Re: Favourite fonts for Photopolymer printing

  • Paul W Romaine
    Message 1 of 44 , Jul 15, 2005
      With TypeCon 2005 starting next week (not to mention summer vacations)
      there might be less response from typefounders right now.

      Some individual small typefoundries are interested in their typefaces
      being usable in photopolymer letterpress but they're the exception,
      and, let's face it, they need to be concerned about the 99.9% of their
      customers. Nevertheless I know Matthew Carter has expressed
      considerable interest in his more recent faces being usable in PPL;
      John Downer said that his new Paperback was tested on photopolymer. I
      know that P22 often uses its daces on photopolymer. But I would agree
      that these are not the rule.

      Best,
      Paul
      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 26, 2005
        Ludwig

        I think I have found something...

        I had previously not read the final chapter, "The Colorado Project,"
        on Mandel's work in the Southall book. Mandel used the term "cutout"
        for ink trap and "finial" for thorn. The note regarding the problem of
        scale and size with PostScript is of interest as is his suggestion
        that these additions need to be sacrified during printing "leaving
        behind the real intended shape of the character." Southall does spend
        a bit more time with this.

        Gerald