Re: [PPLetterpress] Fine Press Poetry Books

  • Michael Barnes
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
      Dear Ludwig,

      I look forward to your letters to the group. Michael Andrews should not
      have commented as he did upon your or anybody else's style.

      Respectfully, Michael Barnes
      Vancouver

    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
        Sorry Michael, I do appreciate Ludwig's comments and easily agree with his
        perspective more than with yours. Thorough and precise writing is not, as you
        say, purple prose. You claim to be a poet and an editor. But then you say you
        don't find mush interest in the younger generations. That's a poetic turn of
        the language, even if only an editing problem!

        You say you do not reply to such queries as Gerald described. That's really
        no answer at all. Certainly it is not the answer of an editor. Why bother,
        given the percentages, what use is it any way, we're all gonna die. Your
        approach, in fact, is self-indulgent. You publish as an extension of your own
        internal need, not as an effort to bring other's work (edit, publish) to an
        audience (readers) outside your self. David Godine has described this effort as
        privatishing, not publishing -- don't really care about the public, about
        extending connections between authors and readers, just care about one's own
        expression/validity/poetry/artiness.

        Seems to me that's a private press, at best a noble stand against the decay
        of the world around, but at it's core just a vanity press, with very little
        effort made to interact with that world.

        I don't feel like a dinosaur. I don't print or publish for rare book
        collectors, to be preserved behind glass for a future whose language and concerns
        will regard everything today as quaint and archaic. I use my press, and
        whatever talents I might have for expression and design, to meddle with the possible
        present. Nice if some of this work is preserved and grows in value, but that
        is not the point of it. Art has to be handled and felt; it cannot live in a
        vault. The work of a publisher is to put writing in the hands of readers. That
        means fingerprints. Art is most vital when we have to live with it, carry it
        around with us and within us, use it up, wear it out in fact, so new art
        becomes necessary.

        What I do, what I have done many times, is invite this naive hopeless poet
        to come visit my printshop, to take a look at the process, to see my poetry
        library of thousands of other small poetic voices on the shelves, to see what a
        line of handset type looks like, what pied type and type with dented serifs
        looks like, which face, what size, what images, which paper, what color ink
        and how much, what possible kind of binding. And then we might talk about what
        he would do with the book if he had a small pile of them in hand, who is it
        for? how many does he really need? what will be done with them?

        So I might offer to print him a cover for his book, if he can find some way,
        inkjet or laser or offset or if he gets a press himself, to make the
        contents, then I'll show him how to sew and glue it together, and then we can talk
        about whether there is enough poetry and small press activity for a reading or
        a book party or a bookfair perhaps.

        What I'm saying is we survive and grow by opening rather than closing. Lead
        type and the old printing equipment wear out as it is used. But it is only by
        using it that it is preserved -- that someone sees how it is done and in
        fact knows enough about the process to take care of the valuable stuff when the
        garbage truck is on the corner. (This may be a dynamic process I experience
        more with handset type than with digital photopolymer work where we have given
        up the physical connection with the past -- another extended philosophical
        discussion I better let slide so I can get back to printing this morning...).

        Gerald, if you are pessimist about small press poetry publishing today, I'd
        suggest it is what you make it. I trade off some important part of my time
        and energy printing wedding invitations and doing job work, yes. But I hope to
        have in mind the connections to the world that informed the fine art of Ben
        Franklin, and Devinne, and Updike as they worked. It's a balancing act.

        I could name many presses and printer/editor/publishers who are carrying on
        in fine style. Maybe one? Consider Paul Hunter's Wood Works Press in Seattle
        (_www.woodworkspress.com_ (http://www.woodworkspress.com) ). He has handset
        and printed 25 books in recent years. Plus dozens of broadsides. He has worked
        to build an audience for contemporary writers, edited harshly with critical
        support, designed with type and image and format to hold the specific writing
        of each work. Every piece includes his remarkable woodblock prints and the
        personal endorsement of his letterpress efforts as it is offered out to
        possible readers. I am honored that he took my own uncertain book from me and
        crafted and gave it back so the poems are now out in the world apart from me yet
        available for me to use further. I doubt better editing and printing and
        publishing was ever more possible than now. We need it!

        Enough said.
        Best wishes, Tom

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom

      • Jason Dewinetz
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
          An interesting question and consideration brewing here. What I've read thus
          far seems to be a mixture of sincere respect for the craft, a frustration
          with the general public's lack-of-understanding of what's involved in fine
          press book work, and, on the other hand, a certain arrogance ("If the art
          dies with us it is the world's loss, not ours.") and ignorance ("...the
          small press is universally ignored. There really is no place for Gerald's
          inquisitive poet to go.") of the world beyond high-end letterpress work.

          I say this with no disrespect, as I have nothing but respect for fine press
          printers & publishers, but not only are there a variety of options for a
          writer such as the one who queried Gerald, but Michael's take on the
          struggling poet seems a bit too condescending:

          "...this is obviously a naive poet, discouraged by the exclusivity of the
          publishing cartel, and reaching for straws. Given the percentages, he is
          probably not a very good poet in the first place; but who knows what he may
          become in time. That is, if he actually is allowed to persist as a poet in
          the first place."

          It seems to me "allow" has nothing to do with it. Getting published isn't
          easy, nor should it be.

          Patrick Lane has a little speech he offers his first year creative writing
          students that goes something like this. "There are 35 of you in this class
          and you're all here because you think you know something, you think you have
          something to say, and I'm going to help you learn to say it well. But by
          next year there will be only 15 of you in this class. The year after, 10.
          And by fourth year there may be 4 or 5. Five years after you graduate, 2 of
          you may still be writing & publishing. In ten years, one may have developed
          a career as a writer. I tell you this not to discourage you, but to awaken
          you to the fact that being a writer is 10% talent and 90% dedication and
          perseverance."

          This, too, might be said of typography, printing & book making.

          As a writer & poet more than ten years from that first creative writing
          class in 1989 I now know the truth of Patrick's speech. Along the way I have
          also become a micro-press publisher and a freelance book designer &
          typographer. Through my press, Greenboathouse Books, I produce hand-made,
          limited edition chapbooks of poetry by writers both new and established. I
          use production methods from hand-set metal (rarely) to offset to digital
          laser (primarily). As Robert Bringhurst commented on the latter, such
          "fugitive media" raises serious issues around the longevity of toner on
          paper, but my reason for mentioning all of this is that there are always
          options, always alternatives, and with each comes consequences and
          compromise, neither of which are necessarily negatives.

