Sheeps Wool Brush For Bronzing

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
      In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
      bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
      brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.

      Gerald
    • Regis Graden
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
        Gerald,

        I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works fine. Use a breathing mask.

        Regis

        Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
        In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
        bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
        brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.

        Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
          Regis

          Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
          at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
          this old body. Thanks for the concern though.

          My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
          and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
          contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
          transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
          manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
          having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
          corrode the spirit"!

          Gerald

          > Gerald,
          >
          > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
          fine. Use a breathing mask.

          > Regis
          >
          > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
          > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
          > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
          > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
          >
          > Gerald

        • Farida Bee
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
            Gerald,

            Conservation Support Systems offers the Classic Hake
            Brush with the "finest, softest, select sheep hair."
            Our conservator has a few on hand. I think CSS is
            based in Santa Barbara.

            http://www.silcom.com/~css/

            This may be a crazy idea, but if you wanted to make
            your own sheep's wool pad, the LA County Fair is
            coming up next month; you could take home freshly
            sheared wool....

            Farida

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 12, 2005
              Farida

              Crazy ideas are the best. I doubt I have a month :—) but thank you so
              much.

              Gerald

              > Gerald,
              >
              > Conservation Support Systems offers the Classic Hake
              > Brush with the "finest, softest, select sheep hair."
              > Our conservator has a few on hand. I think CSS is
              > based in Santa Barbara.
              >
              > http://www.silcom.com/~css/
              >
              > This may be a crazy idea, but if you wanted to make
              > your own sheep's wool pad, the LA County Fair is
              > coming up next month; you could take home freshly
              > sheared wool....
              >
              > Farida
              >

              > > My understanding of the process is that a pad is
              > > best for application
              > > and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps
              > > wool apparently
              > > contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder
              > > (thus facilitating
              > > transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I
              > > have found, no one
              > > manufacturers anything like this anymore. And,
              > > besides, I really like
              > > having the most appropriate tool; for as you know,
              > > "inferior tools
              > > corrode the spirit"!
              > >
              > > Gerald

            • Kathleen Whalen
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply make-up
                (cosmetic powders).

                Graham Moss
                Incline Press
                36 Bow Street
                Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                http://www.inclinepress.com

                On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:

                > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
                >
                > Gerald
              • Kathleen Whalen
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                  Ah, now I understand a little better. What about the sheepskin gloves, with
                  the sheepswool inside them? Or the mitts made for fines polishing? Lanolin
                  is available bottled as an oil if that's the major factor.

                  Graham Moss
                  Incline Press
                  36 Bow Street
                  Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                  http://www.inclinepress.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                    Graham

                    Well, initially I did think about this, just because I thought the
                    shape useful. But they don't tell you what the brushes are made of. I
                    did learn that camel hair brushes are made from squirrel tail but no
                    further information on the chemical part of all of this. Best sources
                    seem to be those old 19th c. recipe books. Have a bunch of them.
                    Sheeps wool.

                    Gerald

                    > You might investigate the range of brushes that are sold to apply
                    make-up
                    > (cosmetic powders).
                    >

                    > Graham Moss
                    > Incline Press
                    > 36 Bow Street
                    > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                    > http://www.inclinepress.com
                    >

                    > On 12/8/05 23:17, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                    > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                    > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
                    > >
                    > > Gerald
                  • Regis Graden
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                      Gerald,

                      Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I didn't know. I learn something new every day!

                      Thanks,

                      Regis

                      Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                      Regis

                      Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
                      at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
                      this old body. Thanks for the concern though.

                      My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                      and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                      contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                      transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
                      manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
                      having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
                      corrode the spirit"!

                      Gerald

                      > Gerald,
                      >
                      > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
                      fine. Use a breathing mask.

                      > Regis
                      >
                      > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
                      > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                      > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                      > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.

                      Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

                    • John Cornelisse
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
                        Hi All,

                        The attraction of the dust-particles is an just a electrical phenomomen...

                        Static electricity...

                        The cotton wool I normally use works fine, the cotton fibres
                        have some electric charge, and this attracts the metal.

                        The lanoline in wool can be taken away very easely, just wash it it a few times
                        with some soft soap...

                        After this, I think you can use sheep wool too.

                        Some weeks ago, I found some other colors: a very dark green, and a dark
                        red powder
                        in an old printshop, the owner has passed away some years ago...

                        I will try that powders some time for sure.

