        Brad

        What is the sequence you use for the Rigilon? I think it would be
        useful for folks to provide their "successful" sequences here. Of
        course they would need to be very specific to be of any use to others:
        Machine. Manufacturer/Brand/Formulation Code. Exposure time, washout
        time, drying time, post-exposure time. Purpose. Even sources would be
        good.

        For instance (with my A&V Orbital machine) running Toyobo Printight
        152 GRs (steel-backed), which I buy from A&V, I have a generic
        sequence for deep impression as 6 minutes exposure, 5 minutes washout
        (90 degrees F), 15 minutes drying time (150 degrees F) and 12 minutes
        post-exposure. I modify this a bit per client dependent upon their
        intended use and practices.

        Gerald
      • elumdesigns
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
          Gerald, Which Toyoba are you using. I want to call and get some test
          sheets from them.

          Thanks for the info.

        • elumdesigns
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
            I am using the Orbital X as well:
            Rigilon MX II 145
            Exposure 1 min 20 sec
            4.5 to 5 minute washout @ 90 degrees
            10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
            10 minute postexposure

            Rigilon HX 145
            Exposure 2 - 3 minutes depending on application and how much shoulder
            we need
            4 minute washout @ 90 degrees
            10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
            15 minute postexposure

            Miraclon MS 145
            Exposure 1 min 45 sec
            5 minute washout @ 90 degrees
            10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
            10 minute postexposure

            BASF WS152
            Exposure 2 min 30 sec
            10 minute washout @ 90 degrees

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
              Thanks Brad

              This is great. Rather than lose this info in the archives I thought
              I'd set up a table in the Database section for this. I've already
              added my entry. Hope you will do the same with your information. Its
              relatively painless and easy to do.

              I think it really useful that members contribute to the reference
              resources of the list: Files, Photos, Links, Database. We've got over
              790 members now and have been around for over four years but so far
              there has been very little willingness on the part of members to share
              vital information. Somewhat unfortunate given the potential.

              Gerald

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "elumdesigns" <bhfoster@g...> wrote:
              > I am using the Orbital X as well:
              > Rigilon MX II 145
              > Exposure 1 min 20 sec
              > 4.5 to 5 minute washout @ 90 degrees
              > 10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
              > 10 minute postexposure
              >
              > Rigilon HX 145
              > Exposure 2 - 3 minutes depending on application and how much shoulder
              > we need
              > 4 minute washout @ 90 degrees
              > 10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
              > 15 minute postexposure
              >
              > Miraclon MS 145
              > Exposure 1 min 45 sec
              > 5 minute washout @ 90 degrees
              > 10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
              > 10 minute postexposure
              >
              > BASF WS152
              > Exposure 2 min 30 sec
              > 10 minute washout @ 90 degrees
              > 10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
              > 15 minute postexposure
              >

              > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>
              wrote:
              > > Brad
              > >
              > > What is the sequence you use for the Rigilon? I think it would be
              > > useful for folks to provide their "successful" sequences here. Of
              > > course they would need to be very specific to be of any use to others:
              > > Machine. Manufacturer/Brand/Formulation Code. Exposure time, washout
              > > time, drying time, post-exposure time. Purpose. Even sources would be
              > > good.
              > >
              > > For instance (with my A&V Orbital machine) running Toyobo Printight
              > > 152 GRs (steel-backed), which I buy from A&V, I have a generic
              > > sequence for deep impression as 6 minutes exposure, 5 minutes washout
              > > (90 degrees F), 15 minutes drying time (150 degrees F) and 12 minutes
              > > post-exposure. I modify this a bit per client dependent upon their
              > > intended use and practices.
              > >
              > > Gerald
            • Mark Bauder
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
                on 8/31/05 11:14 PM, Gerald Lange at bieler@... wrote:

                > Brad
                >
                > The Toyobos are fairly hard as far as letterpress photopolymer plates
                > go. But hardness rating per se is not a guarantee of "solidity." More
                > like the hardness rating of an inking roller where it is used as an
                > indicator of transfer qualities.
                >
                > You mention "our style of printing." I'm assuming deep impression? I
                > think you are going to experience splay with probably any photopolymer
                > plate under these conditions. Though I am not experienced with the
                > Rigilon. Photopolymer plates aren't really designed for this. And
                > thicker plates are going to splay more than thinner plates.
                >
                > I'd suggest using traditional copper engravings on a patent or
                > magnesium base for really deep impression. Most of the suppliers
                > accept computer files via email these days. I know Owosso does.
                > Copper is a bit more expensive but likely worth it as they will give
                > you what you want, which photopolymer likely cannot.
                >
                > Gerald
                >

                > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "elumdesigns" <bhfoster@g...>
                > wrote:
                >> I have been processing plates, testing and using the above mentioned
                >> polymers for the past 8 months. We are looking for a polymer that is
                >> hard and one that will hold the cleanest type/impression.
                >>
                >> We have found that the Printight is a very soft polymer compared to
                >> the rest and it does not hold up to our style of printing. The type
                >> just smashes after a few impressions. Has anyone else had this
                >> problem? I even went as far as to have the A&V rep come down to assist
                >> us with exposing the plates to see if we were doing anything wrong.
                >> He was surprised at what was happening. Has anyone experienced this?
                >>
                >> The BASF polymer by far had the cleanest impression and looked the
                >> best but the washout smelled real bad, the washout time was extremely
                >> long and the parent size plate was not a good size for us and we were
                >> wasting a lot of polymer. This plate was a bit harder than the
                >> Printight but we still had to back off on the preassure to make it work.
                >>
                >> The Rigilon seemed to be the plates that we had the best results with.
                >> Short exposure times, fast washout, holds type very well, clean
                >> impressions, great shoulder on the type, excellent ink release
                >> properties and its relatively hard and stable.
                >>
                >> Can anyone recommend something that might work for us that they have
                >> had good results with? Should I stop looking and just use the
                >> Rigilon? I have learned a lot about photopolymer and processing in the
                >> past 8 months but I feel that I have reached a point where I need some
                >> expert advice on which polymer will work best. Hard and clean....
                >>
                >> Thanks for reading.
                >> Brad
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Hi Gerald,

                I agree with you. Copper is by far the better way to go. The walls on the
                letters can be made almost vertical and will make a crisp, clean image with
                a deep impression. The old letterpressman would be rolling over in their
                graves if they saw what is now the "in vogue" letterpress printing. But we
                can offer something unique that can't be reproduced with a computer - by the
                way, I have a couple of magnetic bases that were used twice if someone is
                interested. E-mail me direct.

                Cheers,
                Mark Bauder
                Sonoma Printers
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Scott

                  Well, Martha has single handedly given letterpress a second wind so
                  perhaps we owe her a tip of the hat. Likely some fine printers should
                  schedule a meeting with her, show her some fine press books with
                  appropriate impression and it will all change by the next issue of
                  Martha Stewart Living. I can envision it now, "letterpress gets its
                  beauty from its impression into the paper, which captures light and
                  shadow in a magical way. . . but NOT too much impression mind you, or
                  you will ruin the effect." That would do it.

                  Gerald

                  > I do not have experience with Toyoba or Printight, but in general, for
                  > very heavy impressions, I have done well with polymer. It certainly
                  > stands up much longer than does lead type to the demands of the Martha
                  > Stewart Heavy Impression Generation.
                  >
                  > I hope to see a lot more feedback from Toyoba users.
                  >
                  > --Scott
                • John G. Henry
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 2, 2005
                    I notice that (in the details posted) the postexposures are
                    exceedingly longer than the imaging exposure. Why is this? When
                    setting up my exposure/washout system, I got the impression that the
                    post exposure should be about half the length of the imaging exposure.

                    Can anyone shed some light on this (pardon the pun).

                    John H.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 2, 2005
                      John

                      Most of the information sheets provided with plates indicate a longer
                      postexposure than initial exposure. I'd think you would at least need
                      as long a postexposure as initial exposure as the postexposure is
                      reponsible for the polymerization of the subsurface area. This would
                      be necessary to ensure stability.

                      Most of the sheets that I have read indicate a postexposure to double
                      that of the initial exposure.

                      There is also some technical information that indicates that longer
                      postexposure helps to defer ozone attack though I'm not sure what the
                      consequences of too much postexposure would be as there is a certain
                      point where polymerization is complete (the molecular growth and
                      linkage has maxed out) and the effect of further ultraviolet exposure
                      is minimal. It would sort of have to be or the plates would be
                      continually changing while on press.

                      But then, I'm only on my second cup of coffee. . .

                      Gerald

                      > I notice that (in the details posted) the postexposures are
                      > exceedingly longer than the imaging exposure. Why is this? When
                      > setting up my exposure/washout system, I got the impression that the
                      > post exposure should be about half the length of the imaging exposure.
                      >
                      > Can anyone shed some light on this (pardon the pun).
                      >
                      > John H.
                    • elumdesigns
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                        I am a believer that we are all in this together, regardless of
                        competition and any information that people can learn from each other
                        is only beneficial. I have gone to competitors in my industry when i
                        have had issues and problems that i needed help solving. We a very
                        young company so learning from mistakes and from other was vital. My
                        peers (competition) have helped me tremendously and it has been
                        invaluable.