          I can produce a well designed & constructed chapbook for a retail price of
          $15 - $30. These, of course, are not in league with anything from Jan &
          Krispen at Barbarian Press, yet my last 2 productions (by young,
          contemporary Canadian poets) have won Alcuin Awards for Excellence in Book
          Design here in Canada (in the Limited Editions category).

          There is, of course, no replacement for metal and good paper, for a
          well-bound book in boards. I've held a copy of Bringhurst's recent
          Parmenides book in my hands and there is a 1000 years of tradition gathered
          into those pages with a new Greek translation from a text written long
          before that period (http://www.peterkochprinters.com/show.php?bookid=3).
          I've sat in the British Library with 6 copies of Jenson's Eusebius spread
          out in front of me and basked in that beauty. But I've also held copies of
          Frog Hollow Press' book from Victoria (letterpress), copies of Fox Run
          Press' (letterpress) projects from the Sunshine Coast, and, I dare say,
          copies of Greenboathouse Books' projects that I edited, designed, printed &
          bound myself. And while the latter 3 certainly can't "compete" with the
          former, they hold up just fine in their own right, and along with these 3
          presses, there are dozens of others across Canada producing limited-run
          poetry titles.

          My point here is that in some cases the fine press world can often be as
          insulated as the giant publishers, each thinking they are opposing and
          exclusive champions of the book. Then there are the academic and small trade
          publishers that do their thing as well. And then there is self-publishing,
          and micro-press publishing, and then there is the unfortunate onslaught of
          printing trade books with toner, and then there are 'zines and pamphlets and
          a multitude of other underground and overground movements and printings
          going on all the time. And this is, of course, as it should be.

          I am a fan of beautiful books, and I would love to own more of them myself,
          but the trick with truly fine press work is that it is often not accessible
          to those who might appreciate it, with the exception of a rare few of course
          (those with the cash, those close friends of printers, those who run a press
          of their own and can trade copies back and forth).

          And so, Caryl at Frog Hollow, Anik at Fox Run, and many others like myself
          mix and match technologies old and new in order to create well made books
          that are not such huge financial risks in order to publish poets much like
          the one who went out on a limb to contact Gerald.

          Now, please don't get me wrong. Spelling "submit" wrong is not an
          encouraging detail, and there are, of course, far more horrible poets out
          there than good ones; the point may be that poet's query has sparked this
          conversation, an important one, and thus perhaps that poet deserves a brief
          note pointing them in more suitable directions: literary magazines &
          journals, which is where all new writers need to go to cut their teeth.

          Jason Dewinetz

          _______________________________________

          Jason Dewinetz
          Editor & Designer
          Greenboathouse Books

          www.greenboathouse.com

          --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:

          > Recently received under the subject heading "your
          > poetry books" was
          > the following email message:
          >
          > "What is BielerPress; and why are the books so
          > expensive? If you don't
          > mind me asking. Is it possible of me to sumit?"
          >
          > I'd be interested in knowing how other members who
          > produce fine press
          > poetry books would respond to a similar request. Or
          > even how those who
          > do not think about this.
          >

          > I should probably annotate this with a couple of
          > points:
          >
          > I have been involved with fine press production for
          > 30 years now and
          > have not issued a poetry book since the early 1990s.
          >

          > I should also suggest that the fine press field is
          > no longer what it
          > was in the earlier years of the last quarter of the
          > 20th century and
          > that my own concerns in this regard are confused, as
          > they were with
          > the influx of the artist's book phenomenon in the
          > mid 1980s, and again
          > with the deconstructionist approach to typography in
          > the early to mid
          > 1990s.
          >
          > The current letterpress bubble seems primarily
          > driven by invitational
          > card printing and most new entrants to the field are
          > not drawn to the
          > concerns of the fine press, nor the amateur press.
          >
          > Most of my current work is in supplemental
          > assistance (typography,
          > platemaking, etc) with invitational card printers
          > and I have a pretty
          > good sense of cost and charges and expenses and
          > labor involved. In
          > relation to book work, the labor and associated
          > costs for cardwork are
          > minimal but the final charges to the clients are
          > somewhat
          > out-of-sight. I'm quite aware the landscape has
          > changed significantly.
          > Neither the fine press book nor the artist book have
          > anywhere near the
          > draw they once had. Things change and are expected
          > to, and they will
          > again.
          >

          > So. . . basically I'm surprised anyone would even
          > inquire about what I
          > consider older generational activity.

          > would our lives be like without music, dance, and
          > theater?Donate or volunteer in the arts today at
          > Network for Good</a>.</font>

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          Book printing Printing book

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "PPLetterpress" on the web.

        • Raymond Nichols
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
            I take a group of design students to London each summer for five
            weeks. One of the wonderful things we did this summer was to visit
            the Oxford University Press and the museum there. The archivist
            brought out a number of interesting things to share with my students.

            One was a book published for one.

            It was for a woman that was color blind. The only combination she
            could read was gold on green. They produced her favorite book of the
            Bible, the Book of John.

            The book was printed in an edition of two. One for the Press and one
            for the woman. What a joy it must have been for her to hold it and
            read it.

            I think that is a wonderful example of books for some reason other
            than the masses.

            I'm not sure how much it cost but I would suspect you could measure
            its value in ways other than just money.

            Ray Nichols
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
              Thanks to all for the advice and for providing a very engaging thread.

              In regard to small press publishing and poetry I should perhaps
              mention that my interest in this is what got me involved with fine
              press printing in the first place, so I am quite familiar with the
              field and have indeed printed and published a number of broadsides,
              chapbooks, and books of poetry (both trade and limited editions). And
              the authors chosen did usually come to me "over the transom." In fact,
              I have published the first books of authors who are now fairly well
              known. I judged the poetry on how it appealed to me conceptually in
              regard to book work and I was quite willing to publish experimental
              work even though I knew it would provide little if any financial
              return. And while I don't publish poetry any longer I still do provide
              production work for publishers who do. As a matter of fact, I am
              currently printing a poetry chapbook for Gruffyground Press (UK).

