Re: Sheeps Wool Brush For Bronzing

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
      Regis

      Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
      at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
      this old body. Thanks for the concern though.

      My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
      and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
      contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
      transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
      manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
      having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
      corrode the spirit"!

      Gerald

      > Gerald,
      >
      > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
      fine. Use a breathing mask.

      > Regis
      >
      > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
      > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
      > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
      > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
      >
      > Gerald

    • Farida Bee
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
        Gerald,

        Conservation Support Systems offers the Classic Hake
        Brush with the "finest, softest, select sheep hair."
        Our conservator has a few on hand. I think CSS is
        based in Santa Barbara.

        http://www.silcom.com/~css/

        This may be a crazy idea, but if you wanted to make
        your own sheep's wool pad, the LA County Fair is
        coming up next month; you could take home freshly
        sheared wool....

        Farida

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
          Farida

          Crazy ideas are the best. I doubt I have a month :—) but thank you so
          much.

          Gerald

          > Gerald,
          >
          > Conservation Support Systems offers the Classic Hake
          > Brush with the "finest, softest, select sheep hair."
          > Our conservator has a few on hand. I think CSS is
          > based in Santa Barbara.
          >
          > http://www.silcom.com/~css/
          >
          > This may be a crazy idea, but if you wanted to make
          > your own sheep's wool pad, the LA County Fair is
          > coming up next month; you could take home freshly
          > sheared wool....
          >
          > Farida
          >

          > > My understanding of the process is that a pad is
          > > best for application
          > > and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps
          > > wool apparently
          > > contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder
          > > (thus facilitating
          > > transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I
          > > have found, no one
          > > manufacturers anything like this anymore. And,
          > > besides, I really like
          > > having the most appropriate tool; for as you know,
          > > "inferior tools
          > > corrode the spirit"!
          > >
          > > Gerald

        • Kathleen Whalen
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
            You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply make-up
            (cosmetic powders).

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            http://www.inclinepress.com

            On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:

            > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
            > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
            > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
            >
            > Gerald
          • Kathleen Whalen
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
              Ah, now I understand a little better. What about the sheepskin gloves, with
              the sheepswool inside them? Or the mitts made for fines polishing? Lanolin
              is available bottled as an oil if that's the major factor.

              Graham Moss
              Incline Press
              36 Bow Street
              Oldham OL1 1SJ England
              http://www.inclinepress.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                Graham

                Well, initially I did think about this, just because I thought the
                shape useful. But they don't tell you what the brushes are made of. I
                did learn that camel hair brushes are made from squirrel tail but no
                further information on the chemical part of all of this. Best sources
                seem to be those old 19th c. recipe books. Have a bunch of them.
                Sheeps wool.

                Gerald

                > You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply
                make-up
                > (cosmetic powders).
                >

                > Graham Moss
                > Incline Press
                > 36 Bow Street
                > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                > http://www.inclinepress.com
                >

                > On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:
                >
                > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
                > >
                > > Gerald
              • Regis Graden
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                  Gerald,

                  Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I didn't know. I learn something new every day!

                  Thanks,

                  Regis

                  Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                  Regis

                  Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
                  at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
                  this old body. Thanks for the concern though.

                  My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                  and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                  contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                  transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
                  manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
                  having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
                  corrode the spirit"!

                  Gerald

                  > Gerald,
                  >
                  > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
                  fine. Use a breathing mask.

                  > Regis
                  >
                  > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
                  > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                  > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                  > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.

                  Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

                • John Cornelisse
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                    Hi All,

                    The attraction of the dust-particles is an just a electrical phenomomen...

                    Static electricity...

                    The cotton wool I normally use works fine, the cotton fibres
                    have some electric charge, and this attracts the metal.

                    The lanoline in wool can be taken away very easely, just wash it it a few times
                    with some soft soap...

                    After this, I think you can use sheep wool too.

