Re: Sheeps Wool Brush For Bronzing

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
      Graham

      Well, initially I did think about this, just because I thought the
      shape useful. But they don't tell you what the brushes are made of. I
      did learn that camel hair brushes are made from squirrel tail but no
      further information on the chemical part of all of this. Best sources
      seem to be those old 19th c. recipe books. Have a bunch of them.
      Sheeps wool.

      Gerald

      > You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply
      make-up
      > (cosmetic powders).
      >

      > Graham Moss
      > Incline Press
      > 36 Bow Street
      > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
      > http://www.inclinepress.com
      >

      > On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:
      >
      > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
      > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
      > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
      > >
      > > Gerald
    • Regis Graden
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
        Gerald,

        Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I didn't know. I learn something new every day!

        Thanks,

        Regis

        Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
        Regis

        Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
        at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
        this old body. Thanks for the concern though.

        My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
        and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
        contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
        transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
        manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
        having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
        corrode the spirit"!

        Gerald

        > Gerald,
        >
        > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
        fine. Use a breathing mask.

        > Regis
        >
        > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
        > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
        > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
        > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.

        Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

      • John Cornelisse
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
          Hi All,

          The attraction of the dust-particles is an just a electrical phenomomen...

          Static electricity...

          The cotton wool I normally use works fine, the cotton fibres
          have some electric charge, and this attracts the metal.

          The lanoline in wool can be taken away very easely, just wash it it a few times
          with some soft soap...

          After this, I think you can use sheep wool too.

          Some weeks ago, I found some other colors: a very dark green, and a dark
          red powder
          in an old printshop, the owner has passed away some years ago...

          I will try that powders some time for sure.

          Best wishes

          John Cornelisse

          At 21:01 13-08-2005, you wrote:
          >Gerald,
          >
          >Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I
          >didn't know. I learn something new every day!
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Regis
          >
          >Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
          >Regis
          >
          >Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
          >at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
          >this old body. Thanks for the concern though.
          >
          >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
          >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
          >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
          >transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
          >manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
          >having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
          >corrode the spirit"!
          >
          >Gerald
          >

          > > Gerald,
          > >
          > > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
          >fine. Use a breathing mask.
          > >
          > > Regis
          > >
          > > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
          > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
          > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
          > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
          > >
          > > Gerald

          >Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

          >cover design
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=laPdR8UAMpa17R--2Fdr2A>Design
          >book
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=CdTLystWBVuQPIY4oi17jA>Graphic
          >design book
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+printing&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=AOhpQijhwiTaeNCAE5ywGA>Book
          >printing
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Printing+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=bWzqP91Pt8MNWny1uI5y2Q>Printing
          >book

          > *
          >

          >----------

          Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

          Vaartstraat 23
          4553 AN Philippine
          (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
          The Netherlands

          + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
          email: enkidu@...

          So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
          he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

        • cutvelvet@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
            >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
            >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
            >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
            >transfer) and prevents accumulation.

            If we're talking about the same bronzing powder--mine is in a small
            metal can from the 40s or 50s--I'm wondering how easily you've been
            able to wipe away the excess. Mine seems to cling almost as
            ferociously to the rest of the paper as to the fresh ink. I've heard
            the process works much better on a smooth or even slick paper, but
            that's not what I want to print on. Have you used this powder on
            mildly textured art papers, like Arches cover or Somerset velvet? Any
            suggestions would be appreciated. I've even resorted to making a
            template within which to brush on the powder, in order to minimize
            the amount that wanders.

            Thanks--

            Lisa
            Littoral Press
          • Fritz Klinke
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
              Lisa brings up an excellent point in this discussion about type of paper.
              All of the bronzing work I was involved with on a commercial basis when I
              worked in San Francisco (1960s) was done on coated paper, and primarily for
              food can labels. These were typically the large sheets off our 54x77 inch
              Miehle 4 and 5 color units (offset) and the printed sheets when dry were run
              through the bronzing machine that laid down an image of varnish in the
              appropriate location and the sheet then passed immediately into the bronzing
              unit of the machine. The sheet then went through a vacuuming unit to remove
              the excess powder, then through a 30 foot long drying unit. But what a messy
              operation--that part of the plant was permanently gold colored, and I don't
              think it was a healthy place to be. Gold on tuna fish labels, etc., was a
              nice touch, but one we have all gotten used to not seeing on the grocery
              shelves at least for labels printed in this country.

              Coarse fibered stock, and that will be most uncoated sheets other than
              smooth finish book, index, and bond papers, will trap the bronze powder.

              Fritz

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                Yes, thus the reason for the inquiry regarding sheeps wool. I've read
                every bit of historical writing on the subject that I could get my
                hands on. Specifically in regard to bronzing done on rough surfaced
                (dampened) handmade paper. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it
                now. "The old guys" did have solutions for the various problems
                associated with bronzing but they do involve certain techniques and
                specific materials. But they didn't have one thing that we do, an itty
                bitty battery powered vacuum cleaner (slightly modifed). Some old,
                some new, looks like I might have a pretty good handle on this.

                Thanks to all who replied (and supplied). When all is said and done
                I'll file my report :—)

                Gerald