              Nevertheless, as a publisher I think I can say that any author seeking
              publication does need to have an understanding of the business and
              does need to present themselves and their work in the best possible
              light. And as Jason suggests get busy working their way up the ranks.
              The fellow who posted to me revealed a bit more to me in those four
              sentences than perhaps would likely benefit him (including the typo).
              However, he does deserve a response. I assume this fellow happened
              upon my blog which lists a couple of the poetry books I did in the
              past. It also, however, lists my catalog. If I were appealing to a
              publisher I would want to know as much about the work and intentions
              of that publisher not only because I would be concerned about how my
              work would be published and distributed but also because I would not
              want to be wasting either his/her or my time.

              On the other hand, if every poet was a shrewd business person we'd
              likely not have much in the way of innovative or even interesting
              poetry out there. A short email post is not likely to engage a reply
              from most publishers (I almost deleted it as spam when I saw the
              subject header) but who knows, there are many paths. Maybe this fellow
              is sitting on the best manuscript ever written :—) So. . . I will make
              a reply to him and if there is no further response or if the response
              doesn't further engage me, case closed.

              Thanks all

              Gerald

            • Marcia Preston
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
                Please don't call me a "wealthy bourgeois bibliophile." There are wonderful
                books being produced today by private presses, and I buy many because I
                deeply appreciate the devoted effort which has gone into the making of them.
                I enjoy the texts, the illustrations and the beauty of their design and
                materials. I especially delight in sharing them with others and acquainting
                them with this kind of book, most of whom have not known of them. They do
                not sit on my shelves unused or unread.

                Instead of so much negativity, what can we all do to make these books better
                known.

                Marcia Preston

                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
                  Sorry also.

                  But I thought the question was about poetry, not fine
                  print. Poets & Writers has a data base of about 3
                  million poets, anyway a lot, and these are just the
                  poets that know something about the poetry universe
                  they inhabit.

                  There are tens of millions beyond that, almost all
                  unread except by friends and relatives. As a small
                  press we have printed hundreds of books, mostly
                  student work, and a lot else besides. As a poetry
                  journal we have sometimes received 3000 submissions in
                  a month.

                  Who could possible even respond individually to them
                  all, let alone invite them in for a personal
                  show-and-tell?

                  In point of fact, the small press is more easily
                  capable of putting the words into a greater number of
                  reader's hands. The Fine Press can't even touch their
                  distribution, but it appeals to a whole other
                  sensibility, the look, smell and feel of the book as
                  object in addition to the content. I do not see that
                  these two realms are particularly at odds.

                  My point was that this poet of whom Gerald spoke seems
                  rather on the naive end of the millions. And that it
                  is sad to deal with the tender dreams of so many
                  desperate poets.

                  As for the self-indulgent accusation, well, shame on
                  me but that is exactly what Whitman and Blake did.
                  Luckily David Godine was not their editor.

                  But the difference here is probably the different
                  perspectives between the poet who prints and the
                  publisher who prints. Just a matter of differing
                  priorities.

                  Actually I agree with your hands on method. I often
                  claimed that every poet should be made to handset his
                  own book for no other reason than that it leads to a
                  better poet, a better reviser of his own work, and a
                  deeper respect for the number of words, letter,lines,
                  etc., not to mention a little more awareness of the
                  book making process.

                  I am not sure I can buy it solely as a justification
                  of the expenses and agonies of the letterpress
                  publisher.

                  Incidentally I do not claim to be a poet and publisher
                  - I am a poet and publisher.

                  I am not sure what the following means:
                  > .... You claim to be a poet and an
                  > editor. But then you say you
                  > don't find mush interest in the younger generations.
                  > That's a poetic turn of
                  > the language, even if only an editing problem!

                  Whatever.

                  I do agree with Gerald's observation - there is simply
                  less interest in poetry today, especially in the
                  younger generation, period. It effects very serious
                  economic concerns relating to the health and well
                  being of a publisher well beyond the dreams of would
                  be poets. It simply seems to be a sad fact.

                  Also, editors with large volumes of submissions almost
                  never respond to a submission that shows a lack
                  understanding and research of the market and of the
                  submission process. Fine Print and private presses do
                  not feel this crush because they receive only a small
                  percentage of that volume of submissions, and are,
                  therefore more likely to take each and every one more
                  personally.

                  But in the poetry world beyond the private press the
                  fact is that it is a jungle out there.

                  It is very good indeed, when some aspiring poet runs
                  into someone such as yourself who can afford to take
                  the time to introduce him to the printing press.

                  hats off

                  michael

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Paul W. Romaine
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
                    I don't print poetry and I don't collect it, although I know some
                    printers of it, and some collectors of same. I'm a librarian and an
                    academic by training and a printer-wannabe, I suppose. I'm an
                    outsider, and in case anyone thinks I might have an iron in the fire,
                    let me also note that I'm not much interested in poetry after about
                    1800, although I'll grant space to Hopkins or Yeats. (And it's for
                    this reason that I refuse to answer a colleague who prints
                    contemporary poetry at a college press when he asks if I like
                    poetry--well... yes, but just not the last couple centuries or so.)
                    Some observations, with many generalizations that should be qualified
                    (with your help):

                    1. The poetry "crowd" (pardon that term) tends to publish in small
                    chapbooks, usually *inexpensive* and often printed offset, sometimes
                    using "print-on-demand" or laser or inkjet, but sometimes
                    letterpress. I see a lot of inexpensive booklets and printing--this
                    doesn't necessarily mean that it's poorly conceived or designed, but
                    there's an emphasis on keeping costs down. Some of this work is fine,
                    but some of it is not very attractive in terms of layout, materials,
                    etc. Sometimes this group wants to disseminate widely but more often,
                    it's a question of keeping poetry "affordable." That's admirable, but
                    if you're not already employed or rich, you'll usually find them
                    living in what I call "genteel poverty." One has to admire the fervor
                    of these idealists. I certainly do.

                    2. The more letterpress-ive poetry crowd may produce either
                    pamphlets, books or broadsides using letterpress (metal or
                    photopolymer). Aside from works from Merker, Duncan, or Hammady and
                    their disciples (isn't GL one?), I think that a number of these
                    publications are underpriced from the perspective of a living wage
                    for the producer, if printing is their main occupation. But let me
                    remind people that every one of these just-named printers had a home
                    in an academic institution which helped cover many of their base
                    costs. A lot of the centers for book arts will publish younger
                    poets--but remember, here, too, that these centers are also
                    subsidized, often through state granting agencies in the arts,
                    tax-exempt status, or through other monies and donations coming
                    through. (I don't see any problem with some these direct and indirect
                    subsidies for the arts.)