                    Some weeks ago, I found some other colors: a very dark green, and a dark
                    red powder
                    in an old printshop, the owner has passed away some years ago...

                    I will try that powders some time for sure.

                    Best wishes

                    John Cornelisse

                    At 21:01 13-08-2005, you wrote:
                    >Gerald,
                    >
                    >Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I
                    >didn't know. I learn something new every day!
                    >
                    >Thanks,
                    >
                    >Regis
                    >
                    >Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                    >Regis
                    >
                    >Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
                    >at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
                    >this old body. Thanks for the concern though.
                    >
                    >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                    >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                    >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                    >transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
                    >manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
                    >having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
                    >corrode the spirit"!
                    >
                    >Gerald
                    >

                    > > Gerald,
                    > >
                    > > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
                    >fine. Use a breathing mask.
                    > >
                    > > Regis
                    > >
                    > > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
                    > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                    > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                    > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
                    > >
                    > > Gerald

                    >Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

                    >cover design
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=laPdR8UAMpa17R--2Fdr2A>Design
                    >book
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=CdTLystWBVuQPIY4oi17jA>Graphic
                    >design book
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+printing&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=AOhpQijhwiTaeNCAE5ywGA>Book
                    >printing
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Printing+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=bWzqP91Pt8MNWny1uI5y2Q>Printing
                    >book

                    > *
                    >

                    >----------

                    Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

                    Vaartstraat 23
                    4553 AN Philippine
                    (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
                    The Netherlands

                    + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
                    email: enkidu@...

                    So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
                    he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

                  • cutvelvet@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                      >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                      >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                      >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                      >transfer) and prevents accumulation.

                      If we're talking about the same bronzing powder--mine is in a small
                      metal can from the 40s or 50s--I'm wondering how easily you've been
                      able to wipe away the excess. Mine seems to cling almost as
                      ferociously to the rest of the paper as to the fresh ink. I've heard
                      the process works much better on a smooth or even slick paper, but
                      that's not what I want to print on. Have you used this powder on
                      mildly textured art papers, like Arches cover or Somerset velvet? Any
                      suggestions would be appreciated. I've even resorted to making a
                      template within which to brush on the powder, in order to minimize
                      the amount that wanders.

                      Thanks--

                      Lisa
                      Littoral Press
                    • Fritz Klinke
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                        Lisa brings up an excellent point in this discussion about type of paper.
                        All of the bronzing work I was involved with on a commercial basis when I
                        worked in San Francisco (1960s) was done on coated paper, and primarily for
                        food can labels. These were typically the large sheets off our 54x77 inch
                        Miehle 4 and 5 color units (offset) and the printed sheets when dry were run
                        through the bronzing machine that laid down an image of varnish in the
                        appropriate location and the sheet then passed immediately into the bronzing
                        unit of the machine. The sheet then went through a vacuuming unit to remove
                        the excess powder, then through a 30 foot long drying unit. But what a messy
                        operation--that part of the plant was permanently gold colored, and I don't
                        think it was a healthy place to be. Gold on tuna fish labels, etc., was a
                        nice touch, but one we have all gotten used to not seeing on the grocery
                        shelves at least for labels printed in this country.

                        Coarse fibered stock, and that will be most uncoated sheets other than
                        smooth finish book, index, and bond papers, will trap the bronze powder.

                        Fritz

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                          Yes, thus the reason for the inquiry regarding sheeps wool. I've read
                          every bit of historical writing on the subject that I could get my
                          hands on. Specifically in regard to bronzing done on rough surfaced
                          (dampened) handmade paper. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it
                          now. "The old guys" did have solutions for the various problems
                          associated with bronzing but they do involve certain techniques and
                          specific materials. But they didn't have one thing that we do, an itty
                          bitty battery powered vacuum cleaner (slightly modifed). Some old,
                          some new, looks like I might have a pretty good handle on this.

                          Thanks to all who replied (and supplied). When all is said and done
                          I'll file my report :—)

                          Gerald