RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: Negs

  • Michael T. Metz
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hi Gerald,
      I don't know what the problem would be. The shop told me that
      they outsourced the film imaging that went into flexo. The
      estimator I spoke with didn't know the details.
      Mike

        wrote:
        > I'm getting some guff ordering negs to make my own plates. Is there
        > a good reason why an imagesetter setup for offset litho would give
        > me problems?
        >
        > Mike

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Sue Ereio
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
          I think he still has a letterpress machine for sale..it comes with 3
          chases...some type and other items..give him a call

          And he can let you know the status..also he sell polymer plate material.

          GeneBecker@...

          1-718-454-0654

          Sincerely,

          Sue Ereio

          Individual Papers

          sue@...

          Ph:401-738-2525

          Fax: 401-736-9866

          " The natural deckle edge is the signature of the finest handmade papers"

          This email was scanned using McAfee and is virus free!

          _____

          wrote:
          > I'm getting some guff ordering negs to make my own plates. Is there
          > a good reason why an imagesetter setup for offset litho would give
          > me problems?
          >
          > Mike

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "PPLetterpress
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress> " on the web.

          _____

        • Charles Jones
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
            Hello Judi,
            Were you using ortho film negatives? I have used same and had good
            success. The ultra-violet light needs to be from a generalized source
            rather than a point source ( like a metal halide light) and has a
            specific frequency range. Why not buy a plate and use a 21 step
            stouffer sensitivity guide to see if your system works in a reasonable
            time. Somewhere in the archives there is a detailed work flow for
            making film negatives for polymer plates submitted by someone from LA.
            Forget who. I will look for it later,
            Cheers, Charlie

            On Jul 1, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Judith Behr wrote:

            > I am very new to all this. I do have a couple of offset presses and
            > before I bought a laser plate system, I tray processed almost all my
            > film. When I get a letterpress, will I be able to use my camera/tray
            > processing to make film and my regular plate burner to burn the
            > plates? If the emulsion needs to be up & right reading, then my camera
            > ready needs to be reversed, is this correct?
            >
            > Also if anyone knows of a letterpress for sale, I am in Southern
            > California.
            >
            > Judi

            LaNana Creek Press
            13001 SFA Station
            Nacogdoches, TX 75962
          • John G. Henry
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5, 2005
              In general Flexo work, the image needs to be reduced in one
              dimension to allow for the stretch that occurs when the plate is
              wrapped around the circumference of the cylinder. As far as I know
              that is the only reason someone might send out their negative-making
              for flexo, and that would seem to me to be something which could be
              controlled in the printing set-up parameters when printing to the
              imagesetter.

              Ordinary litho negs should work well for you as long as the image is
              laterally reversed so that it is Right-reading-emulsion-up.

              You have two options when camera-exposing negative films. One is (as
              was suggested) to make the camera-ready image wrong-reading. These
              days that is easy to do if your camera-ready copy if output on a
              laser printer. The other is to shoot through the base of the film.
              At one time Kodak and other manufacturers made special films which
              had no anti-halation layer so you could easily expose through the
              base of the film. With the current state ofd silver-based films, I
              doubt that material is still available. You can get good results by
              exposing through the base, but the exposures are significantly
              longer and extremely fine detail might be lost in the process.

              When I was in school at RIT, we had a Klimpsch camera which had a
              built-in mirror which laterally reversed the image to produce
              letterpress negatives. I doubt that any of those Klimpsch cameras
              are still in use.

              The imagesetter, if available at a reasonable cost and convenience,
              is certainly the very best way to produce negatives today.

              John Henry
              Cedar Creek Press