Re: printing on cloth/felt

  • Maurene Fritz/Yehuda Miklaf
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
      I recently had to print a cover picture on bookcloth for an edition I was
      binding. I had trouble getting the colour to cover well (it was white on
      black). Folllowing the advice of a seasoned printer I printed first with
      transparent white for a base, and then with opaque white. The results were
      good, but not good enough, so I had it screen printed.

      Yehuda Miklaf
    • Regis Graden
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
        Hot foil stamping is the best method to imprint most book covers, period. Silk screen comes in probably second.

        Tough Tex or a good stiff, quality Oil Based ink can be successfully used on relatively smooth coated cloth covers with moderate impression.

        In the 1950s I printed school dance card covers and invitations on a paper product called, I believe, Allure. It was fuzzy. If printed with the proper impression and the exact amount stiff ink it printed very nicely and was all the "rage" at the time.

        These recommendations are all from my experience, no guarantees.

        Good Luck,

        Regis

        amy_svc <a@...> wrote:
        Hi all~

        I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this topic, so
        I'll start a new thread:

        Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt before, and if
        so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?

        Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging around so that
        I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.

        Many thanks~
        Amy

      • hollowpress
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
          I printed my last cover on Iris bookcloth using N.A. Graphics tube
          ink. While the large print was not too bad, the smaller print was
          fuzzy - readable, certainly, but not crisp. I wouldn't do it again.
          I can't imagine printing on felt.
          Caryl Peters

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Regis Graden
          <regispolyplates@y...> wrote:
          > Hot foil stamping is the best method to imprint most book covers,
          period. Silk screen comes in probably second.

          > Tough Tex or a good stiff, quality Oil Based ink can be
          successfully used on relatively smooth coated cloth covers with
          moderate impression.

          > In the 1950s I printed school dance card covers and invitations on
          a paper product called, I believe, Allure. It was fuzzy. If printed
          with the proper impression and the exact amount stiff ink it printed
          very nicely and was all the "rage" at the time.

          > These recommendations are all from my experience, no guarantees.
          >
          > Good Luck,
          >
          > Regis
          >
          > amy_svc <a@...> wrote:
          > Hi all~
          >
          > I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this topic,
          so
          > I'll start a new thread:
          >
          > Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt before, and
          if
          > so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?
          >
          > Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging around so
          that
          > I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.
          >
          > Many thanks~
          > Amy

          Service.