                    I see a lot of people who print privately coming out these
                    traditions, but without the subsidies or tax-exempt status which
                    their teachers had. Often, they run into the brick wall of what to do
                    about making a living, and then they have to find other jobs as
                    designers, job printers, wedding invitation printers, etc. A lot of
                    idealists here too, and often they'll make a run of it.

                    3. There is a "high-end" poetry printing crowd, produced in more
                    expensive editions, but these printers face a tension because many of
                    the buyers of poetry don't have the disposable income. (There is some
                    overlap with issues between this group and group #4.)

                    4. There is also a group which I'll call the "super-duper high-end"
                    poetry printing crowd: major typographer-poets who are able to
                    attract recognized artists and charge four or five figures for a book
                    in very limited edition that will be purchased by wealthy collectors
                    and institutions (and those institutions may include art museums
                    which have much bigger acquisitions budgets). Arion Press comes to mind.

                    This is fairly crude, but I think it gets at some tensions inherent
                    in any publication effort.

                    Ludwig: a small point on your 167 copies/LEC example. The Limited
                    Editions Club, Second series, were all printed in fairly large runs
                    of about 1600 copies for subscribers. Although I think some of her
                    evidence is problematic (being focused too heavily on printers like
                    John Henry Nash while tending to ignore US east coast printers who
                    might not fit her thesis), Megan Benton makes some interesting
                    arguments about bibliophilia (and marketed snobbery) of the early
                    20th C in America in _Beauty and the Book_. I think your argument
                    might benefit from skimming the book.

                    Ludwig (observation no.2, and more in the way of a joke): on laconic
                    vs. loquacious, there's always that apology, which is sometimes
                    ascribed to Paschal, and sometimes Montaigne (but it's probably
                    Cicero writing to Atticus): 'I would have written a *shorter*
                    response if I had had *more* time.' (And I would agree with your
                    comments on cultural decline linked to impoverished education and
                    lowered expectations--I may enjoy the kind of poetry that classicists
                    call "silver age," but it doesn't hold a lamp to the golden age verse.)

                    Booksnobs. I've met a lot of these, but they're not easy to
                    categorize. Yes, I've met a few who want pretty books for their room
                    ("interior decoration" types who buy leather books by the yard), but
                    I avoid these people--they're boring! Most of my favorite people ARE
                    book snobs. They love the physicality of books. They may not buy a
                    beautiful book for reading, but rather to savor a beautiful page or
                    binding, or to take pleasure in a wild and woolly wood engraving. It
                    gives them a certain joy, and you can see a hint of it when their
                    face lights up. One of my friends loves the ancients, and is always
                    looking for beautiful printings with which to enshrine their ideas.
                    Of course, as a high-priced attorney, he can afford this stuff. I
                    wish more of these people would have the... umm... cajones to
                    commission such work. It kills me that young starving printers might
                    be printing beautiful bilingual broadsides of Horace, and I'd love to
                    have my classics-loving lawyer friend see this stuff, but
                    unfortunately, he's currently hooked on Aldines. (sigh)

                    Booksnobs 2: I'll have to get the source, but there's an old line
                    about always buying three copies of a book: one to place on the
                    shelf, one to read, and one to lend to friends.

                    Scott: "Wide distribution is the job of the big publishers who
                    emphasize getting material out efficiently at a price that anyone can
                    afford." Yes, but... I think a lot of people in group #1 would point
                    out that we should not necessarily let the market decide which writer
                    gets wide distribution; also the big publishers are often quite
                    conservative and uncreative. My other response would be: for wide
                    distribution, there's always the web.

                    Gerald: bravo on your response to the poet-manque. Other comments
                    here remind me of famous rejection letters, but yours is the most
                    conscientious course.

                    Oh, and apologies: I would have written a shorter message if I'd had
                    more time. ;-)

                    Paul
                  • austin
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
                      Marcia Preston wrote:

                      > Please don't call me a "wealthy bourgeois bibliophile." There are
                      > wonderful
                      > books being produced today by private presses, and I buy many because I
                      > deeply appreciate the devoted effort which has gone into the making of
                      > them.
                      > I enjoy the texts, the illustrations and the beauty of their design and
                      > materials. I especially delight in sharing them with others and
                      > acquainting
                      > them with this kind of book, most of whom have not known of them. They do
                      > not sit on my shelves unused or unread.
                      >
                      > Instead of so much negativity, what can we all do to make these books
                      > better
                      > known.
                      >
                      > Marcia Preston

                      Being a bit of a Curmudgeon myself, I find much of this thread a bit
                      unnerving and undeserving of a
                      comment but the less sane side of me says "Ah to hell with it, jump in
                      there."

                      Books are to be appreciated. Whether read or kept under lock and key is
                      irrelevant. People who want to
                      collect books for whatever reason have that right. I have just finished
                      reading a small book on Thomas
                      Jefferson's collection. Very interesting man. He constructed a device to
                      keep 5 books open at one time.
                      His objective was to read different subjects at different times of the
                      day. When the Capital and the
                      congressional library was burned by the British, Jefferson's library
                      became the foundation of the current
                      Library of Congress. The political furor raised over the varied subject
                      matter in Jefferson's collection was
                      intense. Jefferson loved books on all subjects as a source of
                      information to improve his understanding.

                      The ability to put words on paper so easily has lessened the value of
                      books in the eyes of the mass public.
                      The last thing we need is more books. What we need is a greater
                      appreciation of books. The mass
                      production of anything lessens its value. This holds true for books or
                      mouse traps. When we produce a
                      book using the oldest known method of printing, we add value to that
                      book. An acquaintance from New
                      Hampshire looked at a couple of my miniature books and observed " I
                      would like to have these books to
                      sell in my Jewelry Store. I will need to purchase them to sell for
                      $10.00 each." My attempts to explain
                      that this was a handmade item - the type is handset, the pages are
                      printed by hand and the binding is done
                      by hand - failed to convince him of their value. These are the people
                      who are trying to market to the
                      world books which are never read but are supposed to look "neat" on the
                      shelf.

                      While I do not subscribe to the ramblings about the decline of the
                      younger generation. I do think we have
                      a tremendous responsibility to sell the value added portion of our work.
                      I do not subscribe to the notion
                      of mass marketing of anything including art. There needs to be a connect
                      between artist and buyer.
                      Otherwise we are dealing with the only common denominator known to
                      modern man - Price.

