RE: [PPLetterpress] contact frames

  • Joel Benson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2001
      "Any hints on increasing success with hand washout?

      Katie Harper
      Cincinnati, OH"

      I've only hand-washed a few plates, when the motor in the washout
      machine I was using was broken. I just laid the plate face down on the
      brushes and rubbed, and it worked, but I remember it did weaken the
      small stuff (periods) and I had to re-do at least one of them.

      The thing I noticed is that when you expose your image or type or
      whatever, the polymer is not hardened all the way down to the backing
      material. It is only in the post-exposure that the shoulders and the
      under layers of the type/image are hardened. Consequently, during the
      washout, the shoulders of the type are weak, and easily washed away.

      I think the hardened face of the type protects the shoulders from the
      brush when the bristles are oriented close to 90 degrees to the face of
      the plate and only lightly and evenly touching. This precise
      brush-plate contact is harder to maintain by hand, so it is easier to
      undercut your printing surface, allowing things to wash away or get
      substantially weakened.

      The only hint I can offer is light, careful brushing. However, I can
      think of two possible experiments; perhaps someone has already tried
      these and can comment on their results. First, does washing with cold
      water increase resistance to the bristles, allowing the shoulders to
      hold up better? Second, does the thinner plate material hold up better,
      because the initial exposure may harden closer to the backing material?
      The stuff I use is .028 or something, but I know it comes thinner, like
      .020 or some such. Maybe that makes a difference.

      Now my brain is going to be stuck all day on trying to think of a
      homemade jig for holding the plate flat and light against the bristles!
      If I think of something good, I'll post plans!

      Joel Benson
      Dependable Letterpress
      San Francisco
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2001
        Thanks to all who have offered hints on washing out by hand. I seem to
        recall that thinner plate material works better with hand-washing for some
        reason. I always assumed it allowed the washing out to be quicker, with less
        danger of washing away fine detail.

        To hold the plate in place while brushing over it, my old pal Chip Schilling
        in Minneapolis recommends putting down magnetic material in the bottom of a
        photo tray, using adhesive that is not soluble in water, of course. I tried
        this once with that thin magnetic stuff that you can get at Office Depot,
        etc., for putting business cards onto. I was never able to get it to stick
        to the tray, and the magnet on that stuff is very weak, so the plate would
        not stick to it. It was frustrating! But it should work, in theory!

        Katie Harper

        > From: "Joel Benson" <joel.benson@...>
        > Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:56:00 -0700
        > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: RE: [PPLetterpress] contact frames
        >
        > "Any hints on increasing success with hand washout?
        >
        > Katie Harper
        > Cincinnati, OH"
        >
        > I've only hand-washed a few plates, when the motor in the washout
        > machine I was using was broken. I just laid the plate face down on the
        > brushes and rubbed, and it worked, but I remember it did weaken the
        > small stuff (periods) and I had to re-do at least one of them.
        >
        > The thing I noticed is that when you expose your image or type or
        > whatever, the polymer is not hardened all the way down to the backing
        > material. It is only in the post-exposure that the shoulders and the
        > under layers of the type/image are hardened. Consequently, during the
        > washout, the shoulders of the type are weak, and easily washed away.
        >
        > I think the hardened face of the type protects the shoulders from the
        > brush when the bristles are oriented close to 90 degrees to the face of
        > the plate and only lightly and evenly touching. This precise
        > brush-plate contact is harder to maintain by hand, so it is easier to
        > undercut your printing surface, allowing things to wash away or get
        > substantially weakened.
        >
        > The only hint I can offer is light, careful brushing. However, I can
        > think of two possible experiments; perhaps someone has already tried
        > these and can comment on their results. First, does washing with cold
        > water increase resistance to the bristles, allowing the shoulders to
        > hold up better? Second, does the thinner plate material hold up better,
        > because the initial exposure may harden closer to the backing material?
        > The stuff I use is .028 or something, but I know it comes thinner, like
        > ..020 or some such. Maybe that makes a difference.
        >
        > Now my brain is going to be stuck all day on trying to think of a
        > homemade jig for holding the plate flat and light against the bristles!
        > If I think of something good, I'll post plans!
        >
        > Joel Benson
        > Dependable Letterpress
        > San Francisco

      • Joel Benson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2001
          The stuff they use for making those signs that stick on doors of cars
          and trucks is heavier and stronger than the stuff they use for
          business-card-type magnets. There may be an even heavier-duty product
          out there, since I think this rubber magnet stuff has applications in
          electric motors and other industrial machines, but I wouldn't know how
          to spec it.

          I found a website that sells it pretty cheap, but it may be easier to
          get the small piece you need from a local sign shop.

          http://www.beacongraphics.com/magnetic.html

          Joel Benson
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2001
            Dear Joel and all

            You can get rubber magnetic sheeting of the type used in plate washout
            units and also, I understand, on the PatMag, from Anderson & Vreeland
            (tradenamed MagBack), and I suspect from other plate processing
            machine manufacturers. It can be glued down with contact cement (to a
            sheet of 3/8 inch Plexiglas) for water washout uses. Bunting Magnetics
            also sells an amazing variety of the stuff, whatever configuration you
            can come up with, they have it. Handy stuff, we use it all around the
            shop. Recently needed to raise a glass collotype plate to about type
            high on an iron hand press. Stuff worked great. One piece double
            sticked to the glas and away you go, with the added benefit of some
            useful resiliance under pressure of the platen.

            Ger

            "Joel Benson" <joel.benson@p...> wrote:
            > The stuff they use for making those signs that stick on doors of cars
            > and trucks is heavier and stronger than the stuff they use for
            > business-card-type magnets. There may be an even heavier-duty product
            > out there, since I think this rubber magnet stuff has applications in
            > electric motors and other industrial machines, but I wouldn't know how
            > to spec it.
          • D. McNaughton
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 26, 2001
              Years ago I had a commercial photopolymer unit that had a stainless steel
              plate that was slid into the washout tank. The PP plate was attached to this
              plate with 3M(I think) Tessa 10 double sided tape so I would think that a
              similar idea in a tray for hand washing would work ok.

              David McNaughton
              Toora Australia