Valure paper stock

  • Regis Graden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2005
      By the way,

      That fuzzy stock was called Valure. And Matz paper Co. in Van Nuys, California carried it in stock until just a few years ago!

      Regis

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2005
        Regis

        I thought the paper was called Velour. (?)

        In the first course I took in typography/bookmaking we were required
        to produce a broadside and a chapbook by the end of the semester.
        Because of the nature of the text for the broadside my first attempt
        at printing was on a baby diaper. (!) That, of course, didn't work out
        at all. I used a black Velour for the cover of the chapbook and
        printed the title in silver metallic ink. That printed well, but at
        the time I had no idea of whether it would be a useful substrate or
        not. During the critique, the instructor, Walter Hamady, kept running
        his fingers over the cover and made the comment that it would have
        been interesting if I had glued black emery cloth to the back side of
        the cover. Allowing the sensations of touch to send contradictory
        messages to the brain. That I thought an extraordinary bit of insight
        into the potential of the book form.

        Gerald Lange
        http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
        http://TypeRoad.blogspot.com

        > By the way,
        >
        > That fuzzy stock was called Valure. And Matz paper Co. in Van Nuys,
        California carried it in stock until just a few years ago!

        > Regis
      • Regis Graden
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15, 2005
          Gerald,

          Thanks for the correction, memory is not up tp par...or was it ever?

          WOW, Walter Hamady!

          Regis