Re: Negs

  • John G. Henry
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
      In general Flexo work, the image needs to be reduced in one
      dimension to allow for the stretch that occurs when the plate is
      wrapped around the circumference of the cylinder. As far as I know
      that is the only reason someone might send out their negative-making
      for flexo, and that would seem to me to be something which could be
      controlled in the printing set-up parameters when printing to the
      imagesetter.

      Ordinary litho negs should work well for you as long as the image is
      laterally reversed so that it is Right-reading-emulsion-up.

      You have two options when camera-exposing negative films. One is (as
      was suggested) to make the camera-ready image wrong-reading. These
      days that is easy to do if your camera-ready copy if output on a
      laser printer. The other is to shoot through the base of the film.
      At one time Kodak and other manufacturers made special films which
      had no anti-halation layer so you could easily expose through the
      base of the film. With the current state ofd silver-based films, I
      doubt that material is still available. You can get good results by
      exposing through the base, but the exposures are significantly
      longer and extremely fine detail might be lost in the process.

      When I was in school at RIT, we had a Klimpsch camera which had a
      built-in mirror which laterally reversed the image to produce
      letterpress negatives. I doubt that any of those Klimpsch cameras
      are still in use.

      The imagesetter, if available at a reasonable cost and convenience,
      is certainly the very best way to produce negatives today.

      John Henry
      Cedar Creek Press
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T. Metz"