Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Sheeps Wool Brush For Bronzing

  • Farida Bee
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
      Gerald,

      Conservation Support Systems offers the Classic Hake
      Brush with the "finest, softest, select sheep hair."
      Our conservator has a few on hand. I think CSS is
      based in Santa Barbara.

      http://www.silcom.com/~css/

      This may be a crazy idea, but if you wanted to make
      your own sheep's wool pad, the LA County Fair is
      coming up next month; you could take home freshly
      sheared wool....

      Farida

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
        Farida

        Crazy ideas are the best. I doubt I have a month :—) but thank you so
        much.

        Gerald

        > Gerald,
        >
        > Conservation Support Systems offers the Classic Hake
        > Brush with the "finest, softest, select sheep hair."
        > Our conservator has a few on hand. I think CSS is
        > based in Santa Barbara.
        >
        > http://www.silcom.com/~css/
        >
        > This may be a crazy idea, but if you wanted to make
        > your own sheep's wool pad, the LA County Fair is
        > coming up next month; you could take home freshly
        > sheared wool....
        >
        > Farida
        >

        > > My understanding of the process is that a pad is
        > > best for application
        > > and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps
        > > wool apparently
        > > contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder
        > > (thus facilitating
        > > transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I
        > > have found, no one
        > > manufacturers anything like this anymore. And,
        > > besides, I really like
        > > having the most appropriate tool; for as you know,
        > > "inferior tools
        > > corrode the spirit"!
        > >
        > > Gerald

      • Kathleen Whalen
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
          You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply make-up
          (cosmetic powders).

          Graham Moss
          Incline Press
          36 Bow Street
          Oldham OL1 1SJ England
          http://www.inclinepress.com

          On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:

          > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
          > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
          > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
          >
          > Gerald
        • Kathleen Whalen
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
            Ah, now I understand a little better. What about the sheepskin gloves, with
            the sheepswool inside them? Or the mitts made for fines polishing? Lanolin
            is available bottled as an oil if that's the major factor.

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            http://www.inclinepress.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
              Graham

              Well, initially I did think about this, just because I thought the
              shape useful. But they don't tell you what the brushes are made of. I
              did learn that camel hair brushes are made from squirrel tail but no
              further information on the chemical part of all of this. Best sources
              seem to be those old 19th c. recipe books. Have a bunch of them.
              Sheeps wool.

              Gerald

              > You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply
              make-up
              > (cosmetic powders).
              >

              > Graham Moss
              > Incline Press
              > 36 Bow Street
              > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
              > http://www.inclinepress.com
              >

              > On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:
              >
              > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
              > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
              > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
              > >
              > > Gerald
            • Regis Graden
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                Gerald,

                Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I didn't know. I learn something new every day!

                Thanks,

                Regis

                Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                Regis

                Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
                at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
                this old body. Thanks for the concern though.

                My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
                manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
                having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
                corrode the spirit"!

                Gerald

                > Gerald,
                >
                > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
                fine. Use a breathing mask.

                > Regis
                >
                > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
                > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.

                Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

              • John Cornelisse
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                  Hi All,

                  The attraction of the dust-particles is an just a electrical phenomomen...

                  Static electricity...

                  The cotton wool I normally use works fine, the cotton fibres
                  have some electric charge, and this attracts the metal.

                  The lanoline in wool can be taken away very easely, just wash it it a few times
                  with some soft soap...

                  After this, I think you can use sheep wool too.

                  Some weeks ago, I found some other colors: a very dark green, and a dark
                  red powder
                  in an old printshop, the owner has passed away some years ago...

                  I will try that powders some time for sure.

                  Best wishes

                  John Cornelisse

                  At 21:01 13-08-2005, you wrote:
                  >Gerald,
                  >
                  >Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I
                  >didn't know. I learn something new every day!
                  >
                  >Thanks,
                  >
                  >Regis
                  >
                  >Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                  >Regis
                  >
                  >Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
                  >at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
                  >this old body. Thanks for the concern though.
                  >
                  >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                  >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                  >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                  >transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
                  >manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
                  >having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
                  >corrode the spirit"!
                  >
                  >Gerald
                  >

                  > > Gerald,
                  > >
                  > > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
                  >fine. Use a breathing mask.
                  > >
                  > > Regis
                  > >
                  > > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
                  > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                  > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                  > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
                  > >
                  > > Gerald

                  >Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

                  >cover design
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=laPdR8UAMpa17R--2Fdr2A>Design
                  >book
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=CdTLystWBVuQPIY4oi17jA>Graphic
                  >design book
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+printing&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=AOhpQijhwiTaeNCAE5ywGA>Book
                  >printing
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Printing+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=bWzqP91Pt8MNWny1uI5y2Q>Printing
                  >book

                  > *
                  >

                  >----------

                  Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

                  Vaartstraat 23
                  4553 AN Philippine
                  (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
                  The Netherlands

                  + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
                  email: enkidu@...

                  So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
                  he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

                • cutvelvet@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                    >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                    >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                    >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                    >transfer) and prevents accumulation.

                    If we're talking about the same bronzing powder--mine is in a small
                    metal can from the 40s or 50s--I'm wondering how easily you've been
                    able to wipe away the excess. Mine seems to cling almost as
                    ferociously to the rest of the paper as to the fresh ink. I've heard
                    the process works much better on a smooth or even slick paper, but
                    that's not what I want to print on. Have you used this powder on
                    mildly textured art papers, like Arches cover or Somerset velvet? Any
                    suggestions would be appreciated. I've even resorted to making a
                    template within which to brush on the powder, in order to minimize
                    the amount that wanders.

                    Thanks--

                    Lisa
                    Littoral Press
                  • Fritz Klinke
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                      Lisa brings up an excellent point in this discussion about type of paper.
                      All of the bronzing work I was involved with on a commercial basis when I
                      worked in San Francisco (1960s) was done on coated paper, and primarily for
                      food can labels. These were typically the large sheets off our 54x77 inch
                      Miehle 4 and 5 color units (offset) and the printed sheets when dry were run
                      through the bronzing machine that laid down an image of varnish in the
                      appropriate location and the sheet then passed immediately into the bronzing
                      unit of the machine. The sheet then went through a vacuuming unit to remove
                      the excess powder, then through a 30 foot long drying unit. But what a messy
                      operation--that part of the plant was permanently gold colored, and I don't
                      think it was a healthy place to be. Gold on tuna fish labels, etc., was a
                      nice touch, but one we have all gotten used to not seeing on the grocery
                      shelves at least for labels printed in this country.

                      Coarse fibered stock, and that will be most uncoated sheets other than
                      smooth finish book, index, and bond papers, will trap the bronze powder.

                      Fritz

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                        Yes, thus the reason for the inquiry regarding sheeps wool. I've read
                        every bit of historical writing on the subject that I could get my
                        hands on. Specifically in regard to bronzing done on rough surfaced
                        (dampened) handmade paper. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it
                        now. "The old guys" did have solutions for the various problems
                        associated with bronzing but they do involve certain techniques and
                        specific materials. But they didn't have one thing that we do, an itty
                        bitty battery powered vacuum cleaner (slightly modifed). Some old,
                        some new, looks like I might have a pretty good handle on this.

                        Thanks to all who replied (and supplied). When all is said and done
                        I'll file my report :—)

                        Gerald