Re: Sheeps Wool Brush For Bronzing

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
      Farida

      Crazy ideas are the best. I doubt I have a month :—) but thank you so
      much.

      Gerald

      > Gerald,
      >
      > Conservation Support Systems offers the Classic Hake
      > Brush with the "finest, softest, select sheep hair."
      > Our conservator has a few on hand. I think CSS is
      > based in Santa Barbara.
      >
      > http://www.silcom.com/~css/
      >
      > This may be a crazy idea, but if you wanted to make
      > your own sheep's wool pad, the LA County Fair is
      > coming up next month; you could take home freshly
      > sheared wool....
      >
      > Farida
      >

      > > My understanding of the process is that a pad is
      > > best for application
      > > and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps
      > > wool apparently
      > > contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder
      > > (thus facilitating
      > > transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I
      > > have found, no one
      > > manufacturers anything like this anymore. And,
      > > besides, I really like
      > > having the most appropriate tool; for as you know,
      > > "inferior tools
      > > corrode the spirit"!
      > >
      > > Gerald

    • Kathleen Whalen
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
        You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply make-up
        (cosmetic powders).

        Graham Moss
        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England
        http://www.inclinepress.com

        On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:

        > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
        > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
        > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
        >
        > Gerald
      • Kathleen Whalen
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
          Ah, now I understand a little better. What about the sheepskin gloves, with
          the sheepswool inside them? Or the mitts made for fines polishing? Lanolin
          is available bottled as an oil if that's the major factor.

          Graham Moss
          Incline Press
          36 Bow Street
          Oldham OL1 1SJ England
          http://www.inclinepress.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
            Graham

            Well, initially I did think about this, just because I thought the
            shape useful. But they don't tell you what the brushes are made of. I
            did learn that camel hair brushes are made from squirrel tail but no
            further information on the chemical part of all of this. Best sources
            seem to be those old 19th c. recipe books. Have a bunch of them.
            Sheeps wool.

            Gerald

            > You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply
            make-up
            > (cosmetic powders).
            >

            > Graham Moss
            > Incline Press
            > 36 Bow Street
            > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            > http://www.inclinepress.com
            >

            > On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:
            >
            > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
            > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
            > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
            > >
            > > Gerald
          • Regis Graden
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
              Gerald,

              Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I didn't know. I learn something new every day!

              Thanks,

              Regis

              Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
              Regis

              Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
              at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
              this old body. Thanks for the concern though.

              My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
              and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
              contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
              transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
              manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
              having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
              corrode the spirit"!

              Gerald

              > Gerald,
              >
              > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
              fine. Use a breathing mask.

              > Regis
              >
              > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
              > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
              > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
              > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.

              Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

            • John Cornelisse
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                Hi All,

                The attraction of the dust-particles is an just a electrical phenomomen...

                Static electricity...

                The cotton wool I normally use works fine, the cotton fibres
                have some electric charge, and this attracts the metal.

                The lanoline in wool can be taken away very easely, just wash it it a few times
                with some soft soap...

                After this, I think you can use sheep wool too.

                Some weeks ago, I found some other colors: a very dark green, and a dark
                red powder
                in an old printshop, the owner has passed away some years ago...

                I will try that powders some time for sure.

                Best wishes

                John Cornelisse

                At 21:01 13-08-2005, you wrote:
                >Gerald,
                >
                >Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I
                >didn't know. I learn something new every day!
                >
                >Thanks,
                >
                >Regis
                >
                >Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                >Regis
                >
                >Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
                >at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
                >this old body. Thanks for the concern though.
                >
                >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                >transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
                >manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
                >having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
                >corrode the spirit"!
                >
                >Gerald
                >

                > > Gerald,
                > >
                > > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
                >fine. Use a breathing mask.
                > >
                > > Regis
                > >
                > > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
                > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
                > >
                > > Gerald

                >Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

                >cover design
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=laPdR8UAMpa17R--2Fdr2A>Design
                >book
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=CdTLystWBVuQPIY4oi17jA>Graphic
                >design book
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+printing&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=AOhpQijhwiTaeNCAE5ywGA>Book
                >printing
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Printing+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=bWzqP91Pt8MNWny1uI5y2Q>Printing
                >book

                > *
                >

                >----------

                Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

                Vaartstraat 23
                4553 AN Philippine
                (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
                The Netherlands

                + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
                email: enkidu@...

                So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
                he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

              • cutvelvet@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                  >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                  >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                  >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                  >transfer) and prevents accumulation.

                  If we're talking about the same bronzing powder--mine is in a small
                  metal can from the 40s or 50s--I'm wondering how easily you've been
                  able to wipe away the excess. Mine seems to cling almost as
                  ferociously to the rest of the paper as to the fresh ink. I've heard
                  the process works much better on a smooth or even slick paper, but
                  that's not what I want to print on. Have you used this powder on
                  mildly textured art papers, like Arches cover or Somerset velvet? Any
                  suggestions would be appreciated. I've even resorted to making a
                  template within which to brush on the powder, in order to minimize
                  the amount that wanders.

                  Thanks--

                  Lisa
                  Littoral Press
                • Fritz Klinke
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                    Lisa brings up an excellent point in this discussion about type of paper.
                    All of the bronzing work I was involved with on a commercial basis when I
                    worked in San Francisco (1960s) was done on coated paper, and primarily for
                    food can labels. These were typically the large sheets off our 54x77 inch
                    Miehle 4 and 5 color units (offset) and the printed sheets when dry were run
                    through the bronzing machine that laid down an image of varnish in the
                    appropriate location and the sheet then passed immediately into the bronzing
                    unit of the machine. The sheet then went through a vacuuming unit to remove
                    the excess powder, then through a 30 foot long drying unit. But what a messy
                    operation--that part of the plant was permanently gold colored, and I don't
                    think it was a healthy place to be. Gold on tuna fish labels, etc., was a
                    nice touch, but one we have all gotten used to not seeing on the grocery
                    shelves at least for labels printed in this country.

                    Coarse fibered stock, and that will be most uncoated sheets other than
                    smooth finish book, index, and bond papers, will trap the bronze powder.

                    Fritz

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                      Yes, thus the reason for the inquiry regarding sheeps wool. I've read
                      every bit of historical writing on the subject that I could get my
                      hands on. Specifically in regard to bronzing done on rough surfaced
                      (dampened) handmade paper. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it
                      now. "The old guys" did have solutions for the various problems
                      associated with bronzing but they do involve certain techniques and
                      specific materials. But they didn't have one thing that we do, an itty
                      bitty battery powered vacuum cleaner (slightly modifed). Some old,
                      some new, looks like I might have a pretty good handle on this.

                      Thanks to all who replied (and supplied). When all is said and done
                      I'll file my report :—)

                      Gerald