Process camera

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2005
      For anyone who might be interested... I have a Berkey-Omega 20" X 24"
      process camera that is free to the first person that stops by with a
      truck and a helper to load it. I'm in Toledo, Ohio. If you want to
      know more email me at mlarndt@.... I hate the idea of
      scrapping this camera. Won't someone please give it a home?
    • Ed Inman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27, 2005
        That's a real nice camera, Mel.

        Omega is top of the line and a great deal for anyone near Ohio who wants to make their own negatives. Good luck in finding a home for it. If no takers you might try ebay. There are several cameras on ebay right now starting at around $50.

        One that caught my eye is a cute little G18 for anyone near Oklahoma who is looking for a light-weight, small horizontal camera:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/Argyle-Model-G18-Process-Camera-Argyle-Graphic_W0QQitemZ7540453462QQcategoryZ297QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

        Current price is $30.

        The G18 was one of the smaller process cameras ever made and is not as common as the bigger ones. It can be easily picked up and moved by a couple of people and fits nicely within a home darkroom of modest size.

        It exposes film up to 14" x 18" and will reduce/enlarge from 33 percent to 200 percent. Convenient, easy-to-understand dials make exposure and focusing almost foolproof.

        In addition to making negatives for photopolymer plates, these cameras are excellent for copying old B&W photographs or even making halftones the old fashioned way with a contact screen.

        The one bad thing is that this one doesn't appear to come with a vacuum pump to hold the film in place. However, you can adapt almost any old vacuum cleaner or similar device with a hose for this purpose.

        Ed

      • David S. Rose
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2005
          Ed,
          Did you ever have any experience with the POS ONE unit that combined a
          process camera with a daylight developing section? They always struck me as
          being pretty handy things for folks like us...

          -David

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
            Hi David,
            I am vaguely aware of those but I've never used one. Didn't ITEK cameras make direct offset printing plates?
            Anyway, sorry for not replying sooner. Still no lights or phone where I live due to the hurricane--just catching
            up on my e-mail from a friend's house that got back power today.
            Ed

            Did you ever have any experience with the POS ONE unit that combined a
            process camera with a daylight developing section? They always struck me as
            being pretty handy things for folks like us...

            -David

            > From: Ed Inman <edinman@...>
            > Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:36:55 -0500
            > To: "PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com" <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: RE: [PPLetterpress] Process camera
            >

            > That's a real nice camera, Mel.
            >
            > Omega is top of the line and a great deal for anyone near Ohio who wants to
            > make their own negatives. Good luck in finding a home for it. If no takers you
            > might try ebay. There are several cameras on ebay right now starting at around
            > $50.
            >
            > One that caught my eye is a cute little G18 for anyone near Oklahoma who is
            > looking for a light-weight, small horizontal camera:
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/Argyle-Model-G18-Process-Camera-Argyle-Graphic_W0QQitemZ75
            > 40453462QQcategoryZ297QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
            >
            > Current price is $30.
            >
            > The G18 was one of the smaller process cameras ever made and is not as common
            > as the bigger ones. It can be easily picked up and moved by a couple of people
            > and fits nicely within a home darkroom of modest size.
            >
            > It exposes film up to 14" x 18" and will reduce/enlarge from 33 percent to 200
            > percent. Convenient, easy-to-understand dials make exposure and focusing
            > almost foolproof.
            >
            > In addition to making negatives for photopolymer plates, these cameras are
            > excellent for copying old B&W photographs or even making halftones the old
            > fashioned way with a contact screen.
            >
            > The one bad thing is that this one doesn't appear to come with a vacuum pump
            > to hold the film in place. However, you can adapt almost any old vacuum
            > cleaner or similar device with a hose for this purpose.
            >
            > Ed

            Yahoo! Groups Links