Re: printing on cloth/felt

  • hollowpress
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
      I printed my last cover on Iris bookcloth using N.A. Graphics tube
      ink. While the large print was not too bad, the smaller print was
      fuzzy - readable, certainly, but not crisp. I wouldn't do it again.
      I can't imagine printing on felt.
      Caryl Peters

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Regis Graden
      <regispolyplates@y...> wrote:
      > Hot foil stamping is the best method to imprint most book covers,
      period. Silk screen comes in probably second.

      > Tough Tex or a good stiff, quality Oil Based ink can be
      successfully used on relatively smooth coated cloth covers with
      moderate impression.

      > In the 1950s I printed school dance card covers and invitations on
      a paper product called, I believe, Allure. It was fuzzy. If printed
      with the proper impression and the exact amount stiff ink it printed
      very nicely and was all the "rage" at the time.

      > These recommendations are all from my experience, no guarantees.
      >
      > Good Luck,
      >
      > Regis
      >
      > amy_svc <a@...> wrote:
      > Hi all~
      >
      > I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this topic,
      so
      > I'll start a new thread:
      >
      > Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt before, and
      if
      > so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?
      >
      > Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging around so
      that
      > I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.
      >
      > Many thanks~
      > Amy

      Service.