Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Sheeps Wool Brush For Bronzing

  • Kathleen Whalen
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
      Ah, now I understand a little better. What about the sheepskin gloves, with
      the sheepswool inside them? Or the mitts made for fines polishing? Lanolin
      is available bottled as an oil if that's the major factor.

      Graham Moss
      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England
      http://www.inclinepress.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
        Graham

        Well, initially I did think about this, just because I thought the
        shape useful. But they don't tell you what the brushes are made of. I
        did learn that camel hair brushes are made from squirrel tail but no
        further information on the chemical part of all of this. Best sources
        seem to be those old 19th c. recipe books. Have a bunch of them.
        Sheeps wool.

        Gerald

        > You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply
        make-up
        > (cosmetic powders).
        >

        > Graham Moss
        > Incline Press
        > 36 Bow Street
        > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
        > http://www.inclinepress.com
        >

        > On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:
        >
        > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
        > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
        > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
        > >
        > > Gerald
      • Regis Graden
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
          Gerald,

          Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I didn't know. I learn something new every day!

          Thanks,

          Regis

          Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
          Regis

          Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
          at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
          this old body. Thanks for the concern though.

          My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
          and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
          contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
          transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
          manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
          having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
          corrode the spirit"!

          Gerald

          > Gerald,
          >
          > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
          fine. Use a breathing mask.

          > Regis
          >
          > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
          > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
          > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
          > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.

          Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

        • John Cornelisse
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
            Hi All,

            The attraction of the dust-particles is an just a electrical phenomomen...

            Static electricity...

            The cotton wool I normally use works fine, the cotton fibres
            have some electric charge, and this attracts the metal.

            The lanoline in wool can be taken away very easely, just wash it it a few times
            with some soft soap...

            After this, I think you can use sheep wool too.

            Some weeks ago, I found some other colors: a very dark green, and a dark
            red powder
            in an old printshop, the owner has passed away some years ago...

            I will try that powders some time for sure.

            Best wishes

            John Cornelisse

            At 21:01 13-08-2005, you wrote:
            >Gerald,
            >
            >Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I
            >didn't know. I learn something new every day!
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Regis
            >
            >Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
            >Regis
            >
            >Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
            >at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
            >this old body. Thanks for the concern though.
            >
            >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
            >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
            >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
            >transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
            >manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
            >having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
            >corrode the spirit"!
            >
            >Gerald
            >

            > > Gerald,
            > >
            > > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
            >fine. Use a breathing mask.
            > >
            > > Regis
            > >
            > > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
            > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
            > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
            > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
            > >
            > > Gerald

            >Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

            >cover design
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=laPdR8UAMpa17R--2Fdr2A>Design
            >book
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=CdTLystWBVuQPIY4oi17jA>Graphic
            >design book
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+printing&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=AOhpQijhwiTaeNCAE5ywGA>Book
            >printing
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Printing+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=bWzqP91Pt8MNWny1uI5y2Q>Printing
            >book

            > *
            >

            >----------

            Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

            Vaartstraat 23
            4553 AN Philippine
            (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
            The Netherlands

            + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
            email: enkidu@...

            So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
            he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

          • cutvelvet@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
              >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
              >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
              >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
              >transfer) and prevents accumulation.

              If we're talking about the same bronzing powder--mine is in a small
              metal can from the 40s or 50s--I'm wondering how easily you've been
              able to wipe away the excess. Mine seems to cling almost as
              ferociously to the rest of the paper as to the fresh ink. I've heard
              the process works much better on a smooth or even slick paper, but
              that's not what I want to print on. Have you used this powder on
              mildly textured art papers, like Arches cover or Somerset velvet? Any
              suggestions would be appreciated. I've even resorted to making a
              template within which to brush on the powder, in order to minimize
              the amount that wanders.

              Thanks--

              Lisa
              Littoral Press
            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                Lisa brings up an excellent point in this discussion about type of paper.
                All of the bronzing work I was involved with on a commercial basis when I
                worked in San Francisco (1960s) was done on coated paper, and primarily for
                food can labels. These were typically the large sheets off our 54x77 inch
                Miehle 4 and 5 color units (offset) and the printed sheets when dry were run
                through the bronzing machine that laid down an image of varnish in the
                appropriate location and the sheet then passed immediately into the bronzing
                unit of the machine. The sheet then went through a vacuuming unit to remove
                the excess powder, then through a 30 foot long drying unit. But what a messy
                operation--that part of the plant was permanently gold colored, and I don't
                think it was a healthy place to be. Gold on tuna fish labels, etc., was a
                nice touch, but one we have all gotten used to not seeing on the grocery
                shelves at least for labels printed in this country.

                Coarse fibered stock, and that will be most uncoated sheets other than
                smooth finish book, index, and bond papers, will trap the bronze powder.

                Fritz

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                  Yes, thus the reason for the inquiry regarding sheeps wool. I've read
                  every bit of historical writing on the subject that I could get my
                  hands on. Specifically in regard to bronzing done on rough surfaced
                  (dampened) handmade paper. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it
                  now. "The old guys" did have solutions for the various problems
                  associated with bronzing but they do involve certain techniques and
                  specific materials. But they didn't have one thing that we do, an itty
                  bitty battery powered vacuum cleaner (slightly modifed). Some old,
                  some new, looks like I might have a pretty good handle on this.

                  Thanks to all who replied (and supplied). When all is said and done
                  I'll file my report :—)

                  Gerald