Re: troubleshooting

    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
      Harold

      I actually prefer the BASF, especially for halftones or very fine
      detail though I am not sure I have quite figured out the correct
      washout for them as they never seem finished to me. The surface
      texture is ideal, but yes, they do stink and crud up the bath. I like
      plates that indicate by color, surface and subsurface, which both the
      BASF and the Toyobo do. For some reason I think it helps clarify
      things for me.

      There are probably a lot better plates out there, BASF is getting to
      be rather old technology I'd think (maybe that's not bad though).
      Would appreciate any info you discover in this regard.

      You might like this: When I first started buying photopolymer plates I
      went to visit my processor and discovered a completely different plate
      on his press (a BASF). I asked him why he didn't sell those to his
      clients. He didn't miss a beat, "Because my customers are too f***ing
      cheap."

      At any rate, I keep profiles on clients as to their needs and
      expectations and often process plates based on various formulas I have
      used. I think the Toyobos require much less exposure and much more
      washout (than the reps tell you) to get to finer detail and better
      substructure. I've run Jets at the same formula and they are not quite
      there. So I assume they have their own configuration. But I don't use
      them or sell them so don't know what that would be.

      Once again, good luck with the move.

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@b...> wrote:
      > On 6/3/05 5:45 PM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...> wrote:
      > > My comment about higher grade plate brand had nothing to do with
      Toyobo.
      > I'm sorry--I thought that was the plate that you preferred. Would a
      higher
      > grade be BASF? Are there any other plates that you consider top of
      the line?

      > > so it is essentially
      > > misleading to compare them or any other plate brand in the manner that
      > > you suggest.
      > The test I did showed that the Printight plate gained more with less
      detail.
      > To get more detail I would have had to increase exposure, causing
      more gain.
      > I relied on the rep selling Printight to dial in the right numbers.
      But I

      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 4, 2005
        Hi Charles

        No vacuum gauge? How did you find that out?

        Geez, this was all sort of a big waste of time then wasn't it? If it
        does nothing else, a gauge will tell you when vacuum is iffy, and, if
        it reveals release during exposure, your plate/s just went south. Kind
        of an important feature.

        Gerald