                      • elumdesigns
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bauder
                          <sonomaprinters@a...> wrote:
> [...]
                          > >> past 8 months but I feel that I have reached a point where I need
                          some
                          > >> expert advice on which polymer will work best. Hard and clean....
                          > >>
                          > >> Thanks for reading.
                          > >> Brad
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > Hi Gerald,
                          >
                          > I agree with you. Copper is by far the better way to go. The walls
                          on the
                          > letters can be made almost vertical and will make a crisp, clean
                          image with
                          > a deep impression. The old letterpressman would be rolling over in their
                          > graves if they saw what is now the "in vogue" letterpress printing.
                          But we
                          > can offer something unique that can't be reproduced with a computer
                          - by the
                          > way, I have a couple of magnetic bases that were used twice if

                          I agree as well however we are in a very high production situation and
                          we are making anywhere fom 75 - 100 plates a week and during our busy
                          season, this number can double. We were using Owosso and spending more
                          than $700.00 a month in UPS fees alone.
                        • elumdesigns
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 3, 2005
                            I double, sometimes triple the pre-exposure time. It tends to harden
                            the plates more.

                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "John G. Henry" <JohnH@i...> wrote:
                            > I notice that (in the details posted) the postexposures are
                            > exceedingly longer than the imaging exposure. Why is this? When
                            > setting up my exposure/washout system, I got the impression that the
                            > post exposure should be about half the length of the imaging exposure.
                            >
                            > Can anyone shed some light on this (pardon the pun).
                            >
                            > John H.
                          • elumdesigns
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 8, 2005
                              I dont see the table that you created on polymer processing times....

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 8, 2005
                                Brad

                                Sorry, a couple of the database tables were removed during routine
                                housekeeping. It is now back in place.

                                Gerald

                                elumdesigns wrote:

                                >I dont see the table that you created on polymer processing times....
                                >
                                >--- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:
                                >

                                >>Thanks Brad
                                >>
                                >>This is great. Rather than lose this info in the archives I thought
                                >>I'd set up a table in the Database section for this. I've already
                                >>added my entry. Hope you will do the same with your information. Its
                                >>relatively painless and easy to do.
                                >>
                                >>I think it really useful that members contribute to the reference
                                >>resources of the list: Files, Photos, Links, Database. We've got over
                                >>790 members now and have been around for over four years but so far
                                >>there has been very little willingness on the part of members to share
                                >>vital information. Somewhat unfortunate given the potential.
                                >>
                                >>Gerald
                                >>
                                >>--- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "elumdesigns" <bhfoster@g...>
                                >>

                                >wrote:
                                >

                                >>>I am using the Orbital X as well:
                                >>>Rigilon MX II 145
                                >>>Exposure 1 min 20 sec
                                >>>4.5 to 5 minute washout @ 90 degrees
                                >>>10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
                                >>>10 minute postexposure
                                >>>
                                >>>Rigilon HX 145
                                >>>Exposure 2 - 3 minutes depending on application and how much shoulder
                                >>>we need
                                >>>4 minute washout @ 90 degrees
                                >>>10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
                                >>>15 minute postexposure
                                >>>
                                >>>Miraclon MS 145
                                >>>Exposure 1 min 45 sec
                                >>>5 minute washout @ 90 degrees
                                >>>10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
                                >>>10 minute postexposure
                                >>>
                                >>>BASF WS152
                                >>>Exposure 2 min 30 sec
                                >>>10 minute washout @ 90 degrees
                                >>>10 minutes drying time @ 165 degrees (need to check temp to be exact.)
                                >>>15 minute postexposure

                              • Chad Pastotnik
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 25, 2005
                                  I'm looking for a chase for a tabletop lever Hohner press with the
                                  following specs:

                                  outside dimensions - 11 3/8 x 7+ inches (at least this is the size of
                                  the bed)
                                  inside dimensions - 10 x 6 1/2 inches (according to old American
                                  Printing Equip. & Supply catalogs)

                                  C&P Pilot chases fit inside the bed between the rails but seem just a
                                  little to tall. The chase for this particular Hohner (don't know about
                                  others) requires a recessed area in the outside of the frame to accept
                                  "ears" that protrude 1/8" from the bed frame and rails as shown in this
                                  crude illustration where the left margin of the page is the bed of the
                                  press:
                                  /]
                                  / ] 1 1/16"
                                  / ]
                                  1/2" [__]

                                  5/8"

                                  If anyone can help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it.

                                  Chad

                                  Chad Pastotnik
                                  Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                                  www.deepwoodpress.com