RE: [PPLetterpress] printing on cloth/felt

  • enkidu
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
      -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
      Van: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com namens amy_svc
      Verzonden: vr 15-7-2005 1:30
      Aan: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      CC:
      Onderwerp: [PPLetterpress] printing on cloth/felt
      Hi all~

      I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this topic, so
      I'll start a new thread:

      Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt before, and if
      so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?

      Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging around so that
      I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.

      Many thanks~
      Amy

      Amy,

      Stopcylinder presses were used printing flags, and all kind of fabrics.

      Wooden type is very suitable for that purpose too.
      Polymere plates will be useful too, I'm sure. I think, you can use
      all kinds of (offset)inks, you just need to experiment with it.

      Best wishes

      John Cornelisse
      Enkidu-Press Holland

      _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      _____
    • Maurene Fritz/Yehuda Miklaf
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
        I recently had to print a cover picture on bookcloth for an edition I was
        binding. I had trouble getting the colour to cover well (it was white on
        black). Folllowing the advice of a seasoned printer I printed first with
        transparent white for a base, and then with opaque white. The results were
        good, but not good enough, so I had it screen printed.

        Yehuda Miklaf
      • Regis Graden
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
          Hot foil stamping is the best method to imprint most book covers, period. Silk screen comes in probably second.

          Tough Tex or a good stiff, quality Oil Based ink can be successfully used on relatively smooth coated cloth covers with moderate impression.

          In the 1950s I printed school dance card covers and invitations on a paper product called, I believe, Allure. It was fuzzy. If printed with the proper impression and the exact amount stiff ink it printed very nicely and was all the "rage" at the time.

          These recommendations are all from my experience, no guarantees.

          Good Luck,

          Regis

          amy_svc <a@...> wrote:
          Hi all~

          I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this topic, so
          I'll start a new thread:

          Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt before, and if
          so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?

          Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging around so that
          I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.

          Many thanks~
          Amy

        • hollowpress
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
            I printed my last cover on Iris bookcloth using N.A. Graphics tube
            ink. While the large print was not too bad, the smaller print was
            fuzzy - readable, certainly, but not crisp. I wouldn't do it again.
            I can't imagine printing on felt.
            Caryl Peters

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Regis Graden
            <regispolyplates@y...> wrote:
            > Hot foil stamping is the best method to imprint most book covers,
            period. Silk screen comes in probably second.

            > Tough Tex or a good stiff, quality Oil Based ink can be
            successfully used on relatively smooth coated cloth covers with
            moderate impression.

            > In the 1950s I printed school dance card covers and invitations on
            a paper product called, I believe, Allure. It was fuzzy. If printed
            with the proper impression and the exact amount stiff ink it printed
            very nicely and was all the "rage" at the time.

            > These recommendations are all from my experience, no guarantees.
            >
            > Good Luck,
            >
            > Regis
            >
            > amy_svc <a@...> wrote:
            > Hi all~
            >
            > I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this topic,
            so
            > I'll start a new thread:
            >
            > Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt before, and
            if
            > so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?
            >
            > Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging around so
            that
            > I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.
            >
            > Many thanks~
            > Amy

            Service.