                      To Gerald's original question - to respond or not to respond. If we put
                      ourselves on so a high a plain
                      that we cannot recognize a request from an interested human, we just
                      lowered ourselves to the level of
                      the most inconsiderate of mankind. We may think of ourselves as being
                      something special when we talk
                      to ourselves at night, but we can't indicate that feeling when asked a
                      question by another human. On a
                      more practical point, we need to qualify the inquiry very early in the
                      communication and decide how to
                      proceed. I get inquiries all the time re: value of equipment,
                      electrotypes, and documents. Most are
                      answered in a couple emails or phone calls. There are a few which turn
                      into something more. I feel that if
                      anyone who puts their name on the web they owe the world the courtesy of
                      a response to all inquires.

                      To all who made it through this, I appreciate your tolerance of this
                      tirade from a mouthy curmudgeon.

                      --

                      Austin Jones
                      prints by AJ

                    • Scott Rubel
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 12, 2005
                        I agree with you on this. I was only taking issue with the blanket
                        statement that books are meant to be read widely.

                        It depends on the contents of the book, and its nature. I am one of
                        those who can continue to enjoy owning a book long after it is read,
                        and enjoy the opening of it again because it is finely bound, and
                        enjoy the smell of the un-yellowing pages again, and the feel of the
                        type in the pages, and the wood engravings. I cannot afford enough of
                        these, and my shelves are not mahogany, but I guess I'm a snob and I
                        shall keep the ones I have until I am old and I catch a young person
                        who is lost in the feel of a letterpress printed page.

                        Not all books are made for the same purpose. Some pottery is for
                        cradling flowers, and some for skeet shooting.

                        ---Scott Rubel

                        On Aug 12, 2005, at 7:27 PM, Paul W. Romaine wrote:

                        > Scott: "Wide distribution is the job of the big publishers who
                        > emphasize getting material out efficiently at a price that anyone can
                        > afford." Yes, but... I think a lot of people in group #1 would point
                        > out that we should not necessarily let the market decide which writer
                        > gets wide distribution; also the big publishers are often quite
                        > conservative and uncreative. My other response would be: for wide
                        > distribution, there's always the web.
                        >
                        > Paul

                      • Jason Dewinetz
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 13, 2005
                          Speaking from a few positions (reader, writer, publisher, designer, book
                          maker, book lover) this thread continues to bring up interesting issues for
                          me, and the one I'm struck by at the moment is the gap or split or perhaps
                          even binary of content and container. This thread began with a request from
                          an author to a printer/publisher, but seems to have d/evolved into a
                          trumpet-call to the arms of fine press production, as though such a call
                          were necessary.

                          Austin's post was filled with very interesting comments, and I mean that
                          with due respect:

                          "The ability to put words on paper so easily has lessened the value of
                          books in the eyes of the mass public. The last thing we need is more books.
                          What we need is a greater
                          appreciation of books. The mass production of anything lessens its value.
                          This holds true for books or mouse traps."

                          Each interesting statements, the more interesting when stated together. What
                          kind of value, I wonder, is being questioned here? Cost or investment or
                          sentiment or appreciation... I suppose what intrigues me right away is any
                          statement that makes claim to what "we need." Who is we? And do we really?
                          And while the "mass production of anything lessens its value" certainly
                          makes sense on both economical and aesthetic levels, it sets up a value
                          system based on rarity, on exclusivity, which is great for those who have.

                          "When we produce a book using the oldest known method of printing, we add
                          value to that book."

                          Again, practically (financially) speaking, this is obviously true. But
                          beyond that, the term "value" becomes a bit narrow. What I think you're
                          referring to here is not, per se, the contemporary and feeble idea of
                          "value," but an opportunity to appreciate fine craftsmanship. Yet how is
                          this more valuable than a teenager's experience of reading a Xerox-copied
                          'zine that speaks to their life at any given moment? I have a few comic
                          books I've kept since I was 12 that mean the world to me, even if they were
                          made of acid-rich newsprint and are disintegrating as we speak. I also, as
                          mentioned in my last, have the memory of sitting in the British Library
                          turning the pages of Jenson's books, printed in 1470 and somehow still
                          beautiful at my fingertips, that I will never forget. Both of these are
                          "valuable" experiences to me, but to most neither of these
                          experiences/objects have any value whatsoever.

                          I don't mean to rip apart Austin's post, it just raised interesting
                          considerations. What I wanted to say in my last post is simply that there is
                          no simple binary here between fine press work and mass production; there is
                          always a myriad of opportunities and options for anyone wanting to produce
                          something that communicates to others, and books are primarily about
                          communicating; that is, content conveyed through a given vessel. The goal of
                          producing a well designed and well made container for that content is of
                          course what we're all interested in doing, yet much of this thread seems to
                          be implying that the books we are discussing may as well be filled with
                          placeholder text.

                          I'm thinking here of Frederic Jameson's and Hayden White's writings on "the
                          content of form," arguing that the form of any writing speaks as clearly as
                          its content. At the moment, however, it seems the form of the content has
                          all but made irrelevant the content itself.

                          Jason
                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 13, 2005
                            Jason

                            I appreciate your well thought out posts but I'm not sure this is such
                            a black or white situation. I have mimeo publications I value more
                            highly than many of the fine press books I own. I doubt most folks
                            collect fine press books simply because they are fine press books, but
                            rather that they represent something that is different from the
                            mainstream. I like pretty much anything that is a bit off,
                            alternative, but not in the accepted thinking of that, so most of it
                            is worthless in a financial sense, but has incredible value in other
                            ways, and this does not have anything to do with craftsmanship nor the
                            empty filling of an accepted form.

                            Quite frankly I suspect everything that is being done, that is outside
                            of the mainstream, is primitivism, and this literally includes all of
                            contemporary letterpress, and god bless it.

                            Gerald

                          • Michael Andrews
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 13, 2005

                              I have to agree with you about value residing in
                              something other than financial worth. Like you, I have
                              strong leanings toward content, and like you, possess
                              a number of beat up old paperbacks that are far more
                              valuable to me than most other expensive books.

                              Isn't primitivism another word for dinosaur?

