Half tone results

  • Shelly Monte
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26 7:27 PM
      Greetings, I would like to inquire if anyone has experience printing half
      tone images from a polymer plate on Rives BFK 330 gm. per square meter.
      paper. Is there a better paper choice with a similar weight that could be
      suggested?
      Thank you,
      Shelly Monte
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26 11:23 PM
        Shelly

        I'd think a smoother paper would produce better results. I've used
        Magnani Incisioni, a similar weight mouldmade which I think is now
        called Pescia, with good results at 150 lpi (see pic Cervantes in my
        folder in the Photos section). Probably the best photopolymer plate to
        use for halftones is a BASF (at slightly less thickness than normal)
        but I'd likely go for a copper engraving mounted on a stable base. The
        reason is that halftones need to be cleaned of ink constantly (as soon
        as they show any bridging or accumulation) and photopolymer has a tack
        to it. Great at the printing surface, not so great at the subsurface
        relief (which will attract the ink and debris from cleaning). The
        halftone will start to get fuzzy.

        Halftones are tricky with letterpress and, if as expected today, you
        are the one adjusting the tonal values, avoid significant contrasts
        for best results and do not include gray values below 20 percent as
        they tend to drop out at high resolution.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Shelly Monte
        <thebookcenter@s...> wrote:
        > Greetings, I would like to inquire if anyone has experience printing
        half
        > tone images from a polymer plate on Rives BFK 330 gm. per square meter.
        > paper. Is there a better paper choice with a similar weight that
        could be
        > suggested?
        > Thank you,
        > Shelly Monte
      • Shelly Monte
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 27 9:22 PM
          Thank you Gerald.
          Shelly

          On 8/26/05 11:23 PM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:

          > Shelly
          >
          > I'd think a smoother paper would produce better results. I've used
          > Magnani Incisioni, a similar weight mouldmade which I think is now
          > called Pescia, with good results at 150 lpi (see pic Cervantes in my
          > folder in the Photos section). Probably the best photopolymer plate to
          > use for halftones is a BASF (at slightly less thickness than normal)
          > but I'd likely go for a copper engraving mounted on a stable base. The
          > reason is that halftones need to be cleaned of ink constantly (as soon
          > as they show any bridging or accumulation) and photopolymer has a tack
          > to it. Great at the printing surface, not so great at the subsurface
          > relief (which will attract the ink and debris from cleaning). The
          > halftone will start to get fuzzy.
          >
          > Halftones are tricky with letterpress and, if as expected today, you
          > are the one adjusting the tonal values, avoid significant contrasts
          > for best results and do not include gray values below 20 percent as
          > they tend to drop out at high resolution.
          >
          > Gerald
          >
          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Shelly Monte
          > <thebookcenter@s...> wrote:
          >> > Greetings, I would like to inquire if anyone has experience printing
          > half
          >> > tone images from a polymer plate on Rives BFK 330 gm. per square meter.
          >> > paper. Is there a better paper choice with a similar weight that
          > could be
          >> > suggested?
          >> > Thank you,
          >> > Shelly Monte
          >

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > * Visit your group "PPLetterpress
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress> " on the web.
          > *
          > *
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Joel at D.L.
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 29 9:41 AM
            Hi Shelly,
            One thing you can do to improve the crispness of a halftone on a linty
            paper like Rives is to blind-deboss the area where the halftone will go,
            to flatten it out. You need a separate plate sized the same as the
            halftone, but "solid", and it's a separate pass through the press of
            course. But you get a better result.

            Best,
            Joel

            Joel Benson
            Dependable Letterpress
            San Francisco

            Shelly Monte wrote:

            >Greetings, I would like to inquire if anyone has experience printing half
            >tone images from a polymer plate on Rives BFK 330 gm. per square meter.
            >paper. Is there a better paper choice with a similar weight that could be
            >suggested?
            >Thank you,
            >Shelly Monte
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Regis Graden
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 29 10:04 AM
              Hi Shelly,

              Joel gave you a very good "Trick of the Trade". You can even enhance that by laying down a very light cream or very light tan ink tint at the same time as the deboss. It frames in the halftone and usually is an enhancement.

              Good Luck,

              Regis

              Shelly Monte wrote:

              >Greetings, I would like to inquire if anyone has experience printing half
              >tone images from a polymer plate on Rives BFK 330 gm. per square meter.
              >paper. Is there a better paper choice with a similar weight that could be
              >suggested?
              >Thank you,
              >Shelly Monte
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing

            • Shelly Monte
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 29 3:55 PM
                Dear Regis, what a wonderful suggestion. Thanks very much.
                Shelly

                On 8/29/05 10:04 AM, "Regis Graden" <regispolyplates@...> wrote:

                > Hi Shelly,
                >
                > Joel gave you a very good "Trick of the Trade". You can even enhance that by
                > laying down a very light cream or very light tan ink tint at the same time as
                > the deboss. It frames in the halftone and usually is an enhancement.
                >
                > Good Luck,
                >
                > Regis
                >
                > "Joel at D.L." <dep.letterpress@...> wrote:
                > Hi Shelly,
                > One thing you can do to improve the crispness of a halftone on a linty
                > paper like Rives is to blind-deboss the area where the halftone will go,
                > to flatten it out. You need a separate plate sized the same as the
                > halftone, but "solid", and it's a separate pass through the press of
                > course. But you get a better result.
                >
                > Best,
                > Joel
                >
                > Joel Benson
                > Dependable Letterpress
                > San Francisco
                >

                > Shelly Monte wrote:
                >
                >> Greetings, I would like to inquire if anyone has experience printing half
                >> tone images from a polymer plate on Rives BFK 330 gm. per square meter.
                >> paper. Is there a better paper choice with a similar weight that could be
                >> suggested?
                >> Thank you,
                >> Shelly Monte
                >>

                >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > * Visit your group "PPLetterpress
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress> " on the web.
                > *
                > *
                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Michael T. Metz
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Has anybody run into problems with their
                  water heating system on an orbital?

                  I tested the heating element and there
                  is nothing wrong with it. There are three
                  other places that could fail. Thermostat,
                  thermostat switch, or the resistor.

                  Mike
                • elumdesigns
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Yes, I had issues with it. It was recently replaced and the new one
                    is doing the same thing. Temp runs real high and the polymer burns
                    onto the heating element.

                    Call A&V they will replae it for you. They know about the problem.

                    Brad

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T. Metz" <mtmetz@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > Has anybody run into problems with their
                    > water heating system on an orbital?
                    >
                    > I tested the heating element and there
                    > is nothing wrong with it. There are three
                    > other places that could fail. Thermostat,
                    > thermostat switch, or the resistor.
                    >
                    > Mike
                  • Michael T. Metz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                      Hello Brad,
                      What did you replace?
                      Mike

                      wrote:
                      > Has anybody run into problems with their
                      > water heating system on an orbital?
                      >
                      > I tested the heating element and there
                      > is nothing wrong with it. There are three
                      > other places that could fail. Thermostat,
                      > thermostat switch, or the resistor.
                      >
                      > Mike

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • elumdesigns
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                        A&V came in and replaced the thermostat and temp dial on it. There
                        was a few issues with my new machine that needed attention and they
                        just sent a Tech by for two days to fis all of thes issues and update
                        the machine with the new parts.

                        wrote:
                        > Hello Brad,
                        > What did you replace?
                        > Mike

                      • elumdesigns
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 8, 2005
                          The thermostat switch was replaced as well. "run-away" thermostat i
                          think they called it....