RE: [PPLetterpress] Digest Number 136

  • Martyn Ould
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2002
      Damping and redamping.

      I have printed verso and recto on the same damping. Of course you get some
      ink coming off onto the tympan on the verso run, but if you are using (eg)
      Mylar or Melinex for your tympan it wipes off pretty easily every so often,
      depending on how meticulous you are. If you keep every sheet in a plastic
      bag unless it is on the press you more or less remove problems with drying
      and poor registration. On a heavy handmade I found that damping increased
      dimensions by about 5% each way so it is important. Set off does not seem to
      be a problem provided you keep the post size down to say 50 sheets (Rummonds
      has something to say about this as I remember). I generally go into 1:1
      blotting interleaving straight off the press anyway. I have never seen any
      problems with harm to the recto printing. On one job I was nervous of
      set-off between recto and verso runs so used thin plastic sheets as
      interleaving.

      I have also redamped after drying the recto. Providing you damp the same
      amount (eg using the alternating wet sheet and N dry sheets approach)
      registration seems to be fine. I have even damped sheets with pochoir on
      (eeek - don't ask) but I had to use gash interleaving sheets to handle set
      off of the pochoir.

      Best wishes, Martyn Ould

      The Old School Press

      Katie Harper:
      This discussion about dampening paper has been VERY useful, and thanks to
      all who have contributed such good advice. I don't recall seeing anything
      about when work is to be printed on both sides, as in book production. Is it
      possible to dampen paper if it's been printed on one side without harming
      the previous printing?