                              Jason

                              You have summed up the argument revolving around
                              rarity and exclusivity. The limited nature of labor
                              intensive had crafting is called snobbery by folks who
                              consider only the financial costs of mercenary
                              collecting and the limited ability to include a wide
                              spectrum of authors. But the very same paradigm
                              applies to those who are in love with the book as
                              object. This sets the debate in terms of a kind of
                              tension between rapacious collecting and the love of
                              the codex.

                              The book as object is more than simply the look, feel,
                              smell and design: it has much to do with the idea of
                              bookness.

                              The other tension is that between media and content;
                              book as sculpture and book as communication.

                              The idea of bookness seems to relate directly to your
                              comment
                              "to produce something that communicates to others, and
                              books are primarily about communicating;"

                              As far as I can tell the distinction between art and
                              craft is the compulsion to communicate a considered
                              world view. The idea of bookness as communication
                              implies that there is no great chasm between the book
                              as object, which represents the idea of communication,
                              and the book as a media of content; the actual act of
                              mind touching mind, the ecstatic revelation of whole
                              other worlds.

                              It is what makes us value the comic books we read in
                              1954. And it is what makes Gerald love anything a bit
                              off.

                              The idea that we do not need more books but do need a
                              greater appreciation of books simple states the
                              obvious. The more interesting question is how to
                              stimulate that greater appreciation.

                              And this has been asked innumerable times, often
                              responded to and sometimes acted upon. So far, there
                              has been very little success. Reading still declines
                              along with falling book sales.

                              But those who think that the decline in reading and
                              the disinterest of younger generations either does not
                              exist or is of no account have simply refused to face
                              the obvious facts.

                              It is simply too well known, too well documented to
                              ignore: the numerous studies on who reads books, the
                              declining sales in books; the shifting of editorial
                              and publishing activity from the commercial publisher
                              and the small press right down to Gerald's financial
                              restrictions on publishing poetry; the Internet;
                              television; etc., etc., etc..

                              I suspect that those who have not noticed this have
                              simply not been involved with the book world for a
                              long enough period of time, multiple decades at least,
                              to notice the shift, or perhaps they inhabit some
                              happy paradise comprised of a small number of
                              individuals who still do read or buy books. There are
                              a number of small sub-cultures that do read; but they
                              no longer represent the majority of the population and
                              more to the point have less and less impact on the
                              direction, quality and actions of the culture at
                              large.

                              There ought to be another word besides literacy that
                              could distinguish between the fact that we live in a
                              culture where the majority are literate in that they
                              can read and write; but we also live in a culture
                              where the majority do not read printed pages between
                              covers; they do not read books. Our culture is fast
                              becoming functionally illiterate regarding its own
                              roots, history, literature etc, the general dumbing
                              down of America is a well known phenomenon. Just
                              consider the fact that majority of wannabe poets have
                              never read Pope, Homer, Jeffers, Li Po, Blake,
                              Shakespeare, Archelocos, Tu Fu, Milton, Donne or even
                              Bukowski and Ted Kooser. Worse yet, consider that
                              evolution vs. creationism is even a matter of public
                              debate. Welcome to the middle ages. There is a serious
                              decline of mass intellectual horsepower, in spite of
                              cloistereed sub cultures and aging literary donosaurs.

                              I am with Gerald in lamenting this sad state of
                              affairs; sadder because of our apparent impotence to
                              reverse the situation. But I am also powerfully
                              grateful, almost reverential toward those of you who
                              still print and publish and bind and write and collect
                              and read and touch and smell the idea of bookness.

                              To echo Gerald, god bless it and god bless them.

                              In a sense, the last dinosaur was an unwilling
                              elitist. It wasn't a matter of intention, just a
                              matter of fact; a fact that is largely beside the
                              point.

                              Scott had a nice metaphor: "Not all books are made for
                              the same purpose. Some pottery is for cradling
                              flowers, and some for skeet shooting."

                              Thanks god someone is still molding the clay and
                              someone is still smelling the roses.

                              Michael

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • austin
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 13, 2005
                                Jason Dewinetz wrote:

                                > "The ability to put words on paper so easily has lessened the value of
                                > books in the eyes of the mass public. The last thing we need is more
                                > books.
                                > What we need is a greater
                                > appreciation of books. The mass production of anything lessens its value.
                                > This holds true for books or mouse traps."
                                >
                                > Each interesting statements, the more interesting when stated
                                > together. What
                                > kind of value, I wonder, is being questioned here? Cost or investment or
                                > sentiment or appreciation... I suppose what intrigues me right away is any
                                > statement that makes claim to what "we need." Who is we? And do we really?
                                > And while the "mass production of anything lessens its value" certainly
                                > makes sense on both economical and aesthetic levels, it sets up a value
                                > system based on rarity, on exclusivity, which is great for those who have.

                                Jason,

                                As the old saying goes, Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder, likewise
                                Value is in the eye of the Buyer. Value is what the buyer sees and
                                perceives in a potential purchase. A can of worms from Wal-Mart or a can
                                of worms from Target. What is the difference? Only what the buyer perceives.

                                A book printed and distributed by the millions is obviously seen
                                differently than a book produced in limited numbers and by less
                                mechanized methods. We as producers of books have an opportunity to
                                promote and sell this value added aspect of the product.

                                Value is not strictly a dollar amount. It is what we feel about
                                something. Be it material things or the more intangible - friends and
                                relationships.

                                The WE in "we need" is us - the people who are marketing products of the
                                printing press. We need - People who can appreciate the efforts of those
                                in history from Gutenberg to Goudy. People who recognize that without
                                the efforts of those who came before as well as those of us today who
                                are putting the same dedication and effort into preserving the printed
                                page the world would be a very boring place.

                                You obviously read my complete ramble. I appreciate and enjoy this type
                                of discourse. It is the exchange of values, priorities, and purpose that
                                maintains the edge.

                                tks

                                --

                                Austin Jones
                                prints by AJ

                              • Jason Dewinetz
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 13, 2005
                                  I woke this morning wondering if I'd perhaps shoved my foot down my throat
                                  with my last post, but am glad to see more discussion on the topic and
                                  appreciate that I've finally ventured into this forum rather than continuing
                                  to lurk in the background.

