Re: letterpress optimised digital type [was: Favourite fonts for Photopolymer pr

    Message 1 of 44 , Jul 23, 2005
      Ludwig

      I was looking back through the thread and was wondering about this and
      the source for your information.

      I've not heard that the trapping flower was used by dfTYPE.(?) The
      trapping on Rialto Pressa doesn't look like it would correspond in
      anyway to Hrant's development. I first saw the trapping flower some
      time after Rialto appeared. Also, Hrant had no prior experience with
      letterpress when he developed the flower as I recall. Given the
      variances of letterforms and the variables of the letterpress process,
      I can't imagine that the trapping procedure could be automated as
      such. Basically I'm suspect of any of these automated schemes. Now if
      things had never gotten out of hand in Mainz way back when and the
      one, two, three stroke of the textura still reigned supreme, well,
      maybe. But that ain't the way it turned out. :—)

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ludwig M. Solzen"

      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 26, 2005
        Ludwig

        I think I have found something...

        I had previously not read the final chapter, "The Colorado Project,"
        on Mandel's work in the Southall book. Mandel used the term "cutout"
        for ink trap and "finial" for thorn. The note regarding the problem of
        scale and size with PostScript is of interest as is his suggestion
        that these additions need to be sacrified during printing "leaving
        behind the real intended shape of the character." Southall does spend
        a bit more time with this.

        Gerald