                        Best wishes

                        John Cornelisse

                        At 21:01 13-08-2005, you wrote:
                        >Gerald,
                        >
                        >Very interesting about the sheep's wool rejecting etc. Another thing I
                        >didn't know. I learn something new every day!
                        >
                        >Thanks,
                        >
                        >Regis
                        >
                        >Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                        >Regis
                        >
                        >Likely the breathing mask wouldn't do much good one way or the other
                        >at this late date. Far too many contaminants have been ingested by
                        >this old body. Thanks for the concern though.
                        >
                        >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                        >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                        >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                        >transfer) and prevents accumulation. As far as I have found, no one
                        >manufacturers anything like this anymore. And, besides, I really like
                        >having the most appropriate tool; for as you know, "inferior tools
                        >corrode the spirit"!
                        >
                        >Gerald
                        >

                        > > Gerald,
                        > >
                        > > I have used soft medium length brushes to bronze with. Always works
                        >fine. Use a breathing mask.
                        > >
                        > > Regis
                        > >
                        > > Gerald Lange <bieler@w...> wrote:
                        > > In the 1900 ATF specimen catalog sheeps wool pads were offered for
                        > > bronzing. Does anyone know of a current industry that might supply
                        > > brushes or pads made of sheeps wool? I've Goggled.
                        > >
                        > > Gerald

                        >Book cover design Design book Graphic design book Book printing Printing book

                        >cover design
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=laPdR8UAMpa17R--2Fdr2A>Design
                        >book
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Graphic+design+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=CdTLystWBVuQPIY4oi17jA>Graphic
                        >design book
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Book+printing&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=AOhpQijhwiTaeNCAE5ywGA>Book
                        >printing
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Printing+book&w1=Book+cover+design&w2=Design+book&w3=Graphic+design+book&w4=Book+printing&w5=Printing+book&c=5&s=103&.sig=bWzqP91Pt8MNWny1uI5y2Q>Printing
                        >book

                        > *
                        >

                        >----------

                        Letter-press & Typefounding, Monotype-composition

                        Vaartstraat 23
                        4553 AN Philippine
                        (Zeeuws Vlaanderen)
                        The Netherlands

                        + 31 - (0) 115 - 491184
                        email: enkidu@...

                        So she spoke to him and her word found favour,
                        he knew by instinct, he should seek a friend.

                      • cutvelvet@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                          >My understanding of the process is that a pad is best for application
                          >and a brush for wiping away the access. The sheeps wool apparently
                          >contains a lanolin that rejects the dusting powder (thus facilitating
                          >transfer) and prevents accumulation.

                          If we're talking about the same bronzing powder--mine is in a small
                          metal can from the 40s or 50s--I'm wondering how easily you've been
                          able to wipe away the excess. Mine seems to cling almost as
                          ferociously to the rest of the paper as to the fresh ink. I've heard
                          the process works much better on a smooth or even slick paper, but
                          that's not what I want to print on. Have you used this powder on
                          mildly textured art papers, like Arches cover or Somerset velvet? Any
                          suggestions would be appreciated. I've even resorted to making a
                          template within which to brush on the powder, in order to minimize
                          the amount that wanders.

                          Thanks--

                          Lisa
                          Littoral Press
                        • Fritz Klinke
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                            Lisa brings up an excellent point in this discussion about type of paper.
                            All of the bronzing work I was involved with on a commercial basis when I
                            worked in San Francisco (1960s) was done on coated paper, and primarily for
                            food can labels. These were typically the large sheets off our 54x77 inch
                            Miehle 4 and 5 color units (offset) and the printed sheets when dry were run
                            through the bronzing machine that laid down an image of varnish in the
                            appropriate location and the sheet then passed immediately into the bronzing
                            unit of the machine. The sheet then went through a vacuuming unit to remove
                            the excess powder, then through a 30 foot long drying unit. But what a messy
                            operation--that part of the plant was permanently gold colored, and I don't
                            think it was a healthy place to be. Gold on tuna fish labels, etc., was a
                            nice touch, but one we have all gotten used to not seeing on the grocery
                            shelves at least for labels printed in this country.

                            Coarse fibered stock, and that will be most uncoated sheets other than
                            smooth finish book, index, and bond papers, will trap the bronze powder.

                            Fritz

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
                              Yes, thus the reason for the inquiry regarding sheeps wool. I've read
                              every bit of historical writing on the subject that I could get my
                              hands on. Specifically in regard to bronzing done on rough surfaced
                              (dampened) handmade paper. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it
                              now. "The old guys" did have solutions for the various problems
                              associated with bronzing but they do involve certain techniques and
                              specific materials. But they didn't have one thing that we do, an itty
                              bitty battery powered vacuum cleaner (slightly modifed). Some old,
                              some new, looks like I might have a pretty good handle on this.

                              Thanks to all who replied (and supplied). When all is said and done
                              I'll file my report :—)

                              Gerald