                                  I certainly didn't mean to privilege the "commercial" value of anything, I
                                  was instead speaking to the same comment Gerald made, that "this is not so
                                  much a black and white situation." Exactly the point. I've just finished
                                  hosting this year's Greenboathouse Reading Series and part of what I love
                                  about putting on this event is the enjoyment and appreciation I see on the
                                  faces of the audience as they browse the display of books during our
                                  intermissions. Many of these are our chapbooks that are out of print and
                                  unavailable, and thus these sorts of events are the only time I get to see
                                  people interacting with the books, picking them up, turning them over,
                                  running fingers across the cover stock, and even, indeed, taking a sniff.
                                  It's wonderful. Wonderful both because I half-broke my back craning to sew
                                  them together, and because of the pleasure others seems to take in the
                                  books.

                                  Michael wrote: "There are a number of small sub-cultures that do read; but
                                  they no longer represent the majority of the population and more to the
                                  point have less and less impact on the direction, quality and actions of the
                                  culture at large."

                                  And I suppose I have to acknowledge that I'm lodged in one of those
                                  sub-cultures, comprised of a small readership ranging in age from 15-80 who
                                  are avid readers of poetry and drawn to an attractively produced book both
                                  in terms of design (typography) and production (materials, binding, etc.). I
                                  forget, often, that I'm lucky to have found such a readership that allows me
                                  to keep Greenboathouse up and running. I forget, also, that most might
                                  expect such an enterprise to bring in some form of personal income. This has
                                  never been a goal for me. In fact, I've often thought attempting such a
                                  "business" would immediately remove the pleasure from the equation, so I'm
                                  quite happy to write-off my losses at the end of each year and continue
                                  sewing in the evenings for my own sense of enjoyment and calm.

                                  Perhaps that was my point. Not to promote this or that, or to impose an
                                  appreciation of anything on "the masses," but to appreciate the opportunity
                                  to do what I do. And I do.

                                  Perhaps the world is going to hell in an empty book-bag, perhaps that's sad,
                                  but I'm reluctant to think that I know what's good for the world, and often
                                  leery of others who think they might know.

                                  That said, and as said in the last few posts, from my subjective,
                                  self-important position, god bless each of you who make beautiful books. Yet
                                  there's no real need for such a blessing. The blessing is in the setting,
                                  and binding, and scoring, and sewing...

                                  Jason
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 13, 2005
                                    Michael

                                    Next time you are at the newstand buy yourself a copy of Raw Vision:
                                    the international journal of intuitive and visionary art [outsider
                                    art/art brut/self-taught art/contemporary folk art]. Primitivism ain't
                                    no dinosaur. One of the selectors at the Victoria and Albert Museum
                                    told me the entire post war book arts collection (which includes fine
                                    press books and artists books) is based on it.

                                    . . .

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 13, 2005
                                      Going way back to the front of the thread:

                                      I find this on Google, an article from Coda, the journal of Poets &
                                      Writers (Michael mentioned the org), "How to get out of the slush
                                      pile." This is for writers seeking to make connections with
                                      publishers. It's about twenty years old now and I had forgotten about
                                      it. They had interviewed me for a segment of it. I guess the fact that
                                      is still up and running might suggest it has some useful information?

                                      http://www.pw.org/mag/articles/a8206-1.htm

                                      Gerald
                                    • Sue Clancy
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 14, 2005
                                        Lurker lured from the shadows here - I just had to add my two cents.
                                        I'm another member of that sub-culture of readers that are mentioned
                                        below. In fact I even belong to the sub-culture of those with 'Book
                                        Lust'. Looking at a beautifully crafted book with leather and
                                        hand-marbled covers and hand-marbled endpages gives me a thrill! I want
                                        to hold (and own) them all! I love the feel, the look, the texture -
                                        and yes the smell - of a good handsewn book!
                                        While I enjoy some of the content of books out there in the
                                        mass-produced world, for me there is no comparison to a book with
                                        wonderful content AND beautiful craftsmanship! That is truely a book of
                                        beauty and something to enjoy!
                                        I think life has to be about more than fast food, cheap knock-offs and
                                        thrown together bric-a-brac.
                                        Where's the beauty? Where's the love? Where's the fireside, a
                                        well-made book and a good wine?
                                        That's where I'll be!
                                        Keep it up all ye makers of beauty!!!!!
                                        Sue Clancy

                                      • Kathleen Whalen
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 15, 2005
                                          Thanks Sue, and you too, Marcia. Despite all the conversation, I think that
                                          lots of us (ok, maybe just Graham and I) make books because we share your
                                          love of nice paper, the look of the ink on the paper (and on the press for
                                          that matter!), the thrill of seeing that if you just shift that title two
                                          ems to the left, drop the address or add another line to the border you've
                                          created a cracking title page, not to mention the sheer satisfaction of
                                          planning, printing, collating and binding a book -- A BOOK!

                                          Graham prints because he can't help himself, because he loves it. We think
                                          our books are good; we enjoy reading them; we enjoy the illustrations; we
                                          enjoy making them, and we delight in looking at them after they are made --
                                          that's why book fairs like the Oak Knoll Book Fest and the Oxford Fine Press
                                          Book Fair are such fun: we get to talk about the books we made last year, to
                                          tell you why we made the choices we did, and you get to talk to us about the
                                          books, what you like or don't like about them. And isn't it wonderful to see
                                          a room full of people making interesting books?

                                          And we like to think, like any Private Press worth its salt, that we print
                                          whatever takes our fancy. We print poetry -- two of my favourite Incline
                                          Press books are slim volumes of poetry, sometimes biography, sometimes a
                                          light-hearted something to accompany Burt Eastman's joyous linocuts. To
                                          some extent talking about privileging hand made books, or commercial vs
                                          noncommercial sub-cultures adds a layer of complication to what, for most of
                                          us, is amazingly simple: we like books, and the more bookish they are the
                                          better.

