Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: troubleshooting

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
      On 6/3/05 5:45 PM, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...> wrote:
      > My comment about higher grade plate brand had nothing to do with Toyobo.
      I'm sorry--I thought that was the plate that you preferred. Would a higher
      grade be BASF? Are there any other plates that you consider top of the line?

      > so it is essentially
      > misleading to compare them or any other plate brand in the manner that
      > you suggest.
      The test I did showed that the Printight plate gained more with less detail.
      To get more detail I would have had to increase exposure, causing more gain.
      I relied on the rep selling Printight to dial in the right numbers. But I
      agree that this is a slippery issue, and best left up to the printer's
      judgement. I'm stating my personal preference and standing up for it based
      on tests I've done. The differences between brands are minimal but when I
      print I have the attitude: "I need all the help I can get." I really wish I
      could afford BASF plates, and I might consider using them more if they
      didn't smell so much!

      > Just out of curiosity, would you have switched brands if Toyobo had
      > surpassed the Jet in your comparison test?
      We sell Printight plates alongside Jet and BASF plates, so we're very
      familiar with the Printight brand in relation to the competition. We prefer
      them for intaglio processing. The pricing is comparable with Jet plates, so
      yes I would be tempted to switch brands if I felt the plates were equally
      sharp on the letterpress. The Printight salesman hasn't given up--we may be
      troubleshooting the gain issues soon. For now, I'm sticking with the plates
      that I know are going to give the best results.

      I'll be back on Monday! The trailer's loaded up and ready to go.

      Harold

      Boxcar Press
    • LA. Book Arts
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
        All,

        the problem she has is with the machine, the machine doesn't seem to
        have a gage for vacuum pressure, so basically she has no way of knowing
        if she has enough or what.
        The exposing of a plate with Film is a very critical stage of
        platemaking, a good vacuum, a good piece of Film and it's smooth
        sailing. I just made 65 9.5 x13 inch plates (WH 94) for a book project
        the other day.
        If you have no way of measuring your action it is very difficult to
        repeat it over and over.

        charles

        www.custombindery.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
          Harold

          I actually prefer the BASF, especially for halftones or very fine
          detail though I am not sure I have quite figured out the correct
          washout for them as they never seem finished to me. The surface
          texture is ideal, but yes, they do stink and crud up the bath. I like
          plates that indicate by color, surface and subsurface, which both the
          BASF and the Toyobo do. For some reason I think it helps clarify
          things for me.

          There are probably a lot better plates out there, BASF is getting to
          be rather old technology I'd think (maybe that's not bad though).
          Would appreciate any info you discover in this regard.

          You might like this: When I first started buying photopolymer plates I
          went to visit my processor and discovered a completely different plate
          on his press (a BASF). I asked him why he didn't sell those to his
          clients. He didn't miss a beat, "Because my customers are too f***ing
          cheap."

          At any rate, I keep profiles on clients as to their needs and
          expectations and often process plates based on various formulas I have
          used. I think the Toyobos require much less exposure and much more
          washout (than the reps tell you) to get to finer detail and better
          substructure. I've run Jets at the same formula and they are not quite
          there. So I assume they have their own configuration. But I don't use
          them or sell them so don't know what that would be.

          Once again, good luck with the move.

          Gerald

          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 4, 2005
            Hi Charles

            No vacuum gauge? How did you find that out?

            Geez, this was all sort of a big waste of time then wasn't it? If it
            does nothing else, a gauge will tell you when vacuum is iffy, and, if
            it reveals release during exposure, your plate/s just went south. Kind
            of an important feature.

            Gerald