Re: [PPLetterpress] printing on cloth/felt

  • Silver MayKitten
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2005
      I would recommend using a good grade of t-shirt ink and print
      by screen process. I am assuming that you are making gaming
      table tops.

      MaiK├Ątzchen

      --- amy_svc <a@...> wrote:

      > Hi all~
      >
      > I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this
      > topic, so
      > I'll start a new thread:
      >
      > Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt
      > before, and if
      > so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?
      >
      > Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging
      > around so that
      > I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.
      >
      > Many thanks~
      > Amy

      Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

      From the book, Charge of the Goddess
      BY: Doreen Valiente
    • enkidu
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
        I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this topic, so
        I'll start a new thread:

        Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt before, and if
        so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?

        Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging around so that
        I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.

        Many thanks~
        Amy

        Amy,

        Stopcylinder presses were used printing flags, and all kind of fabrics.

        Wooden type is very suitable for that purpose too.
        Polymere plates will be useful too, I'm sure. I think, you can use
        all kinds of (offset)inks, you just need to experiment with it.

        Best wishes

        John Cornelisse
        Enkidu-Press Holland

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        _____
      • Maurene Fritz/Yehuda Miklaf
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
          I recently had to print a cover picture on bookcloth for an edition I was
          binding. I had trouble getting the colour to cover well (it was white on
          black). Folllowing the advice of a seasoned printer I printed first with
          transparent white for a base, and then with opaque white. The results were
          good, but not good enough, so I had it screen printed.

          Yehuda Miklaf
        • Regis Graden
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
            Hot foil stamping is the best method to imprint most book covers, period. Silk screen comes in probably second.

            Tough Tex or a good stiff, quality Oil Based ink can be successfully used on relatively smooth coated cloth covers with moderate impression.

            In the 1950s I printed school dance card covers and invitations on a paper product called, I believe, Allure. It was fuzzy. If printed with the proper impression and the exact amount stiff ink it printed very nicely and was all the "rage" at the time.

            These recommendations are all from my experience, no guarantees.

            Good Luck,

            Regis

            amy_svc <a@...> wrote:
            Hi all~

            I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this topic, so
            I'll start a new thread:

            Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt before, and if
            so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?

            Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging around so that
            I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.

            Many thanks~
            Amy

          • hollowpress
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
              I printed my last cover on Iris bookcloth using N.A. Graphics tube
              ink. While the large print was not too bad, the smaller print was
              fuzzy - readable, certainly, but not crisp. I wouldn't do it again.
              I can't imagine printing on felt.
              Caryl Peters

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Regis Graden
              <regispolyplates@y...> wrote:
              > Hot foil stamping is the best method to imprint most book covers,
              period. Silk screen comes in probably second.

              > Tough Tex or a good stiff, quality Oil Based ink can be
              successfully used on relatively smooth coated cloth covers with
              moderate impression.

              > In the 1950s I printed school dance card covers and invitations on
              a paper product called, I believe, Allure. It was fuzzy. If printed
              with the proper impression and the exact amount stiff ink it printed
              very nicely and was all the "rage" at the time.

              > These recommendations are all from my experience, no guarantees.
              >
              > Good Luck,
              >
              > Regis
              >
              > amy_svc <a@...> wrote:
              > Hi all~
              >
              > I searched the archives, and did not find anything on this topic,
              so
              > I'll start a new thread:
              >
              > Has anyone out there letterpress printed on cloth/felt before, and
              if
              > so, what ink do you recommend for the most endurance?
              >
              > Toughtex (sp?) has been recommended... I'm just digging around so
              that
              > I don't start from square 1 when I do my own testing.
              >
              > Many thanks~
              > Amy

              Service.