                                          Kathy Whalen
                                          Incline Press
                                          36 Bow Street
                                          Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                                          http://www.inclinepress.com
                                        • Sue Clancy
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 15, 2005
                                            Oh Yes! I totally understand printing because you can't help yourself!
                                            When I was a kid - about 4 or 5 - I made my first book. I'd gotten
                                            into my grandmothers ink pads and discovered 'printing'!!!! (Grandma
                                            was a librarian - and this was back in the day when librarians 'stamped'
                                            books as checked out/returned) I remember that I found some paper (and
                                            the walls) and 'printed' my hand over and over on lots of pages and made
                                            a book!
                                            Of course now I create block-prints and pen/brush & ink illustrations
                                            for my books and sew them by hand - and I make handmarbled papers - but
                                            I think I caught the 'book - bug' early and I never want to be
                                            cured!!!!!!!!!! <grin>
                                            Yes I agree - Commercial/non commercial - it hardly makes a difference
                                            when you love books. In some ways I'm of two minds. On the one hand I
                                            appreciate the 'commercial' book world for having put out books on every
                                            imaginable subject and made them widely/easily available and affordable.
                                            Yet on the other hand I feel that the book needs to be well crafted as I
                                            am frustrated by the commercial books that fall apart on the first
                                            reading because they weren't well made in the first place.
                                            So I have this question - at what point does the 'mass production' of
                                            books begin to be too ubiquitous - like McDonalds - and cease to have
                                            flavor or value. At what point does the hiqh quality craftmanship begin
                                            to be too exclusive and the content not available to a large enough
                                            audience?
                                            Or does it matter?
                                            Kathy and Graham - I'll have to look at your website!!! What
                                            fun!!!!!!!! Fun conversation too!
                                            Sue Clancy

                                          • lemontreepress@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 15, 2005
                                              In a message dated 8/15/2005 1:21:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                              kwhalen.incline@... writes:

                                              And we like to think, like any Private Press worth its salt, that we print
                                              whatever takes our fancy.

                                              Three cheers for Incline Press! The semantics and philosophical inquiries
                                              about" why" can drive one to the the shrink! Some of us just love books! It's
                                              enough for me!
                                              All best wishes...
                                              Nancy

                                            • alex brooks
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 9, 2006
                                                On Aug 12, 2005, at 10:27 PM, Paul W. Romaine wrote:

                                                > I see a lot of people who print privately coming out these
                                                > traditions, but without the subsidies or tax-exempt status which
                                                > their teachers had. Often, they run into the brick wall of what to do
                                                > about making a living, and then they have to find other jobs as
                                                > designers, job printers, wedding invitation printers, etc. A lot of
                                                > idealists here too, and often they'll make a run of it.

                                                That's me, idealist printer... up against a brick wall ...
                                                I found this thread from a few months back interesting, if a little
                                                academic. Here's a real world report: the record of my first
                                                publication.

                                                Not my first book, but my first publication, a short book of poems of a
                                                local author who just happened to be one of my professors when in
                                                school.

                                                specs: 12 poems, 24 page, 5 3/4" x 8 1/4", edition of 200. Hand set in
                                                Plantin type, on hand-made Velke Losiny paper. #1-50 bound in cloth
                                                (sewn boards binding) #50-150 bound in very nice paper wraps.

                                                money: I bought the paper at half off, an odd lot that the vendor
                                                wanted to be rid of. I provided all of the work myself: editing,
                                                typeset, illustration, printing, binding, marketing & promotions. So i
                                                didn't have to pay anyone else. I actually turned away help in order to
                                                insure that everything would be bound in a professional manner. The
                                                books came out to cost me (including incidentals and wastage) $6ea for
                                                paper & $12ea cloth. I sell them retail for $30 and $60. Usually I go
                                                through a book store or other seller so I actually receive $21 and $42
                                                respectively. That brings the profit to $3,750. I gave up very early on
                                                counting my hours in the project... probably close to 3,750. From start
                                                to finish (I still haven't finished all the cloth books) the project
                                                has taken about 2 years, mainly due to moving, buying a house, working
                                                at a restaurant, and printing wedding invitations.

                                                reception: I debuted the book at the Frankfort Book Fair in November.
                                                At this event writers sit at tables filling a convention center and
                                                sign their books. Most, almost all of the books were conventional trade
                                                books. There is one other letterpress printer in the area, very
                                                established, and he had his own table. I prepared only 40 paperbacks
                                                for this fair, expecting lax sales - it is, after all, a slim volume
                                                with a high price point. Instead, the author sold them all. I was
                                                amazed. I made enough money to buy x-mas presents. But the real reward
                                                was the joy on the author's face, and the joy she took introducing me
                                                as her publisher (also the confusion on peoples faces as they struggled
                                                to understand how this twenty some odd year old kid was a publisher of
                                                anything). I sold half of the books before x-mas, without any
                                                advertising or effort at all besides taking them around to book stores.
                                                I couldn't bind them fast enough. Interest has slowed since christmas,
                                                but I am positive that the edition will sell out.

                                                reflections: It is not the best work I have ever done, it is far from
                                                perfect. I doubt any critic could raise an error or flaw I haven't
                                                seen. But these are selfish concerns. Right now, there are one-hundred
                                                people reading poems that would not have been read. This is not an
                                                amateur poet, she was publishing poems before I was born, yet this book
                                                that I brought into the world brings her so much joy. And I have heard
                                                nothing but praise about the whole affair. In Kentucky, in my neck of
                                                the woods, it's about writers who could not live without writing,
                                                printers who could not live without printing, and readers who could not
                                                live without reading. It is a community. And surprisingly, not a single
                                                person has asked me why that book costs so much.

                                                interested in looking?
                                                http://www.press817.com/year%20in%20ky/year.html

                                                thanks,
                                                alex
                                                press eight seventeen
                                                lexington, kentucky
                                              • T Howard
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 9, 2006
                                                  What a fine success story, Alex. Thank you for sharing it. I'm learning printing specifically to someday make books, and thus preserve some things that should not be lost. Tales such as this inspire us all to continue the endeavor.

                                                  As to the need to follow different roads to make a living, many years ago I read Robert Frost's "Two Tramps in Mud-time", and adopted a portion of it as a personal creed:

                                                  "But yield who will to their separation,
                                                  My object in living is to unite
                                                  My avocation and my vocation
                                                  as my two eyes make one in sight.

                                                  "For only where love and need are one
                                                  And the Work is play for mortal stakes
                                                  Is the deed ever really done
                                                  For Heaven's and the Future's sakes."
                                                  Robert Frost

                                                  The result has been an ability to fully commit myself to whatever employment I've had, and miraculously, in doing so, opportunities opened within those staid business milieus that have allowed me to express and use all my talent, skill, art, and soul. It's the strangest thing. It really is all about the daily doing, casting the bread we have on the waters we see and being there when the moment comes.

                                                  The book is something to be proud of, and likely the first of many. Your wedding invitations are treasures that some will hand down as heirlooms. And every once in a while, a poem written on a napkin at a cafe table might be worth preserving.

                                                  Tina